Posted to user@turbine.apache.org by William Lee <wl...@sendmail.com> on 2001/04/03 03:51:17 UTC

Proper servet-api jar to use?

I'm trying to figure why I still have the following problem.  The
question I have is what is the version of the servlet api that Turbine
and catalina are using?  Where should I put the api jar?  I would
imagine I should compile all my classes against that api.  I need to
hunt down the part where I have a version mismatch.

Thanks,

Will

Re: Proper servet-api jar to use?

Posted by Jason van Zyl <jv...@apache.org>.
William Lee wrote:

> I'm trying to figure why I still have the following problem.  The
> question I have is what is the version of the servlet api that Turbine
> and catalina are using?  Where should I put the api jar?  I would
> imagine I should compile all my classes against that api.  I need to
> hunt down the part where I have a version mismatch.

I try to keep track of what gets used in the TDK in the changes.xml
document in the xdocs directory. Before building the TDK i take sources
from CVS and build them, and use those to build the TDK. That's my
usual course of action. I will try to make the versions more visible.

> Thanks,
>
> Will
>
> Rafal Krzewski wrote:
> >
> > Samir Khobragade wrote:
> >
> > > A Servlet Exception Has Occurred
> > > Exception Report:
> > > javax.servlet.ServletException: Class org.apache.turbine.Turbine is not a
> > > Servlet
> > >         at
> > > org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapper.load(StandardWrapper.java:759)
> >
> > This exception pops up if your tubine.jar was built against different
> > version of servlet-api.jar that Catalina is using. If you are compiling
> > your
> > own snapshot, make sure you use the correct version.
> >
> > Rafal
> >
> > --
> > Rafal Krzewski
> > Senior Internet Developer
> > mailto:Rafal.Krzewski@e-point.pl
> > +48 22 8534830 http://e-point.pl

jvz.

Jason van Zyl
jvanzyl@apache.org

http://jakarta.apache.org/velocity
http://jakarta.apache.org/turbine
http://tambora.zenplex.org

Re: Proper servet-api jar to use?

Posted by Jon Stevens <jo...@latchkey.com>.
on 4/2/01 6:51 PM, "William Lee" <wl...@sendmail.com> wrote:

> I'm trying to figure why I still have the following problem.  The
> question I have is what is the version of the servlet api that Turbine
> and catalina are using?  Where should I put the api jar?  I would
> imagine I should compile all my classes against that api.  I need to
> hunt down the part where I have a version mismatch.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Will

Since the Servlet API is 99% just a set of interfaces (heck, it is only 40k
big) and 2.3 is 100% backwards compatible with 2.1 and 2.2, it really
doesn't matter what version you compile against. The only reason why you
might need to compile against 2.3 is if you need 2.3 specific API features
which I seriously doubt at this point in time given that 2.3 isn't even
final and most of the features are container level features. :-)

The version that comes with Turbine is clearly marked:

 40 -rw-rw-r--   1 jon      staff       40855 Dec  4 21:53
servlet-2.2-CVSHEAD-12-04-00.jar

Note that the Tomcat 4.x distribution (which is what the TDK uses) also has
its own servlet.jar which is the not final 2.3 version. So, part of the
confusion is which .jar to use. In the end, I don't think it matters. What
matters is which .jar file is in what directory. The TDK had a build bug in
that it would include Turbine's .jar file above along with the 4.x .jar file
in the classpath and that would cause the engine much confusion. Simple
solution, delete the one above. However, that then breaks the newapp.sh
build because it is looking for the one above instead of the one that comes
with Tomcat in the TDK.

Understand?

-jon

your pain to new levels. --Anonymous