Posted to general@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Simon Pepping <sp...@leverkruid.eu> on 2009/08/06 20:50:28 UTC

Re: [Xmlgraphics Wiki] Update of "StatusReports/StatusReportForAugust2009" by VincentHennebert

Vincent,

On Wed, Aug 05, 2009 at 10:37:13AM -0000, Apache Wiki wrote:
> + No releases this quarter. A provisional solution for changing IPD (page width) has been developed in a branch. This solution works only for simple cases and is more a hack than anything else. But it should make a majority of users happy until a complete solution is developed as part of the new approach at page breaking (which is making progress).

It is your choice to develop your new approach at page breaking in
isolation. Until the time when code from that approach reaches FOP's
repository, it is not a FOP effort, and I would prefer not mention it
more than passingly in a report or mail. So I propose to shorten the
last sentence to: "But it should make a majority of users happy until
a more complete solution is developed."

Simon

--
Simon Pepping
home page: http://www.leverkruid.eu

Re: [Xmlgraphics Wiki] Update of "StatusReports/StatusReportForAugust2009" by VincentHennebert

Posted by Vincent Hennebert <vh...@gmail.com>.
Hi Simon,

Simon Pepping wrote:
> Vincent,
>
> On Wed, Aug 05, 2009 at 10:37:13AM -0000, Apache Wiki wrote:
>> + No releases this quarter. A provisional solution for changing IPD (page width) has been developed in a branch. This solution works only for simple cases and is more a hack than anything else. But it should make a majority of users happy until a complete solution is developed as part of the new approach at page breaking (which is making progress).
>
> It is your choice to develop your new approach at page breaking in
> isolation. Until the time when code from that approach reaches FOP's
> repository, it is not a FOP effort, and I would prefer not mention it
> more than passingly in a report or mail. So I propose to shorten the
> last sentence to: "But it should make a majority of users happy until
> a more complete solution is developed."

I don’t mind. But just to clear any ambiguity, what I’m working on
currently still is the prototype, not the implementation of the new
approach into FOP. I’m not publishing it simply because I don’t have
much to show at the moment. My initial plan to publish what I have [1]
still stands, it simply got delayed by my work on ChangingIPDHack.

Publishing code without the associated documentation amounts to the same
thing as not publishing code at all, and the frequency of changes that
I’m bringing to the prototype at the moment would make the maintenance
of any documentation too costly.

[1] http://markmail.org/message/mzagj4ou2vvwituo

Regards,
Vincent

Re: [Xmlgraphics Wiki] Update of "StatusReports/StatusReportForAugust2009" by VincentHennebert

Posted by Vincent Hennebert <vh...@gmail.com>.
Hi Simon,