Posted to docs@httpd.apache.org by Yoshiki Hayashi <yo...@xemacs.org> on 2003/06/16 08:09:39 UTC

Configuration of /manual in httpd-2.1 httpd-std.conf

Yesterday, I installed 2.1 to see how it works w.r.t the
documents.

While I was cut and pasting type-map stuff from new
configuration, I noticed that all configurations for
/usr/local/apache2/manual is enclosed with <IfModule
mod_alias.c>.  It looks like this (irrelevant part is
omitted):

<IfModule mod_alias.c>
    AliasMatch ^/manual(?:/(?:de|en|fr|ja|ko|ru))?(/.*)?$ "@exp_manualdir@$1"

    <Directory "@exp_manualdir@">
        Options Indexes
        AllowOverride None
        Order allow,deny
        Allow from all

        AddHandler type-map .html
        <Files *.html.*>
            RemoveHandler .html
        </Files>

        SetEnvIf Request_URI ^/manual/(de|en|fr|ja|ko|ru)/ prefer-language=$1
        RedirectMatch 301 ^/manual(?:/(de|en|fr|ja|ko|ru)){2,}(/.*)?$ /manual/$1$2
    </Directory>
</IfModule>

I think this is not very desirable as you'll be unable to
browse HTTPD manual if your server disabled mod_alias.  If I
understand it correctly, mod_alias is only necessary for
lanuange links to work.  So I'd like to suggest moving out
type-map configuration out of IfModule.

BTW, what is the policy of IfModule usage?  It looks a bit
inconsistent.  There's IfModule mod_setenvif.c later in the
configuration but above SetEnvIf is not enclosed with
IfModule directive.

--
Yoshiki Hayashi

Re: Configuration of /manual in httpd-2.1 httpd-std.conf

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
On Mon, 16 Jun 2003, André Malo wrote:
> However, the policy when to use the containers is not existing and I'd agree
> to drop all the <IfModule>s in the config (except MPM containers), since
> they hide the error messages (heck, *I* missed it sometimes and was confused
> that it didn't work).
> But I believe, we need to discuss this on the dev list, I'm not sure what
> the general opinion there is.

Just a little history here: I agree 100% with you about the <IfModule>
containers, and have argued this point on the dev list in the past.  But
there are also some people who have strong opinions that the default
config should work, regardless of which modules are included.  It has been
discussed within the last year on dev, and opinions were very mixed, but
nobody had the nerve/desire to veto inclusion of the <ifmodule>:

http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=apache-httpd-dev&m=102822362123565&w=2

Joshua.

Re: Configuration of /manual in httpd-2.1 httpd-std.conf

Posted by André Malo <nd...@perlig.de>.
[just a short break, I'm currently totally busy]

* Yoshiki Hayashi wrote:

> While I was cut and pasting type-map stuff from new
> configuration, I noticed that all configurations for
> /usr/local/apache2/manual is enclosed with <IfModule
> mod_alias.c>.  It looks like this (irrelevant part is
> omitted):
[...]
> I think this is not very desirable as you'll be unable to
> browse HTTPD manual if your server disabled mod_alias.  If I
> understand it correctly, mod_alias is only necessary for
> lanuange links to work.  So I'd like to suggest moving out
> type-map configuration out of IfModule.
>
> BTW, what is the policy of IfModule usage?  It looks a bit
> inconsistent.  There's IfModule mod_setenvif.c later in the
> configuration but above SetEnvIf is not enclosed with
> IfModule directive.

The modules needed for reading the docs were already toned down (dropped
mod_include dependency). The current set contains:
mod_setenvif, mod_alias, mod_negotiation and mod_mime, which are all base
modules and on nearly all servers installed.

However, the policy when to use the containers is not existing and I'd agree
to drop all the <IfModule>s in the config (except MPM containers), since
they hide the error messages (heck, *I* missed it sometimes and was confused
that it didn't work).
But I believe, we need to discuss this on the dev list, I'm not sure what
the general opinion there is.

nd
--
package Hacker::Perl::Another::Just;print
qq~@{[reverse split/::/ =>__PACKAGE__]}~;

#  André Malo  #  http://pub.perlig.de  #