Posted to users@flex.apache.org by Josh Tynjala <jo...@gmail.com> on 2016/11/30 22:10:15 UTC

MXML and ActionScript in Visual Studio Code

Hello, Flex community!

A couple of months ago, I introduced a new extension for the Visual Studio
Code text editor that adds language support for ActionScript. The extension
includes tons of code intelligence features for ActionScript, like
IntelliSense, find all references, goto definition, variable renaming, and
more.

I didn't officially announce the project to the Apache Flex community right
away because, at the time, the extension only supported ActionScript, and I
hadn't started yet on MXML features. As we all know, MXML is pretty vital
for Flex applications!

Today, I'm happy to announce that the newest version of the NextGen
ActionScript extension for Visual Studio Code includes all the same great
features for MXML. You can install the extension right inside Visual Studio
Code. Simply search for "NextGen ActionScript" in the Extensions view.

For more information about the NextGenAS extension, visit the website:

https://nextgenactionscript.com/vscode/

For instructions about how to create a new project, set up the compiler,
and even debug Apache FlexJS apps in a web browser, visit the Github wiki:

https://github.com/BowlerHatLLC/vscode-nextgenas/wiki

With the community's help, I can continue working on useful developer tools
for ActionScript and MXML. Please join my Patreon campaign to lend a hand!

https://www.patreon.com/josht

Thank you, and happy coding!

Josh Tynjala
NextGen ActionScript

Note: I am an Apache Flex committer and PMC member, but this VSCode
extension is not an Apache project. Today, I am simply posting as a member
of the community who wants to share a cool, independent project that others
might enjoy.

Re: MXML and ActionScript in Visual Studio Code

Posted by Josh Tynjala <jo...@gmail.com>.
The FlexJS compiler does not yet support source maps for MXML (including
<fx:Script> elements), so breakpoints won't work.

- Josh

Posted by Josh Tynjala <jo...@gmail.com>.
For some reason, the compiler can't see your getClassFromAlias() method. If
getClassFromAlias() is in a package, double-check that you imported it in
the file where you're using it. You should also double-check that it (or
the SWC it's compiled into) is included in the source-path, library-path,
or external-library-path in your asconfig.json.

- Josh

Posted by PKumar <pr...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Josh,

Issue has been resolved by provided code fix.

-----
Regards,
Prashant

Re: MXML and ActionScript in Visual Studio Code

Posted by piotrz <pi...@gmail.com>.
Josh,

It did the trick. Errors disappear. :)

Thanks,
Piotr

-----
Apache Flex PMC
piotrzarzycki21@gmail.com

Re: MXML and ActionScript in Visual Studio Code

Posted by Josh Tynjala <jo...@gmail.com>.
If you're using a recent nightly build of FlexJS, can you try changing the
nextgenas.flexjssdk setting to point at FlexJS 0.7.0 instead? You can still
compile your project with the FlexJS nightly build in your tasks.json, so
you can continue using the latest components and things. If you change the
nextgenas.frameworksdk setting to point at the nightly build, you'll get
the proper framework classes from the nightly build in IntelliSense too.

Your workspace's settings.json should look something like this:

{
    "nextgenas.flexjssdk": "path/to/flexjs-0.7.0",
    "nextgenas.frameworksdk": "path/to/flexjs-nightly"
}

Anyway, this was an issue where the NextGenAS extension was missing some
JARs on the classpath that weren't required by FlexJS 0.7.0. It is fixed on
Github, and version 0.3.0 of the NextGenAS extension will work properly
with FlexJS nightly builds again.

Both of you, let me know if that does the trick or not. If it doesn't work,
or if you weren't using a nightly build in the first place, I'll probably
ask you for a little more information.

- Josh

Posted by Josh Tynjala <jo...@gmail.com>.
Hi Phrashant,

Does that error happen after you've been using VSCode for a while, or is it
right away when you first open VSCode?

- Josh

Posted by PKumar <pr...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for suggestion,  issue has been resolved now. I am used to
FlashBuilder so it will take  some time to understand  the VCode editor. But
overall it is nice experience with VCode, great work Josh.

-----
Regards,
Prashant

Re: MXML and ActionScript in Visual Studio Code

Posted by Josh Tynjala <jo...@gmail.com>.
However, I can point out one thing that I can see is incorrect: true and
false should not be inside quotes.

You have "value": "true" and it should be "value": true

- Josh

Posted by Josh Tynjala <jo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Josh Tynjala <jo...@gmail.com>.
I'm pretty sure that this will work:

"define": [
    {
        "name": "COMPILE::JS",
        "value": true
    }
]

The supported compiler options are listed in the docs. Here's where you can
see how define should be specified:
https://github.com/BowlerHatLLC/vscode-nextgenas/wiki/asconfig.json#define

- Josh

Posted by PKumar <pr...@gmail.com>.
could you please suggest to asconfig.json  options to resolve the attached
compile error.

<http://apache-flex-users.2333346.n4.nabble.com/file/n14342/Screenshot_2016-12-15_21.png>

-----
Regards,
Prashant

Re: MXML and ActionScript in Visual Studio Code

Posted by PKumar <pr...@gmail.com>.
Thanks, I have updated my NodeJS version and issue has been fixed now.

-----
Regards,
Prashant

Re: MXML and ActionScript in Visual Studio Code

Posted by Josh Tynjala <jo...@gmail.com>.
You should see something in VSCode's Output view when you build with
Ctrl+Shift+B (or Cmd+Shift+B on macOS). Maybe not an error, but the
compiler output will never be completely empty.

Switching to mxmlc would require values in "args". It doesn't know anything
about the asconfig.json file. That's why you use asconfigc.

- Josh

Posted by Josh Tynjala <jo...@gmail.com>.
What is the console output from the compiler?

- Josh

Posted by Josh Tynjala <jo...@gmail.com>.
Hi Prashant,

Did you follow these instructions to build the project with tasks.json?
https://github.com/BowlerHatLLC/vscode-nextgenas/wiki/Create-tasks.json-to-compile-an-ActionScript-project

What does the compiler print to the console?

What does your asconfig.json file contain?

If it built successfully, you should see a bin directory in your project
with a js-debug directory inside (and maybe js-release, depending on your
compiler options). Are you saying that this directory did not appear? That
is empty? Something else?

- Josh

On Dec 11, 2016 12:22 AM, "PKumar" <pr...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi Josh,

I have setup the VCode on my window7 laptop. I created a sample project
using flexJS and compiled without any error. But  after compilation there is
no JS file generating. So is there any specific command to generate the JS
file? Please suggest.

-----
Regards,
Prashant

Re: MXML and ActionScript in Visual Studio Code

Posted by Josh Tynjala <jo...@gmail.com>.
Yeah, I have it fixed on Github. It'll work in the next update.

- Josh

Posted by Harbs <ha...@gmail.com>.
Josh,

Posted by Hans Nuecke <hn...@vservu.de>.
Thanks for your 2 cts; confirming my thoughts ;-)
Hans

Posted by Hans Nuecke <hn...@vservu.de>.
Guess what: I did it ;-)
And I agree: first impression is of VS Code is very positive; kind of
motivation push to finally enter "fully heartedly" the JS world.

After first tests with the early versions of Typescript I was waiting
for things to settle, i.e. Typescript becoming a stable, fully
functional release;  and for getting a better feeling about supporting
frameworks like Angular and/or React, ...
And I was about starting now, since imO things are pretty much settled now.

But what I've seen with VS Code (also supporting Typescript of course)
and NetGenAS promises to be a more natural and better fit for my
personal needs.

We'll see...
Thanks
Hans

Re: MXML and ActionScript in Visual Studio Code

Posted by Christian Gotschim <mi...@vulcansoft.com>.
You should try VSCode! Ever since I heard about VSCode (on this list) a
[code editor] dream has come true for me! It’s fast, open source, lots of
extensions, and fits like an F16 fits a pilot — you just become one with it.

And with Josh’s NextGenAS extension it will be even better. I’ve used
IntelliJ IDEA for years and I’m personally fed up with their lack of support
for everything AS3/Flex/FlexJS. They don’t even get basic things like
syntax coloring for AS3/Flex working reliably.
Josh OTOH is not only listening and responding, but he’s also in the
same boat with the rest of us — can’t get any better than that! :)

Posted by Hans Nuecke <hn...@vservu.de>.

Posted by Josh Tynjala <jo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Hans Nuecke <hn...@vservu.de>.
Hi Josh,

Posted by Josh Tynjala <jo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Harbs <ha...@gmail.com>.
That would be perfect. Automatically adding imports is something I’m really missing in VS Code.

“Organize imports” is another item that would be really nice to have.

“Command 1”  is something else I use in Flash Builder regularly. Generating getters and setters from variables is a great time saver. (Other quick fixes too)

I’m really pumped up about your extension. Good tooling for FlexJS is really important IMO, and tooling built around a modern editor with features like multi-selection, etc. is great.

What would be involved in having templates for different project types? Is that something that’s do-able in VS Code?

Posted by Josh Tynjala <jo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Harbs <ha...@gmail.com>.