Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Paul Sundling <to...@tkz.net> on 2003/08/13 04:11:37 UTC

Re: Fwd: Re: security hole on windows tomcat?

Yes, adding

-Dsun.io.useCanonCaches=false

to the tomcat seemed to fix the security hole I discovered on my 4.1.24 tomcat on Windows XP using JDK 1.4.2.  Great job finding a solution.  It's a testament to open source and cooperation.  Fortunately it's JSP source it's showing and people should have anything worth seeing in their servlets or EJBs anyway. :)

Paul Sundling

Posted by Reshat Sabiq <sa...@purdue.edu>.
If the bug was caused by adding %20 to a page/folder in URL, then i
didn't reproduce it in Tomcat 5. I got 404 (the only bad thing is that
404's don't appear to be customizable with error-page directives in
web.xml).
What would be a good list to watch for these kinds of bugs in Tomcat?

Thanks.

Paul Sundling wrote:

> Yes, adding
>
> -Dsun.io.useCanonCaches=false
>
> to the tomcat seemed to fix the security hole I discovered on my
> 4.1.24 tomcat on Windows XP using JDK 1.4.2.  Great job finding a
> solution.  It's a testament to open source and cooperation.
> Fortunately it's JSP source it's showing and people should have
> anything worth seeing in their servlets or EJBs anyway. :)
> Paul Sundling
>

> Jeff Tulley wrote:
>
>> I just wanted to make sure you saw this -- Jeanfrancois made the
>> connection that this issue has a known workaround, so you don't have to
>> backrev your JVM if you don't want to.
>>
>> I tried this on Windows XP and NetWare and it worked in both places...
>>
>> Jeff Tulley  (jtulley@novell.com)
>> (801)861-5322
>> Novell, Inc., The Leading Provider of Net Business Solutions
>> http://www.novell.com

>> Sorry I've just realize this thread may be related to bugtraq #4895132
>> (thanks to Jeff for the wake up mail on tomcat-dev ;-) ). The
>> workaround is to add the following property when starting Tomcat:
>>
>> -Dsun.io.useCanonCaches=false
>>
>> Can someone try it and let me know if it change something. If this is
>> not working, then point me to a very simple test case and I will file a
>>
>> new bugtraq bug.
>>
>> -- Jeanfrancois
>>

>> Eric J. Pinnell wrote:
>>

>>> I think at this point this might be a worthwile canidate for Sun's
>>> bugparade.  At least get it on their radars (if they don't know about
>>>

>> it
>>

>>> already).  It's interesting that the bug doesn't show up in Tomcat
>>>

>> 4.1.27.
>>

>>> When 1.4.2 was released 4.1.24 was the latest stable build.
>>>
>>> Regardless the JDK/appserver/whatever should never puke it's guts and
>>>

>> spit
>>

>>> out the source code when it gets a request it doesn't know how to
>>>

>> deal
>>

>>> with.  Upon failure it should result in some kind of error.  Sun
>>>

>> might
>>

>>> care about this...
>>>
>>> -e

>> but

>> actual

>> problem.

>> via

Sincerely,
Reshat.

If you see my certificate with this message, you should be able to send me encrypted e-mail.
Please consult your e-mail client for details if you would like to do that.

Re: Fwd: Re: security hole on windows tomcat?

Posted by Reshat Sabiq <sa...@purdue.edu>.