Posted to dev@kudu.apache.org by Todd Lipcon <to...@apache.org> on 2017/02/21 18:32:53 UTC

Proposal for 1.3 branch and release

Hi folks,

I don't think the topic of Kudu 1.3 has been brought up on the dev list yet
(though I just hinted at it on a user@ thread). I wanted to open this topic
to discussion by proposing a release plan.

Back in December, the discussion around the 1.2 release was to hold off on
the security features, and push them to 1.3. So, obviously security has
been a big focus of development over the last month or so. I've been pretty
involved with this development and it seems from my perspective that the
initial phase of development (authentication without authorization) is
wrapping up, and would be good to get out to users.

Aside from security, there are a bunch of good bug fixes and improvements.
From a quick scan of the git log, a few things of note are:

- fixes to various cases where more disk space was consumed than actually
used for data
- support for using Breakpad for crash analysis
- new default encodings/compression to save space and increase performance
- compression of the WAL and deltafiles (performance and space)
- support for IS NULL and IS NOT NULL predicates
- improved hash-partition pruning for IN-list predicates

...plus a few nice bug fixes and stability improvements.

All of the above seems like it should make for a compelling 1.3 release.

Following the pattern of 1.2, I think we should plan to branch this week,
and then spend a week or two on stabilization and testing before making the
release candidate.

I'll volunteer to be the RM again unles anyone else feels like taking a
turn.

Any comments or concerns?

-Todd

--
Todd Lipcon
Software Engineer, Cloudera

Re: Proposal for 1.3 branch and release

Posted by Todd Lipcon <to...@cloudera.com>.
I think all of the feature work has landed as well as most of the most
important bug fixes. There are a few more blockers and critical bugs
targeted at the release, but I think we can be fixing them on a branch.

I'll make the branch later this afternoon. Please take a swing through your
assigned JIRAs for 1.3 [1] and make sure their status reflects reality. In
other words, if you aren't planning on finishing them in the next few days,
bump to 1.4 or backlog. I'm probably the worst culprit here so I'll do the
same.

-Todd

[1]
https://issues.apache.org/jira/issues/?jql=project%20%3D%20KUDU%20AND%20%22Target%20Version%2Fs%22%20%3D%201.3.0%20AND%20resolution%20%3D%20Unresolved%20AND%20assignee%20%3D%20currentUser()%20ORDER%20BY%20priority%20DESC%2C%20created%20ASC

Posted by Alexey Serbin <as...@cloudera.com>.
+1

Posted by Matthew Jacobs <mj...@cloudera.com>.
+1