Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Mike <mi...@twilight-systems.com> on 2001/07/31 04:51:57 UTC

Tomcat 4.05b - recompile required for SSL?

I downloaded the 4.05b binaries, and I'm trying to get SSL to work.

Is a recompile required?

Re: Tomcat 4.05b - recompile required for SSL?

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.
On 31 Jul 2001, Lloyd Llewellyn wrote:

> > It is "drop-in" in the sense that any app that works under b5 should work
> > unchanged under b6.  However, I would never ever ever ever :-) try to
> > install Tomcat or any other package "on top of" an existing directory
> > containing a different version.  That's just asking for weird and wild
> > bugs caused by directory structure reorganizations between versions.
> >
> > Do yourself a favor and install b6 into a new directory, and copy your
> > webapps (and server.xml file, if needed) over.
>
> Generally good advice, but considering that this is an "upgrade" from
> version 4.0b5 to 4.0b6, it's not unreasonable to consider that
> architectural elements like directory structure have remained the
> same...  Quite possible that nothing but the class files have been
> changed.

I've seen lots of people get bit by this kind of assumption, even on point
releases and often even on patches.  Therefore, I would suggest that
people assume it *is* unreasonable :-).

In the particular case of Tomcat 4, it is *definitely* unreasonable to
assume directory organization stability until a final release occurs.
It's very common during beta cycles to move stuff around because it works
better in a different arrangement.

Craig (yes, I'm one of the bitten-ee's so this is voice of experience :-)

Re: Tomcat 4.05b - recompile required for SSL?

Posted by Lloyd Llewellyn <su...@twilight-systems.com>.

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.

On 31 Jul 2001, Lloyd Llewellyn wrote:

> > Also, you should really download "beta 6" instead -- a boatload of bugs
> > have been fixed since "beta 5".
>
> Thanks, I'll do that.  Is it a drop-in replacement for b5 (just copy
> over class files)?

It is "drop-in" in the sense that any app that works under b5 should work
unchanged under b6.  However, I would never ever ever ever :-) try to
install Tomcat or any other package "on top of" an existing directory
containing a different version.  That's just asking for weird and wild
bugs caused by directory structure reorganizations between versions.

Do yourself a favor and install b6 into a new directory, and copy your
webapps (and server.xml file, if needed) over.

Craig McClanahan

Re: Tomcat 4.05b - recompile required for SSL?

Posted by Lloyd Llewellyn <su...@twilight-systems.com>.

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.

On 30 Jul 2001, Mike wrote:

> I downloaded the 4.05b binaries, and I'm trying to get SSL to work.
>
> Is a recompile required?

No ... following the instructions in the comments inside conf/server.xml
is required, though.