Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by franzR <re...@utanet.at> on 2002/06/01 10:19:23 UTC

AW: tomcat and apache

Tomcat is listening on port 8080 and the standard port for HTTP is port 80.
If you only call a page like   "http://<ip-address>/examples" then the
webserver looks for a directory called examples. The http-server has
no knowledge that the resource is managed by a servlet engine. Therefore you
must complete your URL by the requested port (8080). Port 80 is a so called
"well knwon port" & need not be specified extra, but if you want to have a
very correct URL you must type in: "http://<address>:80/documentation/servlet.html".
You can use other ports than 8080 - but mostly it really makes no sense.
Have also a look to the conf-directory of tomcat and tomcat's documentation.

franzR

     __   _
           TUX for President