Posted to httpclient-users@hc.apache.org by tommmmmm <to...@gmail.com> on 2012/04/06 17:04:17 UTC

What.... happened?

I used to work with HttpClient for some time now (with someone else's
project). And I liked it. Got pretty advanced with it too.
... and then the day come I wanted to use it for my own project. Downloaded
it... and? OMG it's different. Everything IS literally different.

This is the first time I saw so big change between versions. Nothing is
compatible.... I need to le-learn everything.
The term Backward compatibility is unknown to the apache people.....

I am just so disappointed in you.

Re: What.... happened?

Posted by tommmmmm <to...@gmail.com>.
Sorry, a heat of the moment.

I am slowly getting used to 4.x
Managed to pull off a POST with custom cookies.

But please.... wait with 5.x
5.x sounds so scary. Very scary. Do not update in a near future Q.Q

As far as patches go - I was thinking about some clean and nice, not manual
way of setting Connection-alive header to be sent (FF sends it); the
receiving is good and well supported.

Goodnight to you all.

Tom

Re: What.... happened?

Posted by Bill Speirs <bi...@gmail.com>.
The 4.x stuff might be different, but it's much better. Also, going from
3.x to 4.x doesn't mean backward compatible has to be kept. However, Oleg
does a great job of keeping the 4.x stuff all backward compatible. I have a
few patches that must wait for 5.x simply because they would break 4.x.

As others have more nicely said, please be constructive rather than
destructive... if there is something you'd like to see, submit a patch.

Bill-

Re: What.... happened?

Posted by Darren Govoni <da...@ontrenet.com>.

Re: What.... happened?

Posted by Ryan Smith <ry...@gmail.com>.

Re: What.... happened?

Posted by Mike Boyers <mb...@yahoo.com>.
I agree with this response.

Thanks Oleg for all of the hard work you've done (as well as everyone else who have contributed).  I will take a clean API over a backwards-compatible one any day.

I honestly didn't find the transition from 3 to 4 to be that shocking, and we're using some fairly advanced features.

Mike

The new APIs are much cleaner, and definitely less buggy than 3.x.  Considering the effort the guys have put in to providing a robust, consistent, and not to mention free library for our use, I think you need to get over yourself.  If you want to stick with 3.x you are free to do so.  If not, you should thank Oleg et al for a job well done.

RE: What.... happened?