Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by Michael Kjellman <mk...@barracuda.com> on 2012/12/11 09:47:19 UTC

Vnode migration path

So I'm wondering if anyone has given thought to their migration path to Vnodes. Other than having a separate cluster and migrating the data from the old cluster to the vnode cluster what else can we do.

One suggestion I've heard is start up a second Cassandra instance on each node on different ports and migrate between nodes that way.

Best,
mike

'Like' us on Facebook for exclusive content and other resources on all Barracuda Networks solutions.
Visit http://barracudanetworks.com/facebook

Re: Vnode migration path

Posted by Eric Evans <ee...@acunu.com>.
On Tue, Dec 11, 2012 at 4:28 PM, Michael Kjellman
<mk...@barracuda.com> wrote:
> Awesome (and very welcomed news), what kind of failure conditions can we
> expect if a node goes down during the migration?

A shuffle is just a bunch of moves mapped out ahead of time, and
worked through by each node incrementally.  These mappings are
persisted, so a node that went down during a shuffle would simply pick
back up where it left off when it came back online.

A node irrecoverably failing mid-shuffle would likely require some
intervention to sort out.

Either way, there won't be any other impact to the cluster beyond what
is normally caused by a down node.

--
Eric Evans
Acunu | http://www.acunu.com | @acunu