Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by Chris Bamford <ch...@scalix.com> on 2008/07/10 13:07:52 UTC

Re: newbie question

Hi John,

Just continuing from an earlier question where I asked you how to handle
strings like "from:fred flintston*" (sorry I have lost the original email).
You advised me to write my own BooleanQuery and add to it Prefix- /
Term- / Phrase- Querys as appropriate.  I have done so, but am having
trouble with the result - my PhraseQueries just do not get any hits at
all  :-(
My code looks for quotes - if it finds them, it treats the quoted phrase
as a PhraseQuery and sets the slop factor to 0.
so,  an input of:

    subject:"Good Morning"

results in a PhraseQuery (which I add to my BooleanQuery and then dump
with toString()) of:

    +subject:"good morning"

... which fails.
However, if I break it into 2 TermQuerys, it works (but that's not what
I want).

What am I missing?

Thanks,

- Chris

RE: newbie question (for John Griffin)

Posted by John Griffin <jg...@thebluezone.net>.
Chris,

The code you refer to in the blog is 5 years old! Some of the code is no
longer valid with the newer Lucene jars. I wouldn't use it to test anything.

My suspicion is that your index itself is suspect. Let's see the code you
use to build the index with a small data set that will show what you are
trying to accomplish.

BUT FIRST! Look at your built index with Luke before doing this to make sure
that what you THINK you have in your index is really what you have.

Luke is at http://www.getopt.org/luke/. This is probably THE most important
tool you'll have in your arsenal and is pretty easy to use. You can query
your index with it and see if it responds the way you think it should. You
can enter your subject:"Good Morning" query and see what happens. If Luke
can't find what you're querying for then your code won't.

John G.

Posted by Chris Bamford <ch...@scalix.com>.
Thanks Steve.

Posted by Steven A Rowe <sa...@syr.edu>.
Hi Chris,

Posted by Chris Bamford <ch...@scalix.com>.
Hi John

Posted by John Griffin <jg...@thebluezone.net>.
Chris,

Posted by Chris Bamford <ch...@scalix.com>.
Hi John,

Please ignore my earlier questions on this subject, as I have got to the
bottom of it.
I was not passing each word in the phrase as a separate Term to the
query; instead I was passing the whole string (doh!).

Thanks.

- Chris

Posted by Chris Bamford <ch...@scalix.com>.
Hi John,

Chris Bamford wrote:
> Hi John,
>
> Just continuing from an earlier question where I asked you how to
> handle strings like "from:fred flintston*" (sorry I have lost the
> original email).
> You advised me to write my own BooleanQuery and add to it Prefix- /
> Term- / Phrase- Querys as appropriate.  I have done so, but am having
> trouble with the result - my PhraseQueries just do not get any hits at
> all  :-(
> My code looks for quotes - if it finds them, it treats the quoted
> phrase as a PhraseQuery and sets the slop factor to 0.
> so,  an input of:
>
>    subject:"Good Morning"
>
> results in a PhraseQuery (which I add to my BooleanQuery and then dump
> with toString()) of:
>
>    +subject:"good morning"
>
> ... which fails.
> However, if I break it into 2 TermQuerys, it works (but that's not
> what I want).
>
> What am I missing?
>
> Thanks,
>
> - Chris

*Chris Bamford*
Senior Development Engineer 	<http://www.scalix.com>
/Email / MSN/ 	chris.bamford@scalix.com
/Tel/ 	+44 (0)1344 381814 	  	/Skype/ 	c.bamford