Posted to dev@lucene.apache.org by Michael McCandless <lu...@mikemccandless.com> on 2010/05/06 14:20:31 UTC

resurrect back-compat tests on trunk?

I know we removed the back-compat tests (in "backwards" sub-dir), on
trunk, because changes to trunk are not required to be
back-compatible...

But, I think they could still be useful, in that they would tell us
when we did break back-compat, giving us a chance to say "right that's
what I intended" or "woops I didn't mean to do that".

This could also help us keep the migration guide (we need to create it
still :) ) in check, ie, if a commit touches backwards/*, the
migration guide should also be updated.

Thoughts?

Mike

Re: resurrect back-compat tests on trunk?

Posted by Shai Erera <se...@gmail.com>.
Hmm I guess you're right.

Shai

Posted by Michael McCandless <lu...@mikemccandless.com>.

Posted by Shai Erera <se...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Robert Muir <rc...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, May 6, 2010 at 8:20 AM, Michael McCandless <
lucene@mikemccandless.com> wrote:

> I know we removed the back-compat tests (in "backwards" sub-dir), on
> trunk, because changes to trunk are not required to be
> back-compatible...
>
> But, I think they could still be useful, in that they would tell us
> when we did break back-compat, giving us a chance to say "right that's
> what I intended" or "woops I didn't mean to do that".
>
> This could also help us keep the migration guide (we need to create it
> still :) ) in check, ie, if a commit touches backwards/*, the
> migration guide should also be updated.
>
> Thoughts?

+1

--