Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by "Covington, Chris" <cc...@plusone.com> on 2004/09/23 18:32:36 UTC

[users@httpd] modules upgrade from source on RHEL3

Hi all,

I've managed to upgrade the included httpd 2.0.47 on a Red Hat
Enterprise Linux 3 server to 2.0.51 from source by running:

./configure --enable-ssl --enable-layout=RedHat

Everything works well.  However, I think Apache is using the older
included modules such as mod_proxy.so:

[root@frank2k3 httpd-2.0.51]# ls -l /usr/lib/httpd/modules/mod_proxy.so
-rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root        35156 Sep 25  2003
/usr/lib/httpd/modules/mod_proxy.so

Will a ./configure --enable-ssl --enable-layout=RedHat not overwrite
existing modules in the same paths?  Or did I not tell httpd to compile
mod_proxy?  If so, is there a way to find out which modules are compiled
with the Red Hat version?

Is there a better way to upgrade than what I've done considering that
I'd like to maintain RedHat's startup scripts and file locations for
compatibility reasons?

Chris

Re: [users@httpd] modules upgrade from source on RHEL3

Posted by Joshua Slive <js...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, 23 Sep 2004 12:32:36 -0400, Covington, Chris
<cc...@plusone.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've managed to upgrade the included httpd 2.0.47 on a Red Hat
> Enterprise Linux 3 server to 2.0.51 from source by running:
>
> ./configure --enable-ssl --enable-layout=RedHat

> Will a ./configure --enable-ssl --enable-layout=RedHat not overwrite
> existing modules in the same paths?  Or did I not tell httpd to compile
> mod_proxy?

The latter.  See
http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/programs/configure.html
for a list of which modules are included by default and instructions
on how to activate other mdoules.

> If so, is there a way to find out which modules are compiled
> with the Red Hat version?
>
> Is there a better way to upgrade than what I've done considering that
> I'd like to maintain RedHat's startup scripts and file locations for
> compatibility reasons?

This is a relatively challenging problem.  Most people either stick
with the rpm stuff or go entirely with hand-maintained stuff.  Mixing
the two can be complicated.

Probably the easiest thing to do would be to track down the source rpm
for the version of apache you were using before and from there find
the ./configure script that was used to compile apache.  You can also
look around for a script called configure.nice which contains all the
relevant options.

Joshua.