Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by Adam Zimowski <zi...@gmail.com> on 2011/04/05 20:36:01 UTC

Our app is brandable with the codebase being deployed to different
environments, per business unit. So our common runtime will be
packaged to ecommerce.jar, which will include service configuration
(ejb definitions, etc), pages, etc... Then, when we configure website
for company X, we will deploy the jar like any other lib, and intend
on customizing the app by including stylesheets, property bundles,
even page templates on its classpath to override ecommerce defaults,
as desired.

This all works okay, with one limitations which we don't like, and
that is that when it comes to overwriting resources from ecommerce.jar
it's an all or nothing proposition. For example, if we have a
product.tml and product.properties (with 100+ lines of message values
inside) within ecommerce.jar, and all we want to overwrite is
product.properties with two specific messages, Tapestry will not
retain all the other messages.

Is there a known solution to this? Currently, we see this as a
maintenance problem in the long run, having to literally bring over a
complete copy of message bundle from the common runtime just to
customize one or two.

Same thing goes for stylesheets and other resources.

We would love Tapestry to work differently in this regard, and
override individual bits from the file, not entire file.

Adam

Re: Loading of Localized bundles, Stylesheets, etc..

Posted by Massimo Lusetti <ml...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Apr 6, 2011 at 12:12 AM, Igor Drobiazko
<ig...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Both 5.3 and 5.4 are planned for 2011.

Remember Igor... You wrote it!

Cheers
--
Massimo
http://meridio.blogspot.com

Re: Loading of Localized bundles, Stylesheets, etc..

Posted by Adam Zimowski <zi...@gmail.com>.
You guys rock.

Thanks.

Posted by Igor Drobiazko <ig...@gmail.com>.
Hi Adam,

Posted by Adam Zimowski <zi...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for the feedback on this Howard. This would certainly help us!
Is this something you are planning for 5.3? And if so, do you think

Posted by Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com>.
This is something Igor and I have been discussing.  Currently, the
"key" for a page is a combination of its name and its locale.  The
name is one dimension, the locale is a second.  By changing the API
would could support multiple arbitrary extra dimensions. There would
need to be some overridable services for resolving a raw resource to
(what we now call) a localized one, applying rules for how the extra
dimensions are used to locate specific resource files.

On Tue, Apr 5, 2011 at 11:36 AM, Adam Zimowski <zi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Our app is brandable with the codebase being deployed to different
> environments, per business unit. So our common runtime will be
> packaged to ecommerce.jar, which will include service configuration
> (ejb definitions, etc), pages, etc... Then, when we configure website
> for company X, we will deploy the jar like any other lib, and intend
> on customizing the app by including stylesheets, property bundles,
> even page templates on its classpath to override ecommerce defaults,
> as desired.
>
> This all works okay, with one limitations which we don't like, and
> that is that when it comes to overwriting resources from ecommerce.jar
> it's an all or nothing proposition. For example, if we have a
> product.tml and product.properties (with 100+ lines of message values
> inside) within ecommerce.jar, and all we want to overwrite is
> product.properties with two specific messages, Tapestry will not
> retain all the other messages.
>
> Is there a known solution to this? Currently, we see this as a
> maintenance problem in the long run, having to literally bring over a
> complete copy of message bundle from the common runtime just to
> customize one or two.
>
> Same thing goes for stylesheets and other resources.
>
> We would love Tapestry to work differently in this regard, and
> override individual bits from the file, not entire file.
>
> Adam

Howard M. Lewis Ship

Creator of Apache Tapestry

(971) 678-5210