Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Kenney Westerhof <ke...@apache.org> on 2006/11/06 17:07:59 UTC

maven-site-plugin

Hi,

I just noticed this in the maven-site-plugin pom:

  <prerequisites>
    <!-- TODO: this is not reasonable - we need to map a path forward for the change. We can remove this requirement by rolling back r430446 -->
    <maven>2.1-SNAPSHOT</maven>
  </prerequisites>

Here's the log for that revision:

r430446 | kenney | 2006-08-10 19:20:32 +0200 (Thu, 10 Aug 2006) | 11 lines

PR: 2410

Add support for multiple sinks for reports.

Update dep on maven-reporting to 2.1-SNAPSHOT to enable the new MavenReport API.

NOTE that the reporting api changes need to be merged to the 2.0.x branch
before a new site plugin can be released, and that the doxia deps on the 2.0.x branch
need to be updated to 1.0-alpha-9 (currently SNAPSHOT).

I don't think rollback is the way to go, but since we're almost releasing 2.0.5 I'd like
to suggest that we merge the reporting api changes to the 2.0.x branch.

Ideally I'd like to see the reporting api separated from the maven core, since only
the site plugin uses it (and the reporting plugins themselves).

We maybe still need a marker interface in the core to distinguish from normal plugins,
but I'm not sure if that's really required.

This would also remove doxia from the m2 core installation which is again only used
by the reporting plugins/site plugin.

WDYT?

-- Kenney

Re: maven-site-plugin

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.
On 07/11/2006, at 3:07 AM, Kenney Westerhof wrote:

> I don't think rollback is the way to go, but since we're almost
> releasing 2.0.5 I'd like
> to suggest that we merge the reporting api changes to the 2.0.x
> branch.

That might be the best path forward, though I'm generally reluctant
to make such changes in a .0.x branch. Are you 110% certain there's
no backwards compat issues here?

> Ideally I'd like to see the reporting api separated from the maven
> core, since only
> the site plugin uses it (and the reporting plugins themselves).

You're talking about the reporting-impl. Perhaps more of the classes
in the API JAR can be moved there, but the API itself is required by
Maven at this point (I wish it wasn't but it was never fully
decoupled due to the way reports are populated).

> This would also remove doxia from the m2 core installation which is
> again only used
> by the reporting plugins/site plugin.

That's only the sink, same reason as above.

> WDYT?

The latter changes would be good for 2.1 if you can work them out.

Thanks,
Brett