Posted to dev@sling.apache.org by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@apache.org> on 2015/02/18 15:02:12 UTC

[RT] Using the Provisioning Model

Hi,

our launchpad is currently based on the (old) bundle list format.
Additional input that gets into the launchpad is split across different
places, like configurations in specific directories, framework
properties in some property files etc.

Some time ago we developed the provisioning model which is a nicer
format to define all these things in one place. So instead of looking at
various places, you have a single place to go. Examples for the model
can be found here:
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/sling/trunk/launchpad/slingstart/src/main/provisioning/

As you can see in that example, it is possible to split the model into
several files, but that's not required.

The model files are also much easier to diff as e.g. an artifact
definition is in one line. While with the XML format you see that
version 1.0.0 changed to 1.0.1 and you have no clue which artifact that
is (unless you have context lines), with the provisioning model you see
which artifact changed the version.

At Adobe we're using the provisioning model for some time now and it
made things easier and is much more appreciated than the old approach.

Alright, to keep a long story short, I think it would make sense for
Sling to switch to the new model and forget about the old approach. The
slingstart-maven-plugin is a replacement of the launchpad plugin and
does the same, but just based on the model. The maven plugin is a clean
implementation which also builds the launchpad much faster :)

Ok, so where are the problems with switching? The slingstart plugin does
not provide all features, it can just build the launchpad. All other
features are missing.

So, wdyt should we switch?

What do we do with the missing features? Do we implement them after the
switch as needed? Which ones do we really need?

Regards
Carsten
--
Carsten Ziegeler
Adobe Research Switzerland

Re: [RT] Using the Provisioning Model

Posted by Robert Munteanu <ro...@apache.org>.
On Wed, 2015-02-18 at 15:52 +0100, Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
> Am 18.02.15 um 15:20 schrieb Bertrand Delacretaz:
> > Hi,
> >
> > +1 on switching to the provisioning model in general.

Same here.

> > On Wed, Feb 18, 2015 at 3:02 PM, Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@apache.org> wrote:
> >> ...The slingstart plugin does
> >> not provide all features, it can just build the launchpad. All other
> >> features are missing....
> >
> > Which features exactly are missing?
> >
> The launchpad plugin can start/stop a launchpad, I see other mojos wrt
> to Pax and Karaf; I guess that's what is missing.
> Starting/stopping can probably be done outside of that plugin.

Yes, we're using the launchpad in our integration tests ( and presumably
others are doing that too ). How/Were do you see a replacement being
done?

> Adding Karaf support and generating a feature list out of the model
> should be fairly easy.
> Not sure about the CreatePaxRunnerBundleProvisionFileMojo.

Karaf and Pax-Runner _should_ be simple, after all they're just
generating a list of bundles out of the provisioning model.

Robert

Re: [RT] Using the Provisioning Model

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@apache.org>.
Am 18.02.15 um 15:52 schrieb Carsten Ziegeler:
> Am 18.02.15 um 15:20 schrieb Bertrand Delacretaz:
>> Hi,
>>
>> +1 on switching to the provisioning model in general.
>>
>> On Wed, Feb 18, 2015 at 3:02 PM, Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@apache.org> wrote:
>>> ...The slingstart plugin does
>>> not provide all features, it can just build the launchpad. All other
>>> features are missing....
>>
>> Which features exactly are missing?
>>
> The launchpad plugin can start/stop a launchpad, I see other mojos wrt
> to Pax and Karaf; I guess that's what is missing.
> Starting/stopping can probably be done outside of that plugin.

Maybe we could use crankstart for this?

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@apache.org>.

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
Hi,

+1 on switching to the provisioning model in general.

On Wed, Feb 18, 2015 at 3:02 PM, Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@apache.org> wrote:
> ...The slingstart plugin does
> not provide all features, it can just build the launchpad. All other
> features are missing....

Which features exactly are missing?

-Bertrand

Re: [RT] Using the Provisioning Model

Posted by Robert Munteanu <ro...@apache.org>.
On Sat, 2015-03-14 at 13:50 +0100, Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
> I've now added a start/stop goal to the slingstart maven plugin and I
> think with this, we could now switch.
>
> Opionions?

+1 for switching to the slingstart-maven-plugin

Robert

Re: [RT] Using the Provisioning Model