Posted to dev@lenya.apache.org by Mehmet Birgi <me...@birgi.ch> on 2003/06/19 23:11:04 UTC

FW: Parts of the build.xml

seem to have difficulties posting, so here is another trial :-)

---

Re: Parts of the build.xml

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.

Andreas Kuckartz wrote, On 20/06/2003 14.44:

>>Yup, this is what Centipede does. It does not need anything else than
>>releasing the tasks as a jar as any other distribution artifact.
>

> http://krysalis.org/centipede/
> (If the text size is huge on your screen scroll to the right and press the
> "reset"-button ...)

Oops. I fixed that bug on the skin but forgot to publish the centipede
sub-site. Thanks for pointing it out - ouch ;-)

             - verba volant, scripta manent -

Re: Parts of the build.xml

Posted by Andreas Kuckartz <A....@ping.de>.
> Yup, this is what Centipede does. It does not need anything else than
> releasing the tasks as a jar as any other distribution artifact.

http://krysalis.org/centipede/
(If the text size is huge on your screen scroll to the right and press the
"reset"-button ...)

Andreas

Re: Parts of the build.xml

Posted by Andreas Hartmann <an...@apache.org>.
Michael Wechner wrote:

> Mehmet Birgi wrote:
>
>> if everybody is ok with using ant 1.6, I could start looking into it. or
>> should we wait for a release?
>

> I think we can actually switch to ant1.6, but we need to make sure that
> publishers, creators, etc. are still running.

Running "ant test" will at least ensure that the publisher and
the DocumentCreator are working.

Andreas

RE: Parts of the build.xml

Posted by Robert Koberg <ro...@koberg.com>.
Hi,

Why not just transform the current configuration into one build.xml?

Keep the base ant tasks in their own config with descriptions. Fill in the
tasks with values from the user's Lenya config files. You can use the this
file for use in the transform to the build.xml and also to give a nice
description of what is-going-to/has happened.

Or keep the Ant tasks in the XSL and by flowing through the config files you
can determine which tasks to write to the build.xml.

Best,
-Rob

RE: Parts of the build.xml

Posted by Mehmet Birgi <me...@birgi.ch>.
Michael Wechner wrote

> Mehmet Birgi wrote:
> > if everybody is ok with using ant 1.6, I could start looking into it. or
> > should we wait for a release?
>
> I think we can actually switch to ant1.6, but we need to make sure that
> publishers, creators, etc. are still running. We are currently using
>
> cocoon-lenya/lib/ant-1.5.3-1.jar

I don't have the whole thing under control yet, so I would prefer if
somebody else would test it with ant 1.6 and give the ok. I won't check
anything in until then.

---

Re: Parts of the build.xml

Posted by Michael Wechner <mi...@apache.org>.

RE: Parts of the build.xml

Posted by "Gregor J. Rothfuss" <gr...@apache.org>.

if everybody is ok with using ant 1.6, I could start looking into it. or
should we wait for a release?
<<

+1000

RE: Parts of the build.xml

Posted by Mehmet Birgi <me...@birgi.ch>.

Re: Parts of the build.xml

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.

Re: Parts of the build.xml

Posted by Andreas Hartmann <an...@apache.org>.

[...]

Re: Parts of the build.xml

Posted by Michael Wechner <mi...@apache.org>.
Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:

> Andreas Kuckartz wrote, On 20/06/2003 9.37:

>> The Ant Faq says this - which does not help much:
>>
>> How do I include an XML snippet in my build file?
>> http://ant.apache.org/faq.html#xml-entity-include
>>
>> Maybe someone close to the Ant community can ask them for further
>> suggestions?
>

> Ant 1.6 will have an import task that will import external snippets,
> <shameless-plug> courtesy of me </shameless-plug> ;-)

:-)

> Actually, it came out of the project Centipede that I've started on
> Krysalis and that is now very active in its last refactoring before the
> last beta and release. It allows autodownload of libraries and antlibs;

that sounds very nice. It's what we could need for instance to download
the activation and mail libraries

> I will post some info here when we're ready.

looking forward to it

  In the meantime Ant
> nightlies are in good shape and can be safely used IMHO for regular work.

Thanks

Michael

Re: Parts of the build.xml

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.
Andreas Kuckartz wrote, On 20/06/2003 9.37:

> The Ant Faq says this - which does not help much:
>
> How do I include an XML snippet in my build file?
> http://ant.apache.org/faq.html#xml-entity-include
>
> Maybe someone close to the Ant community can ask them for further
> suggestions?

Ant 1.6 will have an import task that will import external snippets,
<shameless-plug> courtesy of me </shameless-plug> ;-)

Actually, it came out of the project Centipede that I've started on
Krysalis and that is now very active in its last refactoring before the
last beta and release. It allows autodownload of libraries and antlibs;
I will post some info here when we're ready. In the meantime Ant

Re: Parts of the build.xml

Posted by Andreas Kuckartz <A....@ping.de>.
> > I have realized that the build.xml has been divided into several
> > xml files, like properties-build.xml, init-build.xml, ... While
> > this is certainly a good idea to improve overview, I have the
> > impression that the parts are not really valid xml files.

One should assume that the Ant community must have dealt with this problem.
Maybe they found out that the optimal (maybe only) solution unfortunately is
to do it like that.

Re: FW: Parts of the build.xml

Posted by Michael Wechner <mi...@apache.org>.
Mehmet Birgi wrote:
> Michael Wechner wrote

>>these are pulled together as "external entities". I agree it's not very
>>nice, but it's a simple
>>trick to modularize it a bit. If someone has a nicer solution we (or at
>>least I am) are happy to
>>redo this.
>>

> Apart from the aesthetic concern (non-valid xml files), it is also
> cumbersome to edit these partial files in a validating xml editor. E.g. in
> Eclipse with the XMLBuddy plugin, the tree view shows only the first
> <target>-element, and gives an error.

agreed

> Maybe we could aggregate the build.xml with an xslt and feed the result into
> ant, or would that be overkill? This could be done in a build.sh/build.bat
> file, e.g. with Xalan.

I think to have build.sh/build.bat is very bad, because one needs to
maintain at least two versions.

Thanks

Michael

RE: FW: Parts of the build.xml