Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Rob Wilkerson <r....@gmail.com> on 2006/08/01 19:23:16 UTC

Can't Open tempfile.tmp

I'm trying to import content to a new repository and, after several
minutes of blissful importing I get a message that tempfile.tmp cannot
be opened.  Has anyone else seen this?  I've checked permissions and I
have full control.

I'm using TortoiseSVN on WinXP and hitting a Subversion 1.3.2
repository running on FC5 with Apache 2.2.2.

Any insight will be appreciated.

Thanks.

--

Rob Wilkerson

Re: Can't Open tempfile.tmp

Posted by Rob Wilkerson <r....@gmail.com>.
> > I'm trying to import content to a new repository and, after several
> > minutes of blissful importing I get a message that tempfile.tmp cannot
> > be opened.  Has anyone else seen this?  I've checked permissions and I
> > have full control.
> >
> > I'm using TortoiseSVN on WinXP and hitting a Subversion 1.3.2
> > repository running on FC5 with Apache 2.2.2.

> 1) I would assume you have a file somewhere in your source
> <path_to_import> that is locked by another application / user and hence
> Subversion cannot read it's contents to import it into the repository.
> Do a search for your "tempfile.tmp" in the <path_to_import> and delete /
> move it outside the <path_to_import> :)
> Reboot the machine hosting <path_to_import> - WinXP (esp. servers) can
> get in a twist over file locks if a process hangs.

Nope.  No file named tempfile.tmp in the directory structure to be
imported or anywhere else on the machine for that matter.  I tried
rebooting just in case it was some hidden system file (even though my
settings are to show everything), but that didn't do anything.

> 2) As this is a new repository, you might want to save yourself some
> future agro, and un-install & downgrade Apache to Apache/2.0.x (Win32) -
> if you want to use mod_dav_svn.so / the subversion-python-bindings -
> Subversion 1.3.2 and Apache 2.2.x are built with different versions of
> Python and a lot of the modules / add-ons will get very upset trying to
> talk to both.  A setup that i've found easiest to get to work is :
> Apache/2.0.54 (Win32) DAV/2 SVN/1.3.2 PHP/5.1.4 mod_python/3.2.8
> Python/2.3.5

I know of issues with Apache 2.2 and Windows, but my server is on
Fedora.  I hadn't heard of any issues with Linux installs.  If need be
I'll change it, but this problem is definitely local from what I can
tell.

Thanks.

--

Rob Wilkerson

Re: svn:needs-lock

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.
On Aug 2, 2006, at 01:13, Brian Krusic wrote:

> I read why svn:needs-lock is a good idea but how does one apply it?
>
> If I wanted this for the entire repo, is it a matter of a hook?

Relevant:

http://svn.haxx.se/users/archive-2006-01/1213.shtml

http://svn.haxx.se/users/archive-2005-07/1159.shtml

Be aware:

http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.2/
svn.advanced.locking.html#svn.advanced.locking.break-steal

svn:needs-lock

Posted by Brian Krusic <br...@krusic.com>.
Hi,

I read why svn:needs-lock is a good idea but how does one apply it?

If I wanted this for the entire repo, is it a matter of a hook?

Bri-

Re: Can't Open tempfile.tmp

Posted by Jay Jones <ja...@blueacorn.co.uk>.
Apologies - skipped over the part about "running on FC5" !
Note to self: think quicker, read slower ;)

Re: Can't Open tempfile.tmp

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.

Re: Can't Open tempfile.tmp

Posted by Jay Jones <ja...@blueacorn.co.uk>.
Rob Wilkerson wrote:
> I'm trying to import content to a new repository and, after several
> minutes of blissful importing I get a message that tempfile.tmp cannot
> be opened.  Has anyone else seen this?  I've checked permissions and I
> have full control.
>
> I'm using TortoiseSVN on WinXP and hitting a Subversion 1.3.2
> repository running on FC5 with Apache 2.2.2.
1) I would assume you have a file somewhere in your source
<path_to_import> that is locked by another application / user and hence
Subversion cannot read it's contents to import it into the repository.
Do a search for your "tempfile.tmp" in the <path_to_import> and delete /
move it outside the <path_to_import> :)
Reboot the machine hosting <path_to_import> - WinXP (esp. servers) can
get in a twist over file locks if a process hangs.

2) As this is a new repository, you might want to save yourself some
future agro, and un-install & downgrade Apache to Apache/2.0.x (Win32) -
if you want to use mod_dav_svn.so / the subversion-python-bindings -
Subversion 1.3.2 and Apache 2.2.x are built with different versions of
Python and a lot of the modules / add-ons will get very upset trying to
talk to both.  A setup that i've found easiest to get to work is :
Apache/2.0.54 (Win32) DAV/2 SVN/1.3.2 PHP/5.1.4 mod_python/3.2.8
Python/2.3.5

Regards,
Jay.