Posted to user@mahout.apache.org by WangRamon <ra...@hotmail.com> on 2011/11/05 11:39:50 UTC

Method "observe" in AbstractCluster

Hi Mahout users  I'm evaluating the cluster feature and reading AbstractCluster class, can you tell me where can i find more documents/explaination about the "observe" methods in this class and the s0, s1, s2 parameters, thanks in advance.   Cheers  Ramon

Re: Method "observe" in AbstractCluster

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.
Observe means "add an observation" in the sense of a statistical sample
containing a number of observations.

The s0, s1 and s2 instance variables are, I think, the respective sums of
coordinate-wise powers of the observed data (except for s0 which would be
the same for all coordinates).  It is a known issue that accumulating the
moments in this fashion is numerically unstable.