Posted to dev@sling.apache.org by Robert Munteanu <ro...@apache.org> on 2020/08/21 14:01:46 UTC

[RT] Moving slingshot to a content package

Hi,

I was thinking about converting the Slingshot sample [1] to a content
package build.

The advantages would be:

- we demonstrate how to use content packages with Sling
- better supported by the IDE tooling
- remove the need for code that alters the repository on startup such
as [2]
- increased validation for content package tooling as part of the
starter

The main disadvantage that I see would be a more complex repository
structure ( reactor build with bundle + content package + (probably)
apps package ).

Thoughts?

Robert

[1]: https://github.com/apache/sling-samples/tree/master/slingshot
[2]:
https://github.com/apache/sling-samples/blob/47388d327fd19b629448192a9692dd3ac01ddab5/slingshot/src/main/java/org/apache/sling/sample/slingshot/impl/SetupService.java

Re: [RT] Moving slingshot to a content package

Posted by Robert Munteanu <ro...@apache.org>.
On Sat, 2020-08-22 at 14:24 +0200, Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
> I always liked the fact, that there are no high requirements for
> installing the demo

Yes, that is correct. A single bundle (well, with repoinit and configs
in the sling starter feature model ) is quite simple. On the other hand
we would be looking at 3 modules for the content package version

- sample content
- apps
- bundle

We can wrap this up into a single 'all' content package for ease of
deployment, but I'm not sure that's the kind of simplicity you were
thinking of :-)

> I think the setup service can now be replaced with a repoinit, so
> from
> that point of view a content package is not really necessary.

The SetupService changes some resource types, and that's (AFAIU) not
supported by repoinit.

> But if a content package makes people happier I'm not against it

Let's see how far I can get with a content package, for now I'm hitting
some limitations of various components. But it's a good exercise for
content-pacakge based development anyway :-)

Thanks,
Robert

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@apache.org>.
I always liked the fact, that there are no high requirements for
installing the demo

I think the setup service can now be replaced with a repoinit, so from
that point of view a content package is not really necessary.

But if a content package makes people happier I'm not against it

Regards
Carsten

Am 21.08.2020 um 16:01 schrieb Robert Munteanu:
> Hi,
>
> I was thinking about converting the Slingshot sample [1] to a content
> package build.
>
> The advantages would be:
>
> - we demonstrate how to use content packages with Sling
> - better supported by the IDE tooling
> - remove the need for code that alters the repository on startup such
> as [2]
> - increased validation for content package tooling as part of the
> starter
>
> The main disadvantage that I see would be a more complex repository
> structure ( reactor build with bundle + content package + (probably)
> apps package ).
>
> Thoughts?
>
> Robert
>
> [1]: https://github.com/apache/sling-samples/tree/master/slingshot
> [2]:
> https://github.com/apache/sling-samples/blob/47388d327fd19b629448192a9692dd3ac01ddab5/slingshot/src/main/java/org/apache/sling/sample/slingshot/impl/SetupService.java

Carsten Ziegeler
Adobe Research Switzerland
cziegeler@apache.org

Re: [RT] Moving slingshot to a content package

Posted by Radu Cotescu <ra...@apache.org>.
Go for it! :D