Posted to dev@metron.apache.org by Casey Stella <ce...@gmail.com> on 2017/01/17 20:06:29 UTC

[MENTORS] Questions about Release Process

Mentors,

We're having a discussion about voting on our release process documentation
(at
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=66854770).
The following two things came up and I think it'd be good to have Mentor
input.

In the documentation, we have the following:

Creation of the Maintenance Release should follow exactly the same set of
> steps as creating the Feature Release as outlined above, but with two
> exception.  First, the version incremented on the maintenance release
> should be the MR++ so that the release is named 0.[FR].[MR++].  Second, if
> a critical JIRA comes in that requires an immediate patch we may forego
> steps 2-5 and immediately cut the MR release.  A critical JIRA is something
> that is either a security vulnerability or a functional show stopper .

Do maintenance releases or releases that are due to urgent security issues
still have to go through the normal apache voting process?

Casey

Re: [MENTORS] Questions about Release Process

Posted by James Sirota <js...@apache.org>.
Thanks for clarifying that, Taylore

17.01.2017, 14:04, "P. Taylor Goetz" <pt...@gmail.com>:
> A release is a release, even if it is urgent. So, yes, the normal release process still applies.
>
> To expedite, you can shorten the typical 72 hour turnaround, but you still want at least 3 positive votes.
>
> -Taylor
>
>> �On Jan 17, 2017, at 3:06 PM, Casey Stella <ce...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> �Mentors,
>>
>> �We're having a discussion about voting on our release process documentation
>> �(at
>> �https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=66854770).
>> �The following two things came up and I think it'd be good to have Mentor
>> �input.
>>
>> �In the documentation, we have the following:
>>
>> �Creation of the Maintenance Release should follow exactly the same set of
>>> �steps as creating the Feature Release as outlined above, but with two
>>> �exception. First, the version incremented on the maintenance release
>>> �should be the MR++ so that the release is named 0.[FR].[MR++]. Second, if
>>> �a critical JIRA comes in that requires an immediate patch we may forego
>>> �steps 2-5 and immediately cut the MR release. A critical JIRA is something
>>> �that is either a security vulnerability or a functional show stopper .
>>
>> �Do maintenance releases or releases that are due to urgent security issues
>> �still have to go through the normal apache voting process?
>>
>> �Casey

-------------------�
Thank you,

James Sirota
PPMC- Apache Metron (Incubating)
jsirota AT apache DOT org

Re: [MENTORS] Questions about Release Process

Posted by "P. Taylor Goetz" <pt...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Billie Rinaldi <bi...@apache.org>.
On Tue, Jan 17, 2017 at 12:06 PM, Casey Stella <ce...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Mentors,
>
> We're having a discussion about voting on our release process documentation
> (at
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=66854770
> ).
> The following two things came up and I think it'd be good to have Mentor
> input.
>
> In the documentation, we have the following:
>
> Creation of the Maintenance Release should follow exactly the same set of
> > steps as creating the Feature Release as outlined above, but with two
> > exception.  First, the version incremented on the maintenance release
> > should be the MR++ so that the release is named 0.[FR].[MR++].  Second,
> if
> > a critical JIRA comes in that requires an immediate patch we may forego
> > steps 2-5 and immediately cut the MR release.  A critical JIRA is
> something
> > that is either a security vulnerability or a functional show stopper .
>

> Do maintenance releases or releases that are due to urgent security issues
> still have to go through the normal apache voting process?

Yes. In the case of an urgent security issue, it may be possible to reduce
the vote length from the standard 72 hours. I cannot find the discussion I
am recalling about conducting shorter votes, however. Do other mentors have
an opinion?