Posted to embperl@perl.apache.org by Myrddin <me...@firstmagic.com> on 2000/12/21 09:29:11 UTC

SetupConfDa.al

Hello. :)

I had mod_perl and Embperl working just fine until I decided to upgrade my
apache/mod_perl bits (largely because there was demand to also allow php to
work, which meant having to go through the headache of building a new apache
that supported mod_perl, mod_php, ssl, etc).  I used 'apachetoolbox' to do the
job for me (http://www.apachetoolbox.com/index.php) and everything seemed to
go smoothly.  No errors or anything.

Until I tried to access pages that were using embedded perl.  I got messages
in the error_log file saying (formatted here for ease of readability):

   [Wed Dec 20 01:11:43 2000] [error] Undefined subroutine
                              &HTML::Embperl::handler called.
   [Wed Dec 20 01:11:44 2000] [error] Can't locate HTML/Embperl.pm in @INC
        (@INC contains: /usr/local/lib/perl5/5.6.0/i686-linux
                        /usr/local/lib/perl5/5.6.0
                        /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.6.0/i686-linux
                        /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.6.0
                        /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl .
                        /usr/local/apache/
                        /usr/local/apache/lib/perl) at (eval 7) line 3.

So, I found Embperl.pm, put a copy of it in /usr/local/apache/lib/perl/HTML
(just for testing), and I then got the following messages (I edited out the
@INC path as it's identical to above):

   [Wed Dec 20 01:13:47 2000] [error] Can't locate loadable object for module
        HTML::Embperl in @INC at (eval 7) line 3
   [Wed Dec 20 01:13:47 2000] [error] Can't locate
        auto/HTML/Embperl/SetupConfDa.al in @INC at
        /usr/local/apache/lib/perl/HTML/Embperl.pm line 679

So, my natural instinct was to look for SetupConfDa.al.  It's nowhere to be
found on my system.  I suspected I might need to upgrade my Embperl, so I
fired off the old 'perl -MCPAN -e shell' and tried to 'install
HTML::Embperl'... the only problem is that during the test phase, it keeps
crapping out on the chdir.htm test, and so won't install without a force.  I
don't feel comfortable doing that, but at the same time, I have to revert back
to my original apache setup in order for my existing embedded perl pages to
load properly (which they do, by the way).

Any help would be greatly appreciated. :)

- Myrddin

Re: Problems with make test (was: SetupConfDa.al)

Posted by Andre Landwehr <an...@gmx.net>.
On Thu, Dec 21, 2000 at 11:31:42AM +0100, Gerald Richter wrote:
> Looks like the httpd is died after the first mod_perl test. I guess there
> are more things which fits not together on your system (i.e. mix of new and
> old Perl). Does the mod_perl make test succeed? Is mod_perl compiled with
> the same Perl ?
>
> Maybe it would be good to make a rebuild from the scratch, at least of
> Apache/mod_perl and Embperl and make sure everything uses the same Perl.

I experienced similar things on a debian linux box while Perl 5.6
entered the distribution. The box is experimental anyway, so
simply waiting sorted that out for me ;-) but I noticed that
Apache, mod_perl, Embperl and several perl related libs were
upgraded before it finally worked again. So recompiling
everything remotely connected to this from scratch and watching
the compiler's output would probably be the best idea for you.

Andre

--
 /"\
 \ /

Re: Problems with make test (was: SetupConfDa.al)

Posted by Gerald Richter <ri...@ecos.de>.
> Starting httpd...       pid = 11914  ok
>
> Testing mod_perl mode...
>
> #0 ascii...                   ok
> #1 pure.htm...                ERR:Can't connect to localhost:8531
(Timeout)
> Input:          test/html/pure.htm
> Output:         test/tmp/out.htm
> Log:            test/tmp/test.log
>
>  ERRORS detected! NOT all test have been passed successfully
>
> make: *** [test_dynamic] Error 1
>

> After I saw this, I tried telneting to port 8531 and got connection
refused.

When make test finish it stops the httpd, so you can't connect to port 8531
anyway.

Looks like the httpd is died after the first mod_perl test. I guess there
are more things which fits not together on your system (i.e. mix of new and
old Perl). Does the mod_perl make test succeed? Is mod_perl compiled with
the same Perl ?

Maybe it would be good to make a rebuild from the scratch, at least of
Apache/mod_perl and Embperl and make sure everything uses the same Perl.

> ps.  if we should take this off the list, just holler. :)

No, the embperl list is the right place for such questions

Gerald

Re: SetupConfDa.al

Posted by Myrddin <me...@firstmagic.com>.
On Thu, Dec 21, 2000 at 10:49:28AM +0100, Gerald Richter wrote:
> > Found unexpected output in httpd errorlog:
> > [Thu Dec 21 01:30:59 2000] [error] Can't locate HTML/EmbperlObject.pm in
> @INC
> > (@INC contains: . blib/arch blib/lib /usr/local/lib/perl5/5.6.0/i686-linux
> > /usr/local/lib/perl5/5.6.0 /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.6.0/i686-linux
> > /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.6.0 /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl
> > /root/.cpan/build/HTML-Embperl-1.3.0/test/
> > /root/.cpan/build/HTML-Embperl-1.3.0/test/lib/perl) at (eval 1419) line 3.
> >
> > [Thu Dec 21 01:30:59 2000] [error] Undefined subroutine
> > &HTML::EmbperlObject::handler called at /dev/null line 1.
> >

> Really looks like Embperl is correctly build. Try the following:
>
> cd /root/.cpan/build/HTML-Embperl-1.3.0
> make realclean
> perl Makefile.PL
> # Make sure you specify the correct path to the apache that is
> # build with mod_perl and with the same Perl version as you use for Embperl
> make test
>
> If the chdir test fails again, try
>
> make test TESTARGS="-i"
>
> does this change anything?

Yes.  Though I should mention I didn't realize with my previous tests that I
had the older built apache running, and was pointing embperl to the newer
apache's source.  For this embperl test, I made sure I swapped in the newer
apache in place of the older one.

So, this time chdir succeeded, but there was a different failure:

Testing Execute function...

div.htm from file...          ok
div.htm from memory...        ok
div.htm to memory...          ok
div.htm from/to memory...     ok
error.htm to memory...        ok
EmbperlObject/epopage1.htm ...ok
EmbperlObject/sub/epopage2.htm ...ok
EmbperlObject/obj/epoobj3.htm ...ok
Use of uninitialized value in concatenation (.) at (eval 1385) line 95.

Starting httpd...       pid = 11914  ok

Testing mod_perl mode...

Re: SetupConfDa.al

Posted by Gerald Richter <ri...@ecos.de>.

Re: SetupConfDa.al

Posted by Myrddin <me...@firstmagic.com>.
On Thu, Dec 21, 2000 at 10:24:54AM +0100, Gerald Richter wrote:

> Embperl wasn't installed at all before, to get the newest version from CPAN
> was the correct solution.

??

> > I suspected I might need to upgrade my Embperl, so I
> > fired off the old 'perl -MCPAN -e shell' and tried to 'install
> > HTML::Embperl'... the only problem is that during the test phase, it keeps
> > crapping out on the chdir.htm test, and so won't install without a force.
>
> Could you run the tests with
>
> make test TESTARGS="-i"
>
> this will continue after the failed chdir test. If the chdir test is the
> only test that fails, there should be no problem to install and use Embperl.
> The chdir test fails on some platforms (namly solaris maybe others) and I
> didn't have a chance to track down why.

Alrighty.  Other than a couple of failures in chdir, and a failure in nochdir,
the following also occured:

#120 EmbperlObject/epopage1.htm...ERR:Internal Server Error
Input:          test/html/EmbperlObject/epopage1.htm
Output:         test/tmp/out.htm
Log:            test/tmp/test.log
Testparameter:
  cgi = 0