Posted to server-dev@james.apache.org by Matthieu Baechler <ma...@apache.org> on 2021/03/01 09:28:36 UTC

Re: Time for a 3.6.0 release

Hi Benoit, Hi James devs,

Thank you for your email.

On Sun, 2021-02-28 at 14:45 +0700, Tellier Benoit wrote:
> Hey there!
>
> It's been almost a year (!) since we shipped some master code out in
> release (the last release taking me over 3 months!).

We definitely need to release more frequently.

> As such, I think it would be important, as a project, to make such a
> release happen before the next Apache board meeting (mid. April). I
> devote myself to perform such a release (let's hope I will be more
> efficient this time!).

:+1:

> I would like to propose the following suggestion for this 3.6.0 release:
>
>  - Claim experimental support for JMAP RFC-8621 and RFC-8887 (websocket
> transport)
>  - As such deprecate JMAP Draft as of 3.6.0, to be removed in 3.7.0. (or
> later based on community usage) in order to encourage the migration.
>  - Deprecate `server/container/guice/cassandra-guice` product.
> Rationals: it do not achieve distribution, this James server cannot be
> scaled and maintaining a high project cardinality is hard - at least to
> me. The more servers, the harder releasing is.

:+1:

> I would also love to see the following work integrated in it:
>
>  - https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JAMES-3506 SMTP stach is slow
> and generate high GC when under high traffic (because it is such a nice
> enhancement counter-weighting drawbacks of JAMES-3477)
>  - https://github.com/apache/james-project/pull/303 JAMES-3499 Use a
> module chooser for LDAP users repository
> <https://github.com/apache/james-project/pull/303> (as it ease
> maintainance efforts)

I don't care about how many additionals things we integrate as long as
we define a deadline for cutting the release.

Could you say we cut the release on 2021-03-15 ?

> I think (sadly) ElasticSearch V7 migration (and ES V6 backport) will not
> be ready on time for this release, unless additional efforts are
> committed to this issue.

It's sad but also it will be a good incentive to release a 3.8 release
in a not so distant future.

Cheers,

-- Matthieu Baechler