Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Jeff Sexton <se...@odscompanies.com> on 2004/06/16 20:21:04 UTC

Tomcat 5 Database Connections

This is part question and part observation regarding database
connectivity under Tomcat (5.0.24).

My application normally runs in production at my company on a
Tomcat 4.0.4 server.  The applications includes Cocoon and access
to several databases (Sybase) via both Tomcat connections from
servlets and from Cocoon XSP pages.  I've been at this for awhile
now and I'm a huge fan of Tomcat (and Cocoon).

On a new test server I setup Tomcat 5.0.24 and installed my
applications.  For sometime I thought all was well because
most of my stuff is Cocoon driven, and it's fine, including
database connectivity.

This week I realized that my servlets are getting:

org.apache.commons.dbcp.SQLNestedException: Cannot create JDBC driver of
class ''
for connect URL 'null', cause: null

I've spent several days now trying to fix this.  I've read verious posts
from this list's archive, and several other places.  I've studied
many examples, and done google after google on it.

My conclusion is that for whatever reason *a lot* of people have
this trouble with TC 5x.  However there are very few solutions.

Yes, my jdbc jar file is in common/lib (and WEB-INF/lib, both).
Yes, I've tried declarations in <GlobalNamingResources> and in the apps
<context>, either.  Yes web.xml contains a <resource-ref> with the
same <res-ref-name>.  The only thing I have not done is to create
a META-INF/context.xml (is defining these resources in server.xml
simply broken?).

I'm dead stopped on this - yet I have no trouble at all with Tomcat
4.0.4.

It seems like some people do get this to work.  It seems like many,
many people do not.  Is there a bug at play in all this?

Here's my question - Why is it so hard?

--
The ODS Companies
Jeff Sexton

This message is intended for the sole use of the individual and entity
to whom it is addressed, and may contain information that is privileged,
confidential and exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If you are
not the intended addressee, nor authorized to receive for the intended
addressee, you are hereby notified that you may not use, copy, disclose
or distribute to anyone the message or any information contained in the
message. If you have received this message in error, please immediately
advise the sender by reply email and delete the message.