Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Hen <ba...@apache.org> on 2018/06/22 00:20:22 UTC

Committer/PPMC votes

I’m wondering what a -1 means on a committer vote.

https://community.apache.org/newcommitter.html says “and no vetoes”, while
https://www.apache.org/foundation/voting.html does not list a new committer
vote as a “technical” vote.

My assumption is that the rules for voting for an Apache member are the
same as for voting for a PMC member or a committer. Ideally there are no
-1s, but at the end of the day it’s a majority vote.

ie: I think newcommitter.html is buggy.

Thoughts?

Hen

Re: Committer/PPMC votes

Posted by Matt Sicker <bo...@gmail.com>.
From what I remember reading, the only votes that really seem to require
consensus are kicking people out.

Matt Sicker <bo...@gmail.com>

Re: Committer/PPMC votes

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@codeconsult.ch>.
Hi,

Re: Committer/PPMC votes

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com>.
Roy said a while ago that for (P)PMC votes, a -1 is a veto. It is basically
saying, "I cannot work with this person". And corollary, "I should not have
to".

Cheers,
-g

Re: Committer/PPMC votes

Posted by Hen <ba...@apache.org>.
Interesting.

Re: Committer/PPMC votes

Re: Committer/PPMC votes

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

> Agreed. It does not discuss having a [DISCUSS] thread before the [VOTE]. It is important to do that because then an objection (-1) can be discussed properly. There can be many reasons that a PMC member might object and these need to expressed. Not doing so might lose PMC members and hurt the community.
>
> I wanted to give this advice recently and was rather disappointed that I could not find documentation about an actual [DISCUSS] thread.

Perhaps this? [1]

Justin

1. https://community.apache.org/committers/voting.html#preparing-for-a-vote

Re: Committer/PPMC votes

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.
> On Jun 21, 2018, at 5:20 PM, Hen <ba...@apache.org> wrote:
>
> I’m wondering what a -1 means on a committer vote.
>
> https://community.apache.org/newcommitter.html says “and no vetoes”, while
> https://www.apache.org/foundation/voting.html does not list a new committer
> vote as a “technical” vote.
>
> My assumption is that the rules for voting for an Apache member are the
> same as for voting for a PMC member or a committer. Ideally there are no
> -1s, but at the end of the day it’s a majority vote.
>
> ie: I think newcommitter.html is buggy.

Agreed. It does not discuss having a [DISCUSS] thread before the [VOTE]. It is important to do that because then an objection (-1) can be discussed properly. There can be many reasons that a PMC member might object and these need to expressed. Not doing so might lose PMC members and hurt the community.

I wanted to give this advice recently and was rather disappointed that I could not find documentation about an actual [DISCUSS] thread.

Regards,
Dave