Posted to dev@lenya.apache.org by Richard Frovarp <ri...@sendit.nodak.edu> on 2008/01/25 20:05:56 UTC

Workflow RoleCondition question

Can someone explain to me why the workflow.xml document specifies roles
that can do certain workflow actions? I'm asking because, isn't that the
role of the usecase-policies.xml document? usecase-policies.xml let
sitemanagers do everything and is based off of group. workflow.xml only
allows one role to do the action, and well is based off of roles.

I find having two locations for this to be confusing. Even more so since
the two don't sync in the default publication. Am I missing something?

Richard

Re: Workflow RoleCondition question

Posted by Jörn Nettingsmeier <ne...@apache.org>.
Andreas Hartmann wrote:
> Richard Frovarp schrieb:
>> Can someone explain to me why the workflow.xml document specifies
>> roles that can do certain workflow actions? I'm asking because, isn't
>> that the role of the usecase-policies.xml document?
>
> I see your point, since we have usecase policies the workflow role
> conditions might have become somewhat obsolete.
>
>> usecase-policies.xml let sitemanagers do everything and is based off
>> of group. workflow.xml only allows one role to do the action, and well
>> is based off of roles.
>
> Actually both use roles. But a major difference is that the workflow
> schema is assigned to resource types, and the usecase policies apply to
> all documents regardless of their resource type.
>
> I also have wondered if it might make sense to reconsider these concepts
> and maybe find a more general solution.

good idea. i don't have a really brilliant solution atm, but it would be
great to get rid of workflow transition policies altogether and somehow
translate them into usecase invocations.  i'll take a walk over it... :)

--
Jörn Nettingsmeier

  - Ken Thompson.

Re: Workflow RoleCondition question

Posted by Andreas Hartmann <an...@apache.org>.
Richard Frovarp schrieb:
> Can someone explain to me why the workflow.xml document specifies roles
> that can do certain workflow actions? I'm asking because, isn't that the
> role of the usecase-policies.xml document?

I see your point, since we have usecase policies the workflow role
conditions might have become somewhat obsolete.

> usecase-policies.xml let
> sitemanagers do everything and is based off of group. workflow.xml only
> allows one role to do the action, and well is based off of roles.

Actually both use roles. But a major difference is that the workflow
schema is assigned to resource types, and the usecase policies apply to
all documents regardless of their resource type.

I also have wondered if it might make sense to reconsider these concepts
and maybe find a more general solution.

What do the others think?

-- Andreas

--