Posted to users@maven.apache.org by janne postilista <ja...@gmail.com> on 2010/08/16 13:54:43 UTC

Version range for plugin dependencies does not work?

My build craps out because

[HUDSON] Archiving
/home/zzz/.hudson/jobs/ci-build/workspace/trunk/webapp/pom.xml to
/home/zzz/.hudson/jobs/ci-build/modules/zzz$webapp/builds/2010-08-16_14-27-53/archive/zzz/webapp/1.0-SNAPSHOT/pom.xml
[ERROR] BUILD ERROR
[INFO] Failed to resolve artifact.

No versions are present in the repository for the artifact with a range [2.0,)
  org.apache.maven:maven-plugin-api:jar:null

from the specified remote repositories:
  maven2.dev.java.net (http://download.java.net/maven/2),
  prime-repo (http://repository.prime.com.tr),
  snapshot.ocean.net.au (http://maven.ocean.net.au/snapshot),
  external.ocean.net.au (http://maven.ocean.net.au/external),
  release.ocean.net.au (http://maven.ocean.net.au/release),
  java.net2 (http://download.java.net/maven/2)

Path to dependency:
	1) org.glassfish.maven.plugin:maven-glassfish-plugin:maven-plugin:2.1
	2) au.net.ocean.maven.plugin:maven-plugin:jar:1.0

When I look at au.net.ocean.maven.plugin:maven-plugin:jar:1.0 pom.xml, it has

        <dependency>
            <groupId>org.apache.maven</groupId>
            <artifactId>maven-plugin-api</artifactId>
            <version>[2.0,)</version>
            <scope>compile</scope>
        </dependency>

and central repository has matching versions. Why doesn't maven find
it? Using maven 2.2.1

Is this problem still alive http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MNG-2742?
It seems to be since it's unresolved.

But how could something this important remain unresolved for 3,5 years....?

PS. I have no idea why maven tries to retrieve the dependency. It's
part of a child dependency's "compile scope" dependencies. No one is
trying to compile au.net.ocean.maven.plugin:maven-plugin:jar:1.0.

PS2. This build works when I try it locally. Hudson does something
extra ([HUDSON] Archiving....?) that wants the dependency.

Re: Version range for plugin dependencies does not work?

Posted by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com>.
On 16 August 2010 15:16, janne postilista <ja...@gmail.com>wrote:

> Heh. Not the first headache I have with this plugin...
>
> I'm curious, care to briefly explain what's the fundamental problem
> with maven-glassfish-plugin....why is having a plugin that depends on
> another plugin a problem?

In Maven 2.x the first time a plugin is resolved, that version is the only
version that is ever resolved, so when you have a dependency on another
maven-plugin if a different version is used in a module earlier in the
reactor, then you will not get the version you expect and all hell will
break loose.

The solution is to move the plugin heavy lifting code into a separate module
(jar type) and then depend on that

> Does this somehow explain the mystery why the version range gets resolved
> in
> my windows environment but not in linux, or is this a separate issue?

I don't think so

On Mon, Aug 16, 2010 at 5:10 PM, Stephen Connolly <

Posted by janne postilista <ja...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com>.
Ohhhhhhh!!!

Posted by janne postilista <ja...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com>.

Posted by janne postilista <ja...@gmail.com>.
I'm not sure what that means exactly?

The problem is nested a few levels down in my dependencies:

my webapp -> maven-glassfish-plugin -> maven-plugin -> maven-plugin-api

maven-plugin's pom.xml has the problematic reference to maven-plugin-api
version [2.0,)

Is your suggestion still usable in this scenario? Can I define exclusions to

Posted by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com>.

Posted by janne postilista <ja...@gmail.com>.

Posted by janne postilista <ja...@gmail.com>.

Posted by janne postilista <ja...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com>.

Posted by janne postilista <ja...@gmail.com>.
When I add this dependency directly to my pom.xml, build still works locally:

        <dependency>
            <groupId>org.apache.maven</groupId>
            <artifactId>maven-plugin-api</artifactId>
            <version>[2.0,)</version>
            <scope>compile</scope>
        </dependency>

So it seems dependency version range resolving works after all. If I
clear my repository before doing this, following versions appear after
building:

2.0
2.0.6
2.0.11
3.0-beta-2

sheesh.....

Anyhow, local build, Windows + maven 2.2.1 is able to retrieve this dependency.

When my Hudson build running on linux box (maven 2.2.1 "installed
automatically from Apache", by Hudson) tries to do the same build it
cannot find the dependency version:

[ERROR] BUILD ERROR
[INFO] Failed to resolve artifact.

No versions are present in the repository for the artifact with a range [2.0,)
  org.apache.maven:maven-plugin-api:jar:null

from the specified remote repositories:
  prime-repo (http://repository.prime.com.tr)

Path to dependency:
	1) com.gofore.valtimo:webapp:war:1.0-SNAPSHOT

I checked that both machines can connect to http://repo1.maven.org/maven2.