Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by Thomas Bolioli <tp...@terranovum.com> on 2004/01/16 05:15:14 UTC

MP2 and RH 9 question

On a stock RH 9 system:

my %params = $r->args();
$r->print( join("<br>",map {"$_ => $params{$_}"} keys(%params)), "<br>");

and this

$r->print($r->args());

are producing the same output. Or in other words, the list context is
returning the entire QS while it used to return a hash in MP1. The docs
for v2 are not done yet so I am not sure if this is expected behavior.
Has it changed from mp1?

A related but bigger picture question I have is this. I have a RH 9
system and I want to keep it stock so I can receive updates from RHN. I
have in the past tried to break from the packages that RH puts out and
maintain my own but things spin out of control quick and I end up
spending too much time maintaining upgrades since dependencies begin to
pile up. I am doing the forced upgrade to Fedora Core 2 (forget about ES
since they are on 1.3 still) in April but wanted to do some dev work
now. RH is conservative about upgrades so I am still on 1.99_07 and
2.0.40. Are these implementations mature enough to develop a new app on?
I keep on running into things that require 1.99_9+ and 2.0.46+ and most
of the time I have gotten around them but I am wondering if this is an
exercise in futility given the versions I am on. Should I move to Fedora
Core 1 now? I am leery about that given the stability issues of FC1 that
people seem to be talking about. I was also thinking about moving to
Mandrake so I have upgrade options if it would make sense dumping RH now
instead of waiting till April. Also, are there any estimates on mod_perl
2.00 release date?
Thanks,
Tom

Re: MP2 and RH 9 question

Posted by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org>.
Thomas Bolioli wrote:
> On a stock RH 9 system:
>
> my %params = $r->args();
> $r->print( join("<br>",map {"$_ => $params{$_}"} keys(%params)), "<br>");
>
> and this
>
> $r->print($r->args());
>
> are producing the same output. Or in other words, the list context is
> returning the entire QS while it used to return a hash in MP1. The docs
> for v2 are not done yet so I am not sure if this is expected behavior.
> Has it changed from mp1?

Yes.
http://perl.apache.org/docs/2.0/user/porting/compat.html#C__r_E_gt_args__in_an_Array_Context

> A related but bigger picture question I have is this. I have a RH 9
> system and I want to keep it stock so I can receive updates from RHN. I
> have in the past tried to break from the packages that RH puts out and
> maintain my own but things spin out of control quick and I end up
> spending too much time maintaining upgrades since dependencies begin to
> pile up. I am doing the forced upgrade to Fedora Core 2 (forget about ES
> since they are on 1.3 still) in April but wanted to do some dev work
> now. RH is conservative about upgrades so I am still on 1.99_07 and
> 2.0.40. Are these implementations mature enough to develop a new app on?
> I keep on running into things that require 1.99_9+ and 2.0.46+ and most
> of the time I have gotten around them but I am wondering if this is an
> exercise in futility given the versions I am on. Should I move to Fedora
> Core 1 now? I am leery about that given the stability issues of FC1 that
> people seem to be talking about. I was also thinking about moving to
> Mandrake so I have upgrade options if it would make sense dumping RH now
> instead of waiting till April.

Sorry, I can't comment on Fedora since I have no idea what it is. But you
don't need to rely on any distro to use the latest mod_perl. remove the rpm
provided by RH and build from source. You definitely want to use 1.99_12 and
not _07, since *many* fixes and additions have happened since then.

1.99_xx is as stable as it's tested. Test your application and see whether it
works. If you find bugs report them and we will fix them. If you don't test we
won't know if there are bugs.

> Also, are there any estimates on mod_perl 2.00 release date?

As soon as the list of items in this file goes to zero:
http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/modperl-2.0/todo/release
You are more than welcome to help us complete that list earlier.

Re: MP2 and RH 9 question

Posted by Perrin Harkins <pe...@elem.com>.
On Thu, 2004-01-15 at 23:15, Thomas Bolioli wrote:
> RH is conservative about upgrades so I am still on 1.99_07 and
> 2.0.40. Are these implementations mature enough to develop a new app on?

Short answer: no, they are not.  If you plan to use mp2 at this stage,
you must keep up to date with it.  That version came out about 16 months
ago, and many bugs have been fixed since then.

- Perrin