Posted to dev@cayenne.apache.org by Nikita Timofeev <nt...@objectstyle.com> on 2022/07/28 11:44:02 UTC

Ant and eclipse related things in the pom.xml

Hi all,

I'm cleaning up project structure a bit. And I have a question about
things that I don't use and don't really know.

1. Ant and vpp dependency. This one is really the last that prevents
us from switching to the Maven Central repo instead of the custom one
we are using, I want to change a bit this feature and use reflection
to get rid of compile-time dependency. Is there anything I need to
worry about?

2. We have some sort of eclipse support in the main pom.xml [1] and I
don't know if it is still useful in any way and is there anybody
willing to support that. I want to just drop it completely, but wanted
to be sure.

[1] https://github.com/apache/cayenne/blob/master/pom.xml#L512

--
Best regards,
Nikita Timofeev

Re: Ant and eclipse related things in the pom.xml

Posted by Mike Kienenberger <mk...@gmail.com>.
> I remember, you mentioned it before. This is sad.

Yes, the last "new" project we used for Cayenne was in 2018, and that
was pretty much copying a small bit of the code base from my 3.1 app
into a small web service.

Actually, that project is using Cayenne 4.1 and maven.  I  thought
something was, but I had forgotten about this little web service.

Posted by Mike Kienenberger <mk...@gmail.com>.
[Offlist]

> So maybe the management needs a fresh pitch? :) Anyways, I am kidding. I am sure it was a conscious decision. It is what it is.

Yeah, the management in this case is the current president of the
utility, and he's decided to do away with custom applications
entirely.   Everything is being replaced with an off-the-shelf
product, and, while it's never been admitted out loud, he's probably
doing away with the IT department as well.

4 of the 7 full-time employees have left over the last year, with none
of them being replaced.   I tried to get a straight answer from my
manager back in May as to whether my contract would be renewed at the
end of the year, but while he was effusive about how he planned to
renew my contract, when pressed he couldn't give me any examples of
what I might be working on next year.

Posted by Andrus Adamchik <aa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Andrus Adamchik <aa...@gmail.com>.
Thanks, Mike! That makes it easy :)

>  If it's important to me or to someone else in the
> future, we can look into adding it back, but there are probably easier
> ways to do these things these days.

I agree.

Andrus

Posted by Mike Kienenberger <mk...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Andrus Adamchik <aa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Nikita Timofeev <nt...@objectstyle.com>.
If you are ready to keep it in a somewhat descent shape that would be
wonderful.

Posted by John Huss <jo...@gmail.com>.