Posted to dev@directory.apache.org by Colm O hEigeartaigh <co...@apache.org> on 2015/04/24 12:07:12 UTC

Kerby release

When do we anticipate a first release of Apache Kerby? No pressure from my
side, just wondering what the timeline is.

Colm.

--
Colm O hEigeartaigh

Talend Community Coder
http://coders.talend.com

RE: Kerby release

Posted by "Zheng, Kai" <ka...@intel.com>.
Colm,

Great proposal. Your list is good and I will find time to complement to it. For now my biggest concern is that the preauth framework is still on early going and not stabilized yet. Some APIs in both client and KDC side aren’t finalized. I’m worried about this because once we have a release, then we lose the most flexibility to refine the codes. We also need to implement the LDAP backend to connect Kerby with ApacheDS. I thought it’s good to have the first release in mind, discuss and sort out though.

Regards,
Kai

Posted by Emmanuel Lécharny <el...@gmail.com>.
Le 11/06/15 11:59, Zheng, Kai a écrit :
> OK see. So I guess for obsolete branches, we should clean up if we don't use them any longer. I will get rid of mine. Thanks.

Sure you can cut them. They will remain available anyway :-)

RE: Kerby release

Posted by "Zheng, Kai" <ka...@intel.com>.

Posted by Emmanuel Lécharny <el...@gmail.com>.

RE: Kerby release

Posted by "Zheng, Kai" <ka...@intel.com>.
To make things easy, could we have additional target versions in JIRA so we can assign related issues for the two feature branches?
pkinit-support
event-network-support
perhaps 2.0.0 by the way

Thanks.

Regards,
Kai

>> The way to do it is to have special Maven prodiles to build all the packages you want.
I see. Will investigate how the desired binary jars for kerb-client, kerb-server, and etc. can be built in this way.

>>I think we need a 1.0.0-RC1, a 1.0.0-GA (for the final version), and a 2.0.0 version for future changes. Is that fine ?
Looks perfect to me!

>> Atm, what I'd like to have is a release on one of the core Kerby component : ASN.1. We can use that as an exercise, and I'd like to use it in ApacheDS, as a separate module.
Having the ASN1 part done first as an exercise makes sense. After that, we can do similar steps for kerby-kerb library and then finally kerby-kdc distribution.

Regards,
Kai

> Thanks Colm and Emmanuel for the thoughts and help!
>
>>> The numering scheme we use for ApacheDS is a bit complex and its history is long...
> The very good history and I see why. Maybe we could have a major release like 2.0.0 claiming no backward support?

Considering that we already don't support 1.0, it's clear that 2.0 will not provide any backward support ;-)

>>> Keep in mind that we release sources ! Now, you can also build some convenient packages, but this will be a side product.
> I see. So as Colm explained, maybe we could have some container modules for such convenient packages?

Ok, let me be a bit clearer : we should absolutely focus on sources, but we *can* provide binaries ! Actually, this is what we do.

The way to do it is to have special Maven prodiles to build all the packages you want.

>>> I can definitively give a hand, as I have been releasing most of the other projects for years now...
> This really sounds great to me. I'm much confident now, with your taking and also Colm's help. I will try my best for the release in the following.
>
> So for next step, we will need a master JIRA for the release, and a target version (1.0-RC1 ?).
I can create those versions in JIRA. The problem is that we already have existing version for Kerberos :
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DIRKRB/?selectedTab=com.atlassian.jira.jira-projects-plugin:versions-panel

Which is a bit strange considering we never ever released any Kerberos code !

I think it's related to the ApacheDS releases. I will remove those versions.

I think we need a 1.0.0-RC1, a 1.0.0-GA (for the final version), and a
2.0.0 version for future changes. Is that fine ?

>  I would help sort out all the issues in the question for us to discuss and determine further. For each one desired for the release, we would ensure assignment and commitment in some certain time with higher priority, as Colm proposed initially in this thread. Sound good to go?

Atm, what I'd like to have is a release on one of the core Kerby component : ASN.1. We can use that as an exercise, and I'd like to use it in ApacheDS, as a separate module.

Wdyt ?

RE: Kerby release

RE: Kerby release

Posted by "Zheng, Kai" <ka...@intel.com>.
Sounds good. I'm already going in the way. Thanks.

> Thanks Emmanuel for the quick response! That's quite enough, maybe it's still good to have 2.0.0 as you said previously, because for some long term features we probably would use it instead of 2.0.0-RC1?

We can create a 2.0.0 later. No urge. Everything taht will not be included in 1.0.0 will be moved into 2.0.0-RC1 atm, then reshuffled later.

Re: Kerby release

Posted by Emmanuel Lécharny <el...@gmail.com>.

RE: Kerby release

Posted by "Zheng, Kai" <ka...@intel.com>.
Thanks Emmanuel for the quick response! That's quite enough, maybe it's still good to have 2.0.0 as you said previously, because for some long term features we probably would use it instead of 2.0.0-RC1?

Regards,
Kai

> For DIRKRB component in the JIRA, now would we have target versions like 1.0.0-RC1, 1.0.0-GA (for the final version), and 2.0.0 version as discussed? With such, we are then able to sort out all the issues to appropriate target versions.
> I thought it may need some tweak? I'm not sure. If not doable we have to think otherwise. Thanks.

I have created the following version s in JIRA :
1.0.0-RC1
1.0.0-RC2 (just in case)
1.0.0-GA
2.0.0-RC1

Re: Kerby release

Posted by Emmanuel Lécharny <el...@gmail.com>.

RE: Kerby release

RE: Kerby release

Posted by "Zheng, Kai" <ka...@intel.com>.
Thanks Emmanuel.

Re: Kerby release

Posted by Emmanuel Lécharny <el...@gmail.com>.

RE: Kerby release

Posted by "Zheng, Kai" <ka...@intel.com>.
Thanks Colm and Emmanuel for the thoughts and help!

>>The numering scheme we use for ApacheDS is a bit complex and its history is long...
The very good history and I see why. Maybe we could have a major release like 2.0.0 claiming no backward support?

>> I would suggest you cut a 1.0-RC1 when you feel like ready, and after one or two iteration, when some obvious bugs have been fixed, go for a final 1.0.0 version. After that, better moving to a 2.0.0 quickly than starting with 2.1, 2.1.1, etc. A la Chrome/Firefox...
The way is great. +1 totally. Thanks!

>> Keep in mind that we release sources ! Now, you can also build some convenient packages, but this will be a side product.
I see. So as Colm explained, maybe we could have some container modules for such convenient packages?

>> I can definitively give a hand, as I have been releasing most of the other projects for years now...
This really sounds great to me. I'm much confident now, with your taking and also Colm's help. I will try my best for the release in the following.

So for next step, we will need a master JIRA for the release, and a target version (1.0-RC1 ?). I would help sort out all the issues in the question for us to discuss and determine further. For each one desired for the release, we would ensure assignment and commitment in some certain time with higher priority, as Colm proposed initially in this thread. Sound good to go?

Regards,
Kai

Posted by Emmanuel Lécharny <el...@gmail.com>.

Re: Kerby release

Posted by Colm O hEigeartaigh <co...@apache.org>.
Hi Kai,

Answers inline.

> 1.       What version would we have for the release, some options from my
> Directory Server 2.0.0-M20, would Kerby project follow this style or
> otherwise? M20 looks too long for a major release IMHO.

It's just a matter of personal preference I suppose. If it were up to me, I
would call it 1.0.0, or possibly 1.0.0-M1 if you feel that it is not usable
in production yet.

>  2.       What’s the artifacts we would have for the release? How about:
>
> 1)      JARs (to be published): Client side Kerberos library in a jar;
> KDC side Kerberos library in a jar; Kerby facilities (Netty, LDAP,
> Zookeeper backends and so on) in a jar

We will just use Maven to drive the release process. Normally, for projects
at Apache it's just a matter of "mvn release:prepare; mvn release:perform".
This takes care of tagging the release, signing the jars, and uploading
them to repository.apache.org, where you "close" them and get it ready for
a vote.

>  2)      Kerby KDC distribution installation packages, a tar (client side
> tools, server side services and tools, conf, doc and etc.)

Similar to above, we will need to build the distribution via maven. So it
looks like there is some work to be done here.

--
Colm O hEigeartaigh

Talend Community Coder
http://coders.talend.com

RE: Kerby release

Posted by "Zheng, Kai" <ka...@intel.com>.
Sorry quite late to follow this.

Colm suggested the good approach and listed the right issues we need to address for the release. It’s good to address them and consider the release now.

I have some questions first when considering the 1st release of Kerby.

1.       What version would we have for the release, some options from my view: 1.0, 0.1, or 1.0-M1 and so on. I saw we just released Apache Directory Server 2.0.0-M20, would Kerby project follow this style or otherwise? M20 looks too long for a major release IMHO.

Re: Kerby release

Posted by Colm O hEigeartaigh <co...@apache.org>.

--
Colm O hEigeartaigh