Posted to dev@hc.apache.org by Aaron Coburn <ac...@amherst.edu> on 2018/08/30 13:36:24 UTC

OSGi support

Hi,

I read on a recent announcement that there was an intention to drop the HttpCore OSGi module for the version 5 release. Is the plan to publish OSGi bundle metadata directly in the httpcore5/httpcore5-h2 jars? Or is the plan to drop OSGi support altogether? I use version 4 of the HC libraries extensively in OSGi environments, and I would be very interested in helping make sure that some form of OSGi support is present in version 5.

Thanks,
Aaron Coburn

Re: OSGi support

Posted by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>.
On Thu, 2018-08-30 at 09:36 -0400, Aaron Coburn wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I read on a recent announcement that there was an intention to drop
> the HttpCore OSGi module for the version 5 release. Is the plan to
> publish OSGi bundle metadata directly in the httpcore5/httpcore5-h2
> jars? Or is the plan to drop OSGi support altogether? I use version 4
> of the HC libraries extensively in OSGi environments, and I would be
> very interested in helping make sure that some form of OSGi support
> is present in version 5.
>
> Thanks,
> Aaron Coburn

Hi Aaron,

The intent is to drop all OSGi related metadata and code entirely. We
presently ship OSGi module untested and not really knowing whether
their metadata is correct.

Ideally some other project with more involvement in OSGi would take
over or new people should take interest in maintaining what we have.

The situation with HttpClient is even worse given its OSGi module has
OSGi container specific code.

Oleg