Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Riaan Oberholzer <ri...@yahoo.com> on 2004/02/28 23:07:41 UTC

Tomcat session/load capacity?

How many simulataneous sessions can Tomcat handle and
is it configurable?

Would a Tomcat server be able to handle a website with
10,000 - 15,000 hits per day on a standard linux
server? MySQL underneath.

Re: Tomcat session/load capacity?

Posted by Tim Funk <fu...@joedog.org>.
Nope. You can an OOM exception. Because there is no way to detect in a JVM
when you'll run out of memory.

Like any web-application, the server strength depends as much on how the
application is architected and written as well as the load it will take.
Everything after that is trade offs. For example - if the web app is very
user specific - on login, you could load all the information about the user
into memory and never  query the database again for that user - but the
tradeoff is your webapp is not scalable with respect to memory. But instead
you could use the database for every tracnsaction - but then you need to make
sure your DB design is good/effecient and your db server can handle the load
since that might be the bottleneck and not your webapp.

-Tim

Posted by Riaan Oberholzer <ri...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Tim Funk <fu...@joedog.org>.