Posted to dev@tuscany.apache.org by Robbie J Minshall <rj...@us.ibm.com> on 2006/07/10 20:25:41 UTC

SDO Samples - comments please

Please feel free to comment on this SDO samples that I have been working
on.

Sample sample code:
I have included javadoc, a file example, and the full clean project as
attachements on the tuscany java todolist wiki page (
http://wiki.apache.org/ws/Tuscany/TuscanyJava?action=AttachFile).  I have
also included some junit test cases which were derived from the samples.

When looking at coding style etc please refer to the single example, for
an overall idea of the sample execution and current scope look at the
javadoc, project or execute the samples.

Execution:
In order to execute all samples run
org.apache.tuscany.samples.sdo.ExecuteSamples (or the individual sample)
either from within eclipse as a Java Application or from the command line
with
codegen-2.2.0-.jar,codegen-ecore-2.2.0-.jar,common-2.2.0-.jar,ecore-2.2.0-.jar,ecore-change-2.2.0-.jar,
ecore-xmi-2.2.0-.jar,sdo-api-.jar,tuscany-sdo-impl-.jar,xsd-2.2.0-.jar,sdo-samples-standAlone-1.0-.jar
on the classpath.

Comment style:
I received some requests that the comments in the sample be formatted to
fit on the printed page.  This makes a lot of sense for samples which may
be added into papers, presentations etc but I am not sure if it makes
sense for the tuscany project which will be more limited to screen
resolution which holds a lot more charactors.  In the examples above I
have adjusted the coding style to format to a printed page.  Any thoughts
on this ?

thanks,
Robbie John Minshall.

----- Forwarded by Robbie J Minshall/Raleigh/IBM on 07/10/2006 02:02 PM
-----

Robbie J Minshall/Raleigh/IBM
06/29/2006 02:48 PM

tuscany-dev@ws.apache.org
cc

Subject
SDO Samples

I am working on some samples for the SDO specification.  Any thoughts or
comments on the following would be appreciated.

The first point of contact with SDO may or may not be the specification or
an introductory paper, regardless it of the first point of contact I would
hope that the samples are complete and usable enough that they can be used
in close conjunction with the spec, sdo papers, or on their own.  With
this in mind it is very very important that the documentation generated (
I think the the project site is a good candidate here ) include a very
consumable tutorial as well as a good outline of the sample packaging and
usage so that the user can either use the samples on their own or in
reference to the paper or specification in their hand.

Currently the draft samples have a package that includes the code snipets
throughout the specification so that the user can read each section and
run or modify the very simple code snipet as it appears in the 2. 0
specification (these are essentially primatives).  The next package
includes working samples from the Examples Section of the 2.0
Specification.  The code in these sections is as close to the code in the
specific Example as possible with differences highlighted ( the sample you
reviewed is one example of this ).  The third package includes working
samples from other sources, such as papers, with the intention that a user
could read the paper and then modify and execute the working sample
appropiately.

The current draft samples can simply be executed as a standAlone Java
application from the command line or from within eclipse.

The following is a sample of the style the Full Examples are written.  I
am going to concentrate comments on this single example, then complete the
others in the same mann.  If people have comments or suggestions please
let me know :
[attachment "sample.zip" deleted by Robbie J Minshall/Raleigh/IBM]

thanks,
Robbie Minshall.