Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Roparzh Hemon <ro...@gmail.com> on 2017/07/22 07:14:50 UTC

Unable to run "Hello World" in Eclipse JEE on Mac 10.11.3

On my Mac 10.11.3 I've installed the Eclipse JEE IDE (Version: Neon.3
Release (4.6.3)) I also installed apache-tomcat 9 on my Mac, using the
following commands :

sudo mkdir -p /usr/local sudo mv ~/Downloads/apache-tomcat-9.0.0.M21
/usr/local sudo rm-f /Library/Tomcat sudo ln -s
/usr/local/apache-tomcat-9.0.0.M21/ /Library/Tomcat sudo chown -R
roparzhhemon /Library/Tomcat sudo chmod +x /Library/Tomcat/bin/*.sh

When I try "Run as server" on a minimal html file in JEE, I get the
following error message :

Could not load the Tomcat server configuration at /Servers/Tomcat v9.0
Sever at localhost-config. The configuration may be corrupt or
incomplete.

Any help appreciated.

Re: Unable to run "Hello World" in Eclipse JEE on Mac 10.11.3

Posted by Roparzh Hemon <ro...@gmail.com>.
Thank you so much for your detailed feedback Mark, it helped me a lot

Posted by Mark Eggers <it...@yahoo.com.INVALID>.
Roparzh,

Re: [OT] Unable to run "Hello World" in Eclipse JEE on Mac 10.11.3

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Mark,

On 7/22/17 1:18 PM, Mark Eggers wrote:
> Roparzh,
>
> On 7/22/2017 12:14 AM, Roparzh Hemon wrote:
>> On my Mac 10.11.3 I've installed the Eclipse JEE IDE (Version:
>> Neon.3 Release (4.6.3)) I also installed apache-tomcat 9 on my
>> Mac, using the following commands :
>>
>> sudo mkdir -p /usr/local sudo mv
>> ~/Downloads/apache-tomcat-9.0.0.M21 /usr/local sudo rm-f
>> /Library/Tomcat sudo ln -s /usr/local/apache-tomcat-9.0.0.M21/
>> /Library/Tomcat sudo chown -R roparzhhemon /Library/Tomcat sudo
>> chmod +x /Library/Tomcat/bin/*.sh
>>

> Don't do this. You will have permissions problems partially due to
> the way Eclipse runs servers by default.
>
> Also, I don't think Eclipse Neon 3 supports Tomcat 9 out of the
> box. You'll need the JBoss Tools plugins (which contain a lot of
> good stuff).
>
>> When I try "Run as server" on a minimal html file in JEE, I get
>> the following error message :
>>
>> Could not load the Tomcat server configuration at /Servers/Tomcat
>> v9.0 Sever at localhost-config. The configuration may be corrupt
>> or incomplete.
>>
>> Any help appreciated.
>
> I'm in the process of writing up a very long and detailed message
> on how I get everything running on Linux / Windows. The Linux stuff
> should be applicable to the Macintosh.
>
> I'll post this here when I'm done. Please be aware that it's going
> to be very long and have not so much to do with Tomcat. I'll label
> it [OT] so other readers can pass on it.

Sounds like a great ApacheCon talk! ;)

- -chris

Re: Unable to run "Hello World" in Eclipse JEE on Mac 10.11.3

Posted by Mark Eggers <it...@yahoo.com.INVALID>.
Roparzh,

On 7/22/2017 12:14 AM, Roparzh Hemon wrote:
> On my Mac 10.11.3 I've installed the Eclipse JEE IDE (Version: Neon.3
> Release (4.6.3)) I also installed apache-tomcat 9 on my Mac, using the
> following commands :
>
> sudo mkdir -p /usr/local sudo mv ~/Downloads/apache-tomcat-9.0.0.M21
> /usr/local sudo rm-f /Library/Tomcat sudo ln -s
> /usr/local/apache-tomcat-9.0.0.M21/ /Library/Tomcat sudo chown -R
> roparzhhemon /Library/Tomcat sudo chmod +x /Library/Tomcat/bin/*.sh

Don't do this. You will have permissions problems partially due to the
way Eclipse runs servers by default.

Also, I don't think Eclipse Neon 3 supports Tomcat 9 out of the box.
You'll need the JBoss Tools plugins (which contain a lot of good stuff).

> When I try "Run as server" on a minimal html file in JEE, I get the
> following error message :
>
> Could not load the Tomcat server configuration at /Servers/Tomcat v9.0
> Sever at localhost-config. The configuration may be corrupt or
> incomplete.
>
> Any help appreciated.

I'm in the process of writing up a very long and detailed message on how
I get everything running on Linux / Windows. The Linux stuff should be
applicable to the Macintosh.

I'll post this here when I'm done. Please be aware that it's going to be
very long and have not so much to do with Tomcat. I'll label it [OT] so
other readers can pass on it.

. . . just my two cents
/mde/

Re: Unable to run "Hello World" in Eclipse JEE on Mac 10.11.3

Posted by zemiandeng <ze...@gmail.com>.
Hi, If you are simply using Eclipse to run Tomcat, I don't think you have to
run "sudo" command on MacOX. Just unzip a tomcat distribution with normal
user permission. Things should work. It might be helpful if you simply test
out the Tomcat without Eclipse first to ensure it's working, then you an
configure the IDE.