Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by ant elder <an...@gmail.com> on 2007/10/12 10:42:00 UTC

[VOTE] Graduate Tuscany as a top level project

The Tuscany podling respectfully requests the Incubator to consider its
graduation to a Top Level Project.

While incubating Tuscany has made 14(!) releases, voted in 19 new
committers, survived conflicts, formed its PPMC, learned how to govern
itself, resolved licensing issues and an active community continues to grow
around Tuscany.

The community vote for graduation can be found on the Tuscany dev list at:
       http://www.mail-archive.com/tuscany-dev@ws.apache.org/msg24675.html

We have prepared the resolution below to be presented for consideration at
the upcoming Board meeting.

We invite everyone to vote to approve this proposal.

Many thanks,

   ...ant

Establish the Apache Tuscany project:

        interests of the Foundation and consistent with the Foundation's
        purpose to establish a Project Management Committee charged with
        the creation and maintenance of open-source software that
        simplifies the development and deployment of service oriented
        applications and provides a managed service-oriented runtime
        based on the standards defined by the OASIS OpenCSA group,
        for distribution at no charge to the public.

        Committee (PMC), to be known as the "Apache Tuscany Project",
        Foundation; and be it further

       RESOLVED, that the Apache Tuscany Project be and hereby is
        related to Apache Tuscany;
        and be it further

       RESOLVED, that the office of "Vice President, Apache Tuscany" be
        and hereby is created, the person holding such office to
        serve at the direction of the Board of Directors as the chair
        of the Apache Tuscany Project, and to have primary responsibility
        for management of the projects within the scope of
        responsibility of the Apache Tuscany Project; and be it further

        Apache Tuscany Project:

            Adriano Crestani            <adrianocrestani at apache dot org>
            Andrew Borley               <ajborley at apache dot org>
            Andy Grove                   <agrove at apache dot org>
            ant elder                       <antelder at apache dot org>
            Brady Johnson              <bjohnson at apache dot org>
            Frank Budinsky             <frankb at apache dot org>
            Ignacio Silva-Lepe          <isilval at apache dot org>
            Jean-Sebastien Delfino   <jsdelfino at apache dot org>
            kelvin goodson               <kelvingoodson at apache dot org>
            Luciano Resende           <lresende at apache dot org>
            Mike Edwards               <edwardsmj at apache dot org>
            Pete Robbins                <robbinspg at apache dot org>
            Raymond Feng              <rfeng at apache dot org>
            Simon Laws                  <slaws at apache dot org>
            Simon Nash                  <nash at apache dot org>
            Venkata Krishnan          <svkrish at apache dot org>

       NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED, that Ant Elder
        be appointed to the office of Vice President, Apache Tuscany, to
        serve in accordance with and subject to the direction of the
        death, resignation, retirement, removal or disqualification,
        or until a successor is appointed; and be it further

       RESOLVED, that the Apache Tuscany Project be and hereby
        Incubator Tuscany podling; and be it further

        Incubator Tuscany podling encumbered upon the Apache Incubator
        Project are hereafter discharged.

Re: [VOTE] Graduate Tuscany as a top level project

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
On 10/13/07, Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org> wrote:

> ...+1 for graduation, with these two edits....

Not sure if the vote is still going, but considering the current
discussions and uncertainty about community diversity, I change my
vote to a +0.

IMHO, our current "3 independent committers" rule needs to be refined
(see also the "Graduation: how do we check "three or more independent
committers" thread here).

-Bertrand

Re: [VOTE] Graduate Tuscany as a top level project

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.

Posted by Matthieu Riou <ma...@offthelip.org>.
+1 on graduation, with the two edits proposed by Mike (comma before "based"
and "on but not limited to"). SOA is often used as a buzzword but it's also
unfortunately the only acronym available for that style of architecture.

Good luck guys!

Posted by Venkata Krishnan <fo...@gmail.com>.
Seems ok with me too.

- Venkat

Posted by Mike Edwards <mi...@gmail.com>.
Folks,

ant elder wrote:
> On 10/17/07, Simon Nash <na...@hursley.ibm.com> wrote:
> <snip>
>
> I wonder if we could shorten this just a little.  How about:
>> "...establish a Project Management Committee charged with the creation
>> and maintenance of open-source software for distribution at no charge
>> to the public, that simplifies the development, deployment and management
>> of distributed applications built as compositions of service components.
>> These components may be implemented with a range of technologies and
>> connected using a variety of communication protocols. This software will
>> implement relevant open standards including, but not limited to, the
>> SCA and SDO standards defined by the OASIS OpenCSA member section."
>

> That sounds ok to me, is everyone else happy with these words?
>
>    ...ant

Yes, fine with me.

Yours,  Mike.

Re: [VOTE] Graduate Tuscany as a top level project

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.
For the record, I am voting -1 on graduation.
I do not feel that Tuscany has sufficient "real" diversity,
at this time, for graduation.

Re: [VOTE] Graduate Tuscany as a top level project

Posted by kelvin goodson <ke...@gmail.com>.
Looks good to me.

Kelvin.

Posted by Simon Laws <si...@googlemail.com>.
On 10/18/07, Raymond Feng <en...@gmail.com> wrote:

> It looks pretty good to me.
>
> Thanks,
> Raymond

Simon

Re: [VOTE] Graduate Tuscany as a top level project

Posted by Raymond Feng <en...@gmail.com>.
It looks pretty good to me.

Thanks,
Raymond

Posted by ant elder <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Simon Nash <na...@hursley.ibm.com>.

Posted by Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com>.
> [...]

> > at no charge to the public, that simplifies the development,
> > deployment and management of distributed applications built as
> > compositions of service components, where the components may be
> > written using any of a wide range of programming languages and where
> > the components can be connected using any of a wide range of
> > communication technologies. This software will implement relevant open
> > standards
> > including, but not limited to, the SCA and SDO standards defined by
> > the OASIS OpenCSA member section."
> >

> > Yours,  Mike.
> >

> This version looks better to me. I was a little mystified by the
> "linguistically heterogeneous" part as well :) I like the "built as
> compositions of service components" which describes well what we do in
> Tuscany and the fact that you explicitly mention the SCA and SDO standards.

Luciano Resende
Apache Tuscany Committer
http://people.apache.org/~lresende
http://lresende.blogspot.com/

Re: [VOTE] Graduate Tuscany as a top level project

Posted by Jean-Sebastien Delfino <js...@apache.org>.

Posted by Mike Edwards <mi...@gmail.com>.
Folks,

Posted by ant elder <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.
On 10/13/07, Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 10/13/07, ant elder <an...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 10/13/07, Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
> > So bringing together all the comments so far gives something like:
> >
> > ...establish a Project Management Committee charged with the
> > creation and maintenance of open-source software that simplifies
> > the development, deployment and management of distributed
> > applications composed of independently acting, loosely coupled,
> > linguistically hetrogenous components connected using any of a
> > wide range of communication technologies. This software will implement
> > relevant open standards including, but not limited to, standards defined
> > by the OASIS OpenCSA group, for distribution at no charge to the public.
>
> the concatination makes last sentence is a little ambiguous. might be
> better to either start another sentence

it's wonderfully ironic that my grammar critique is not a sentence (or
at least, not in english)

- robert

Re: [VOTE] Graduate Tuscany as a top level project

Posted by Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.

Posted by ant elder <an...@gmail.com>.
> [...]
> close to  'derived from'. it's also a long sentence. perhaps something
> like
>
> "Tuscany will implement relevant open standards including ..."
>
> would be better
>
> - robert

So bringing together all the comments so far gives something like:

...establish a Project Management Committee charged with the
creation and maintenance of open-source software that simplifies
the development, deployment and management of distributed
applications composed of independently acting, loosely coupled,
linguistically hetrogenous components connected using any of a
wide range of communication technologies. This software will implement
relevant open standards including, but not limited to, standards defined
by the OASIS OpenCSA group, for distribution at no charge to the public.

I'll wait a while to see if there's any further comments over this and if
not restart a clean vote thread.

   ...ant

RE: [VOTE] Graduate Tuscany as a top level project

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
Robert Burrell Donkin wrote:

> "Tuscany will implement relevant open standards including ..."

As previously noted, the core standards for Tuscany are SCA and SDO, with
others as desired by the community.  What distinguishes Tuscany from
ServiceMix from Synapse is:

  Tuscany: SCA / SDO
  ServiceMix: JBI
  Synapse: WSDL / SOAP

	--- Noel

Re: [VOTE] Graduate Tuscany as a top level project

Posted by Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.
On 10/12/07, Mike Edwards <mi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Robert Burrell Donkin wrote:
> > <snip>
> >
> > On 10/12/07, ant elder <an...@gmail.com> wrote:

<snip>

> > 2. grrr SOA! i'm unclear what this really means in this case. though
> > i've been following the lists for quite a while now, i still find it
> > really hard to understand the target use cases are for tuscany. is it
> > possible to accurately describe what what tuscany is used for without
> > using buzzwords?
> >

> I must admit that I hadn't perceived "SOA" as a buzzword. I agree that
> it is a deliberately imprecise term, but that it does describe a general
> architectural approach to building applications.  Do you think we need
> to build some paragraphs here that describe what service-oriented
> architecture means?

the problem with meta-architectures is that most have no canonical
definition or description and so the same term means different things
to different people. once a meta-architecture gets hot, it leads to
outbreaks of Humpty Dumpty syndrome - "When I use a word, it means
exactly what I intend it to mean, no more, no less.". IMHO SOA has now
reached this stage.

> As for the target use cases for Tuscany - it is when you want to build a
> distributed application from independently acting, loosely coupled
> service components, which may be written using any of a range of
> programming technologies (Java, C++, Ruby, PHP....) and which may be
> connected using any of a range of communication technologies (Web
> services, REST, JMS, RMI-IIOP....).
                  ^^^^^

Posted by Mike Edwards <mi...@gmail.com>.
Folks,

> [...]

> based on the standards defined by the OASIS OpenCSA group
>
> vs
>
> (simplifies the development and deployment of service oriented
> applications) and ((provides a managed service-oriented runtime)
> based on the standards defined by the OASIS OpenCSA group)

It's the former and I think we can improve the text by adding a comma
before "based".

> 4. does tuscany really want to limit itself to a single standard? if
> another organisation created standards in this same area, would
> tuscany really wish to exclude itself from creating an implementation?

No, Tuscany does not want to limit itself - indeed it already uses other
standards like some of the WS-* standards.  We had thought that the
wording above didn't imply any limitation, but if we're mistaken in that
view, perhaps we need to add some explicit words like:

Yours,  Mike.

Re: [VOTE] Graduate Tuscany as a top level project

Posted by Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.
<snip>

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.
nt elder wrote:
> The Tuscany podling respectfully requests the Incubator to consider its
> graduation to a Top Level Project.
>
> While incubating Tuscany has made 14(!) releases, voted in 19 new
> committers, survived conflicts, formed its PPMC, learned how to govern
> itself, resolved licensing issues and an active community continues to grow
> around Tuscany.
>
> The community vote for graduation can be found on the Tuscany dev list at:
>        http://www.mail-archive.com/tuscany-dev@ws.apache.org/msg24675.html

+1 for graduation.

I respect the calls for finer analysis and stronger standards for diversity,
but I just don't see this holding up Tuscany's graduation.

If there were issues that Tuscany was failing to consider strong prospects for
committership and committee membership, that issue would fall on the board (as
with any ASF project).  I trust they are not trying to preserve the status quo,
but actively seek new committers and new PMC members.

Bill

Re: [VOTE] Graduate Tuscany as a top level project

Posted by Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.
On 10/12/07, ant elder <an...@gmail.com> wrote:

<snip>

some grammar queries

> Establish the Apache Tuscany project:
>
>        WHEREAS, the Board of Directors deems it to be in the best
>         interests of the Foundation and consistent with the Foundation's
>         purpose to establish a Project Management Committee charged with
>         the creation and maintenance of open-source software that
                                                                 ^^^^^^^
http://www.apache.org/foundation/records/certificate.html uses open source

>         simplifies the development and deployment of service oriented

              ^^^^^^^^^^
>         applications and provides a managed service-oriented runtime

 ^^^^^^^^^

which is right?

- robert

Re: [VOTE] Graduate Tuscany as a top level project

Posted by ant elder <an...@gmail.com>.
> [...]
>             Raymond Feng              <rfeng at apache dot org>
>             Simon Laws                  <slaws at apache dot org>
>             Simon Nash                  <nash at apache dot org>
>             Venkata Krishnan          <svkrish at apache dot org>
>
>        NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED, that Ant Elder
>         be appointed to the office of Vice President, Apache Tuscany, to
>         serve in accordance with and subject to the direction of the
>         Board of Directors and the Bylaws of the Foundation until
>         death, resignation, retirement, removal or disqualification,
>         or until a successor is appointed; and be it further
>
>        RESOLVED, that the Apache Tuscany Project be and hereby
>         is tasked with the migration and rationalization of the Apache
>         Incubator Tuscany podling; and be it further
>
>        RESOLVED, that all responsibilities pertaining to the Apache
>         Incubator Tuscany podling encumbered upon the Apache Incubator

Thanks to everyone who's commented on this thread. Looks like we've come up
with words that people are happy with but we shall hold off restarting the
vote till all the discussions around minimum diversity requirements reach
more consensus.

The latest words are:

Posted by Davanum Srinivas <da...@gmail.com>.
+1 (IPMC and ex-Mentor :)

-- dims

Posted by Paul Fremantle <pz...@gmail.com>.
+1 from me (IPMC and Mentor)

Paul

Posted by ant elder <an...@gmail.com>.
On 10/13/07, Noel J. Bergman <noel@devtech.com > wrote:

> Ant,
>
> Are there any issues that should be pointed out, such as the (hopefully)
> mechanical licensing header issue in stdcxx, or community diversity, which
> at least in part is measuring independence from corporate backing (a
> popular
> thread this past month)?  It seems that the latter should be well in hand,
> but I'll not assume.  :-)
>
>         --- Noel

Tuscany has no legal or licensing issues that I'm aware of. RAT has been run
numerous times over all the releases we've done, and the code scrutinized in
lots of release reviews (and from all those release review comments the
Tuscany ppmc have a learnt lots about the Apache release requirements). The
biggest recent issue was when a dependency on bouncycastle got added but
we've removed that for now till the IDEA patent issues are resolved.

There were 11 committers when the Tuscany poddling was first created and
over the course of incubation 19 new committers have been added giving a
diversity of something like 5 or 6 different companies and several
independents. Not all of those are currently active, and a couple probably
wont ever be again, but others may become active again from time to time
depending on their own needs and uses of Tuscany. There does still remain at
least the minimum of three legally independent committers, and the with so
many new committers being voted in over incubation it shows Tuscany is
completely open to accepting new people.

   ...ant

Re: [VOTE] Graduate Tuscany as a top level project

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.
On Oct 15, 2007, at 12:06 PM, Jeremy Boynes wrote:

> Noel
>
> I've expressed some concern before about diversity and independence
> [1]. At the time, 11 out of 12 members proposed for the TLP's PMC
> worked for a single organization. Since then, a couple more people
> have been added but the ratio is still 13 out of 16. Yes, there are
> 3 organizations represented but control still lies with one bloc.

FWIW, if I were a Mentor, I would not be of the mind to
approve graduation. CXF, a podling of which I am a Mentor, is
in a very, very similar position, and I will continue to
lobby against its graduation until there is more diversity.

IMO, this is a key aspect of Mentorship: looking beyond the
simple numbers and seeing how much diversity there really
is.

I have not yet cast my vote for Tuscany graduation yet, but I
am leaning towards a -1...

Re: [VOTE] Graduate Tuscany as a top level project

Posted by Paul Fremantle <pz...@gmail.com>.
I don't see that has any relevance to this discussion. If someone wants to
do a presentation about Apache HTTPD focussing on mod_proxy and mod_rewrite
it doesn't mean the other modules aren't important.

Paul

On 10/15/07, Jeremy Boynes <jb...@apache.org> wrote:

> On Oct 15, 2007, at 8:02 PM, Paul Fremantle wrote:
> > Is it stated somewhere that the Java SCA/SDO components are "core"
> > compared
> > to C++ and DAS?
>
> And then in a coincidence of timing, there is this:
> http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/ws-tuscany-dev/200710.mbox/%
> 3cOF8552AC0B.489D30F6-ON85257375.00501367-85257375.0050CA20@us.ibm.com
> %3e
>
> which makes no mention of either C++ or DAS.
> --
> Jeremy

Paul Fremantle
OASIS WS-RX TC Co-chair

blog: http://pzf.fremantle.org
paul@wso2.com

Re: [VOTE] Graduate Tuscany as a top level project

Posted by Jeremy Boynes <jb...@apache.org>.

Re: Graduate Tuscany as a top level project

Posted by Davanum Srinivas <da...@gmail.com>.
Just one example of the community bending over back wards to
accomodate Jim and Jeremy

http://www.mail-archive.com/tuscany-dev@ws.apache.org/msg05118.html

Please search for "chianti" in the archives to get the background.
Basically the trunk was abandoned and the revolutionary "fork" was
accepted *JUST* for community reasons.

thanks,
dims

Posted by Davanum Srinivas <da...@gmail.com>.
Noel,

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.

Posted by Jim Marino <jm...@myromatours.com>.
On Oct 21, 2007, at 10:52 AM, ant elder wrote:

>> independents?
>>
>>> If the bare minimum is the "3 legally independent committers" as
>>> defined
>> in
>>> the Incubator policy documents then Tuscany has more than the bare
>> minimum -
>>> and thats "active" committers.
>>
>> Can you compare those figures with Jeremy's statment:
>>
>>> at this time there are only 2 committers active[2] who don't work
>>> for
>>> that organization, compared to 11 who do. Neither of the two
>>> independents are active in the core project areas of Java SCA or SDO
>>> (they are committing to the C++ implementation or to DAS).
>>
>> and Simon Nash's:
>>
>>> In the last 2 months, 3 new committers have been added, one is in
>> progress
>>> as Paul has said, and one is being discussed.  Of these 5 people,
>>> one is
>>> IBM "day job" (me), one is IBM "non-day-job", and 3 are non-IBM.
>>
>> Simon seems to say three non-IBM and one IBM as a hobby, not day
>> job.  But
>> two of the five aren't committers *yet*.  Jeremy says two
>> indepdendents.
>> You're saying more than three.
>

> I think the breakdown is: current active committers are from IBM,
> RougeWave
> and two independents.
>
> I'm not sure exactly who does how many hours for a day job but i
> _think_ at
> least 3 of those IBM committers don't participate at all for their day
> jobs.
>
> Tuscany has 11 inactive committers (not contributed for months),
> from BEA,
> IBM, IONA and Redhat and two independents, I don't know if any of
> those will
> contribute again, last time i spoke to one of them they said they
> would but
> they were busy on other things just now.

Without getting involved in the rest of the discussions associated
with this thread, I do want to clarify one point...

About seven months ago, BEA decided to pursue an alternative
direction with the other active independents working on SCA at the
time when our goals diverged from others in the community. Speaking
for BEA, we made it clear on multiple occasions that while we wished
Tuscany success, given the divergent interests, we were satisfied
with our decision to participate elsewhere. It is unlikely we will
revisit this decision in the future.

Regards,
Jim

Re: [VOTE] Graduate Tuscany as a top level project

Posted by ant elder <an...@gmail.com>.
On 10/21/07, Noel J. Bergman <no...@devtech.com> wrote:

> Ant Elder wrote:
>
> > > Apparently a bare minimum, with very little active work from
> independents?
>
> > If the bare minimum is the "3 legally independent committers" as defined
> in
> > the Incubator policy documents then Tuscany has more than the bare
> minimum -
> > and thats "active" committers.
>
> Can you compare those figures with Jeremy's statment:
>
> > at this time there are only 2 committers active[2] who don't work for
> > that organization, compared to 11 who do. Neither of the two
> > independents are active in the core project areas of Java SCA or SDO
> > (they are committing to the C++ implementation or to DAS).
>
> and Simon Nash's:
>
> > In the last 2 months, 3 new committers have been added, one is in
> progress
> > as Paul has said, and one is being discussed.  Of these 5 people, one is
> > IBM "day job" (me), one is IBM "non-day-job", and 3 are non-IBM.
>
> Simon seems to say three non-IBM and one IBM as a hobby, not day job.  But
> two of the five aren't committers *yet*.  Jeremy says two indepdendents.
> You're saying more than three.

I think the breakdown is: current active committers are from IBM, RougeWave
and two independents.

I'm not sure exactly who does how many hours for a day job but i _think_ at
least 3 of those IBM committers don't participate at all for their day
jobs.

Tuscany has 11 inactive committers (not contributed for months), from BEA,
IBM, IONA and Redhat and two independents, I don't know if any of those will
contribute again, last time i spoke to one of them they said they would but
they were busy on other things just now.

There's two more new people being voted on presently, and the STATUS file
[1] shows new committers have been getting added every month or two over
most of the incubation.

So from that Tuscany does "more than meet" the minimum requirement of "at
least 3 legally independent committers". I've not seen this detail on
diversity and active versus inactive committers in other graduations - how
does Tuscany compare with other previously graduating poddlings?

   ...ant

[1] https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/tuscany/STATUS

RE: [VOTE] Graduate Tuscany as a top level project

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.

Posted by ant elder <an...@gmail.com>.
On 10/19/07, Noel J. Bergman <no...@devtech.com> wrote:

> Paul Fremantle wrote:
>
> > I think Tuscany is ready to graduate because:
> > 1) I understand it to have met the base requirements of the IPMC in
> terms
> of
> >    independent committers
>
> Apparently a bare minimum, with very little active work from independents?

If the bare minimum is the "3 legally independent committers" as defined in
the Incubator policy documents then Tuscany has more than the bare minimum -
and thats "active" committers. After two years in Incubation there are
inactive committers but we've been ignoring those for these graduation
discussions.

   ...ant

Re: Graduate Tuscany as a top level project

Posted by Vamsavardhana Reddy <c1...@gmail.com>.
I am glad that I brought up the discussion on Tuscany graduation with Bill
Rowe at ApacheConEU 2008.  Happy to see this gain momentum and the positive

++Vamsi

Posted by ant elder <an...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Apr 16, 2008 at 11:24 AM, ant elder <an...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 16, 2008 at 10:47 AM, William A. Rowe, Jr. <
> wrowe@rowe-clan.net> wrote:

> > Only that the community will be welcoming to newcomers and not treat the
> > ASF community-project as the "company's private project"; e.g. stdcxx is
> > largely one company, yet and still they brought across 2 mentors (Justin
> > and myself) to ensure we continue to foster community with the stdcxx
> > user community.  A good c++ programmer/open source library user is
> > always
> > a potential patch contributor, more akin to apr, and very unlike httpd,
> > and we see those users to become potential contributors.
> >
> > Niclas Hedhman wrote:
> > >

> > > Also, my personal and highly subjective interpretation of the (if
> > > present) intent around diversity boils down to one scenario;
> > >
> > > * A company pulls the plug for paid developers - will the project
> > > survive?
> > >

> > Actually I think we are far too obsessed with the prospects of letting
> > a given project or podling die.  So the project passes into lethargy
> > and it's time ends, what's really so "negative" about that?  We don't
> > hold committers to the grindstone, why should we treat employer
> > sponsored
> > committers any differently?
> >
> >  So, for the case of Tuscany; I am satisfied with the diversity goal,
> > > and encourage Tuscany community with the aid of Mentors to move for
> > > graduation.
> > >

> > ++1
> >

> So it seems like there is better support for Tuscany graduation now, are
> there any other issues or concerns anyone would like to bring up before we
> do make another attempt?
>
>    ...ant

FYI, we've now started the tuscany-dev vote for doing this:
http://apache.markmail.org/message/6bduwmwuhntbjafu

   ...ant

Re: Graduate Tuscany as a top level project

Posted by ant elder <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.
On Apr 16, 2008, at 6:56 AM, Noel J. Bergman wrote:

> There needs to be a balance.  And I am satisfied that the Incubator
> PMC has been taking the right line on the issue so far, subjective
> as the line may be.

FWIW, I also agree. And as a mentor, I think it results in a better
podling/PPMC/graduate.

RE: Graduate Tuscany as a top level project

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
> Robert Burrell Donkin wrote:
>>> 1. the incubator should be concerned about the composition of the
>>> proposed PMC.

> Only that the community will be welcoming to newcomers and not treat the
> ASF community-project as the "company's private project"

Those are primary concerns, yes.  We don't want a company hijacking a project and using the ASF's imprimatur in that manner.  More importantly, we want to see continued community development.

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.

I  live here; http://tinyurl.com/2qq9er
I  work here; http://tinyurl.com/2ymelc
I relax here; http://tinyurl.com/2cgsug

Re: Graduate Tuscany as a top level project

Posted by ant elder <an...@gmail.com>.
On Sun, Apr 13, 2008 at 12:30 PM, Robert Burrell Donkin <
robertburrelldonkin@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 10, 2008 at 9:27 PM, ant elder <an...@apache.org> wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
> >  That would make the PPMC be about 50%  IBM day job  and 50% (non IBMers
> or
> >  IBM non-day jobers). Can we take it to a private list if anyone wants a
> >  detailed breakdown?
>
> +1
>
> IMO the IPMC is wrong to ask for named affiliations in public.
> contractual information is potentially confidential and should be
> discussed only in private. all that should be needed in public are
> aggregate statistics.
>
> IMHO the emphasis on committer affiliation is misguided. overloading
> the word diversity was also probably a mistake. maybe we need to focus
> on narrower concepts with alternative names.
>
> 1. the incubator should be concerned about the composition of the
> proposed PMC. PMC conveys voting rights and control of the project
> going forward. independent committers are fine but if these are not
> being enfranchised then this should be a concern. so the aggregation
> distribution of affiliations of PPMC members should be of interest. i
> don't care what the affliation is, just the aggregate stats.
>
> 2. for a top level project to succeed, it needs to be able to
> encrourage, recruit and mentor new independent developers. unless a
> project demonstrates the ability to recruit new independent
> developers, it is not ready to graduate. so, i would like to know how
> many new independent committers the project has developed, am
> interested in the quantity of code they've contributed and whether
> they are on the PPMC. again, i don't care about their affiliations.

Some answers to these:

Here is the timeline of new committers additions to Tuscany:

2008-04-16 Vote to add Wang Feng as Tuscany committer
2008-03-26 Vote to add Giorgio Zoppi as Tuscany committer
2007-11-19 Vote to add Rajini Sivaram as Tuscany committer
2007-11-01 Vote to add Mark Combellack as Tuscany committer
2007-10-21 Vote to add Michael Yoder as Tuscany committer
2007-10-08 Vote to add Amita Vadhavkar as a new committer
2007-09-19 Vote to add Simon Nash as a new committer
2007-08-21 Vote to add Brady Johnson as a new committer
2007-07-12 Vote to add Fuhwei Lwo as a new committer
2007-05-01 Vote to add Andy Grove as a new committer
2007-04-03 Vote to add Adriano Crestani as a new committer
2007-01-22 Vote to add Simon Laws as a new committer
2006-11-15 Vote to add Geoffrey Winn as a new committer
2006-11-10 Vote to add Luciano Resende as a new commiter
2006-11-07 Vote to add Rajith Attapattu
2006-09-29 Vote to add Ignacio Silva-Lepe as a new committer
2006-09-18 Vote to add Venkata Krishnan as a new committer
2006-08-10 Vote to add Andrew Borley as a new committer
2006-08-07 Vote to add Meeraj Kunnumpurath as a new committer
2006-08-07 Vote to add Kelvin Goodson as a new committer
2006-08-06 Vote to add Brent Daniel as a new committer
2006-08-04 Vote to add Raymond Feng as a new committer
2006-05-02 Vote to add Dan Kulp as a new committer
2006-03-01 Vote to add Ant Elder as a new committer

So thats 24 new committers over the two and a bit years of incubation, about
one new committer every month or two. Of those, 12 were IBMers, 12 were
independents or non-paid job IBMers. The actual quantity of code each of
those have done is harder to say but using the dates on that list if you
trawl around in the tuscany-private archives you can see the discussion
around each nomination and I think be satisfied each was justified. Not all
those have become PPMC members (yet), some committers don't stay active and
we've had PPMC membership take a little longer and require a bit more
commitment to the project, but as mentioned earlier on this thread the
Tuscany PPMC currently has 15 members, about 50%  IBM day job and 50% (non
IBMers or IBM non-day jobers).

   ...ant

Re: Graduate Tuscany as a top level project

Posted by Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.

Posted by ant elder <an...@apache.org>.

Posted by Matthieu Riou <ma...@offthelip.org>.

Posted by ant elder <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.

Posted by Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.
On 10/24/07, Matt Hogstrom <ma...@hogstrom.org> wrote:
> Jim,
>
> Thanks for this feedback.  I think you raise a good point that one of
> the goals of community building is discovering a community's true
> synergies and strengths and that sometimes the right outcome is not a
> single community.  Where goals are mis-aligned then a respectful
> change of direction is sometimes the best path.  I trust your work is
> going well over at Codehaus and that y'all are fairing well and
> building a community is going also flourishing.

+1

> Although I don't follow the Fabric 3 work I can say that Tuscany has
> settled into a pace and cadence that suits them.  I trust you are on
> a similar path.

+1

Posted by Matt Hogstrom <ma...@hogstrom.org>.
Jim,

Posted by Jim Marino <jm...@myromatours.com>.
On Oct 23, 2007, at 6:43 AM, Davanum Srinivas wrote:

> Noel,
>
> <decloak>
> I was there when it happened. It was actually the other way
> around..Short story, the "independents" had trouble letting anyone
> else work or suggest ideas which went against their own mental model
> of how things should be. When i argued for a middle path vociferously,
> they left.
> </decloak>
>
> -- dims

Dims,

I was simply trying to clear up a point of ambiguity with respect to
my (and by extension my employer's) involvement in Tuscany. I was
hoping to avoid digging up the past, which doesn't serve good purposes.

Were the independents completely intransigent or were the others
inflexible? Sometimes people just have different goals and
reconciliation doesn't work because things are too far apart. I and
the others working on the SCA Java implementation left the project
because there was constant friction and differences of opinion, and
we felt it best for the two camps to go their separate ways. I
previously explained my motivations here:

http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/ws-tuscany-dev/200703.mbox/%
3cC48A4BFB-A6F0-4113-81EA-25F5A207126B@myromatours.com%3e

Unfortunately, I don't have much time to follow Tuscany closely
although I do check the lists occasionally. It does seem both it and
our community (Fabric3) have a lot less friction and are growing
nicely. Sometimes communities just diverge based on differences of
opinion, technical or otherwise, and trying to villainize one group
is the wrong approach since it is not constructive.

I wish Tuscany luck as I work closely with some of those involved in
the project on the SCA specifications and have a lot of technical and
personal respect for them.

Jim

Posted by Davanum Srinivas <da...@gmail.com>.
Noel,

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.

Posted by Matthieu Riou <ma...@offthelip.org>.
On 10/20/07, Noel J. Bergman <no...@devtech.com> wrote:

> Paul Fremantle wrote:
>
> > > Wouldn't the community be healthier if it focused some effort
> > > on bringing in independent committers?
>
> > Its my understanding that the project is very focussed on encouraging
> > new committers and that this is having results.
>
> Where?  It seems to me that if it were having results, we wouldn't be
> having
> this discussion.
>
> I am happy to hear that Tuscany is open to new developers, but if we want
> base level of diversity, we need to actually have those new developers,
> not
> just be open to them.  Cross-fertilization between projects (Tuscany, Ode,
> CXF, Synapse, ServiceMix, et al) is one way to improve diversity, as well
> as
> improve synergies and integration.

My impression is that the current discussion only arises because Tuscany has
so many committers. If there were only 3 or 4 of them from a single
organization, nobody would be so worried about it, even if they had the bare
minimum of 3 independent committers. But they did welcome enough independent
committers while being in the incubator and there's actually a second
organization supporting the project as well.

Attracting a large quantity of independent developers while being in the
incubator is pretty hard, I'm not sure it's reasonable to expect them to
find enough independents to balance all others.

Matthieu

        --- Noel

Re: [VOTE] Graduate Tuscany as a top level project

Posted by Simon Nash <na...@hursley.ibm.com>.
The recent Tuscany 1.0 release included Ode integration with an
implementation.bpel component type.  We also have experimental support
for integration with Geronimo.

In the last 2 months, 3 new committers have been added, one is in progress
as Paul has said, and one is being discussed.  Of these 5 people, one is
IBM "day job" (me), one is IBM "non-day-job", and 3 are non-IBM.

I think this clearly shows that Tuscany is focusing effort on bringing in
new committers to increase diversity, and on cross-fertilizing with other
projects.

   Simon

Posted by Paul Fremantle <pz...@gmail.com>.
Noel

There is a vote in progress on a new committer right now. Does that count?

I'm certainly keen on doing integration between Synapse and Tuscany and as
soon as I get a minute I will do it. I agree that cross-fertilization is
good.

Paul

On 10/21/07, Noel J. Bergman <no...@devtech.com> wrote:

> Paul Fremantle wrote:
>
> > > Wouldn't the community be healthier if it focused some effort
> > > on bringing in independent committers?
>
> > Its my understanding that the project is very focussed on encouraging
> > new committers and that this is having results.
>
> Where?  It seems to me that if it were having results, we wouldn't be
> having
> this discussion.
>
> I am happy to hear that Tuscany is open to new developers, but if we want
> base level of diversity, we need to actually have those new developers,
> not
> just be open to them.  Cross-fertilization between projects (Tuscany, Ode,
> CXF, Synapse, ServiceMix, et al) is one way to improve diversity, as well
> as
> improve synergies and integration.
>
>         --- Noel

Paul Fremantle
OASIS WS-RX TC Co-chair

blog: http://pzf.fremantle.org
paul@wso2.com

Re: [VOTE] Graduate Tuscany as a top level project

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.
I would refer people to the

    	Re: Graduation: how do we check "three or more independent
committers" ?

thread, and message (<3E...@jaguNET.com>)

Re: [VOTE] Graduate Tuscany as a top level project

Posted by Matthieu Riou <ma...@offthelip.org>.
On 10/22/07, Jim Jagielski <ji...@jagunet.com> wrote:

> On Oct 20, 2007, at 2:58 AM, Paul Fremantle wrote:
>
> > Noel
> >
> >> Wouldn't the community be healthier if it focused some effort on
> >> bringing
> > in
> >> independent committers?
> >
> > Its my understanding that the project is very focussed on
> > encouraging new
> > committers and that this is having results.
> >

> In which case, I would guess that diversity will be
> better improved in a handful of months...

Thanks for your vote. Could you just clarify what you would consider a good
level of diversity for Tuscany? I think it would be very beneficial to the
project to know what they're shooting for and at which point they can
consider bringing this topic back to the IPMC.

Thanks,
Matthieu

RE: [VOTE] Graduate Tuscany as a top level project

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
Paul Fremantle wrote:

> I think the PPMC needs this sort of concrete feedback.

And perhaps needs to consider that diversity means supporting a broader
community of interests.

	--- Noel

Re: [VOTE] Graduate Tuscany as a top level project

Posted by Paul Fremantle <pz...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for voting. I think the PPMC needs this sort of concrete feedback.

Paul

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
Paul Fremantle wrote:

> > Wouldn't the community be healthier if it focused some effort
> > on bringing in independent committers?

> Its my understanding that the project is very focussed on encouraging
> new committers and that this is having results.

Where?  It seems to me that if it were having results, we wouldn't be having
this discussion.

I am happy to hear that Tuscany is open to new developers, but if we want a

Posted by Paul Fremantle <pz...@gmail.com>.
Noel

Posted by Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.
On 10/15/07, Paul Fremantle <pz...@gmail.com> wrote:

<snip>

> 2) It has survived key members of the project jumping ship and forking the
> code*

<snip>

> * Personally I think you should have disclosed your previous involvement in
> this project to the IPMC when you started this thread.

probably so: but it's good to have any possible issues aired in public here

- robert

RE: [VOTE] Graduate Tuscany as a top level project

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
Paul Fremantle wrote:

> I think Tuscany is ready to graduate because:
> 1) I understand it to have met the base requirements of the IPMC in terms
of
>    independent committers

Apparently a bare minimum, with very little active work from independents?

> However, I agree that there is a strong numerical bias towards one
company.
> I think the IPMC needs to take that into consideration during this vote.

Wouldn't the community be healthier if it focused some effort on bringing in
independent committers?

As with Jim, I'm leaning towards a -1 vote because although I agree with
everything else, diversity is lacking in Tuscany (and CXF).

	--- Noel

Re: [VOTE] Graduate Tuscany as a top level project

Posted by Paul Fremantle <pz...@gmail.com>.

> I was thinking primarily of people who were on the TLP PMC proposal.
> But yes, you and Matthew did help draft that proposal.

I also took part in some other discussions.

As the
> diversity sub-thread was taken to the private list (which is kind of
> ironic in itself) there may also have been some discussion there I
> missed as well.
>
> As a mentor you are much closer to the project than I am - why do you
> think Tuscany is ready to graduate with such a skewed PMC and
> committer base?

I think Tuscany is ready to graduate because:
1) I understand it to have met the base requirements of the IPMC in terms of
independent committers
2) It has survived key members of the project jumping ship and forking the
code*
3) It seems to me to have an open, welcoming and fair attitude to new
committers and contributers
4) The Tuscany team has a clear understanding of the Apache IP rules and
release process.

Posted by Matthieu Riou <ma...@offthelip.org>.
On 10/15/07, Jeremy Boynes <jb...@apache.org> wrote:

> > Taking a quick sample of the mailing list, the only contributors to
> >> the discussion thread on Graduation, which I would assume would have
> >> been a hot topic, were from the vendor.
> >

> > I remember contributing to discussion on Graduation. Maybe you
> > don't count
> > me? I know I'm an ex-corporate but then so are you!
>
> I was thinking primarily of people who were on the TLP PMC proposal.
> But yes, you and Matthew did help draft that proposal. As the
> diversity sub-thread was taken to the private list (which is kind of
> ironic in itself) there may also have been some discussion there I
> missed as well.
>
> As a mentor you are much closer to the project than I am - why do you
> think Tuscany is ready to graduate with such a skewed PMC and
> committer base?

Also as a mentor on Tuscany here is how my thinking goes:

1. Tuscany has these 3 independent developers and whether they're "good
enough" to qualify is, I think, not very relevant. In fact I'm sure you'll
find a lot of Apache projects with only one or two individuals at the core
who could be from the same company. And where does the core stops? What is
the core of SCA and SDO? I think that's a non issue. (As a side note, I'm
not so big on the 3 external developers rule just because it's a fixed
number. Depending on the project, this could be not enough or too drastic
(do we forbid graduation for a 4 persons project where 2 are from the same
company?). I think it's more subjective).

2. I believe Tuscany has proven to be open toward the acceptance of new
committers in a meritocratic way and has been welcoming. They're fairly open
in their decision process and even if there's a big majority of developers
from a single company, the communication and decisions are done on the
mailing-lists, seeking consensus.

3. They know what the IP issues are and address the eventual problems
appropriately. They've done numerous releases.

4. I'm not too worried about Tuscany potential orphanage. SCA is still in
its infancy as a spec but I'm personally convinced that it has enough mind
share and will continue to gather more. Even if all the individuals
belonging to this same company were to leave, I'm pretty sure Tuscany would
continue (not saying it would continue exactly in the same way, just that
the project would remain active and supported) with the others and more.

5. They've been in the incubator for a while and I think got most of what
there is to get here. Staying in longer wouldn't add much to the project.

So for all these reasons I believe Tuscany is ready for graduation. But I'll
continue to follow them afterward and I'm sure a lot of others will
(probably including you).

Cheers,
Matthieu

Posted by Jeremy Boynes <jb...@apache.org>.
On Oct 15, 2007, at 8:02 PM, Paul Fremantle wrote:

> Jeremy
>
>  Neither of the two independents
>> are active in the core project areas of Java SCA or SDO (they are
>> committing to the C++ implementation or to DAS).
>

> Is it stated somewhere that the Java SCA/SDO components are "core"
> compared
> to C++ and DAS?

s/core/most active/
I still find it odd that Tuscany is aiming for graduation when in the
two most active sections of the project there are no active
independents.

Posted by Paul Fremantle <pz...@gmail.com>.
Jeremy

Posted by Jeremy Boynes <jb...@apache.org>.
On Oct 13, 2007, at 10:07 PM, Noel J. Bergman wrote:

> Ant,
>
> Are there any issues that should be pointed out, such as the
> (hopefully)
> mechanical licensing header issue in stdcxx, or community
> diversity, which
> at least in part is measuring independence from corporate backing
> (a popular
> thread this past month)?  It seems that the latter should be well
> in hand,
> but I'll not assume.  :-)

Noel

I've expressed some concern before about diversity and independence
[1]. At the time, 11 out of 12 members proposed for the TLP's PMC
worked for a single organization. Since then, a couple more people
have been added but the ratio is still 13 out of 16. Yes, there are 3
organizations represented but control still lies with one bloc.

The project has voted in 19 new committers, but 12 of those work for
the same organization as above. Many have dropped out - at this time
there are only 2 committers active[2] who don't work for that
organization, compared to 11 who do. Neither of the two independents
are active in the core project areas of Java SCA or SDO (they are
committing to the C++ implementation or to DAS).

Taking a quick sample of the mailing list, the only contributors to
the discussion thread on Graduation, which I would assume would have
been a hot topic, were from the vendor.

I think more work is needed to reduce the dependency on and influence
by a single corporate.
--
Jeremy

[1] http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/ws-tuscany-dev/
200710.mbox/%3c3F97441F-4EB2-4386-8ADE-B783BBF3EC2B@apache.org%3e
[2] commit in the last 3 months

RE: [VOTE] Graduate Tuscany as a top level project