Posted to user-cs@ibatis.apache.org by "Nguyen, Tom" <To...@rels.info> on 2007/12/11 20:25:13 UTC

Subsonic Opinion

Hi everyone,

  I just saw several webcasts of a new framework called Subsonic and
want to bring it to attention to the community to get everyone opinions.
http://www.subsonicproject.com <http://www.subsonicproject.com/>   Have
you used it?  What do you think?  Is there anything else similar or
better?

Personally, from what I've seen, I think it looks pretty cool.  I've
been using Ibatis.Net for a while and I love it.  But even with the help
of codesmith, I find myself doing a lot of manual generating and coding
to do prototyping works.  I find that after prototyping, I am usually
rushed to finish the project or it gets hand off to another developer.
I might as well start it correctly because if I prototype it badly, not
only does it look bad for me, but it also cause delay in releasing to
the client.  In my current job, the clients always get what they want.
This is why Subsonic peek my interests.

Thanks,

Tom Nguyen, MCSD.NET
Build and Configuration Engineer
tom.nguyen@rels.info <ma...@rels.info>

This e-mail message and any files transmitted herewith, are intended solely for the
use of the individual(s) addressed and may contain confidential, proprietary or
privileged information.  If you are not the addressee indicated in this message
(or responsible for delivery of this message to such person) you may not review,
use, disclose or distribute this message or any files transmitted herewith.  If you
receive this message in error, please contact the sender by reply e-mail and delete
this message and all copies of it from your system.

RE: Subsonic Opinion

Posted by "Clough, Samuel (USPC.PRG.Atlanta)" <Sa...@princetonrg.com>.
A pretty decent developer that contracted here used it and really liked
it.  In case you're not aware, it's an attempt to bring a Railsish
active record type implementation (I say Railsish because Rail's active
record really depends on a lot of Ruby language features) to a .NET
environment.  I really like the looks of it.  A blog was recently
complaining about it creating very inefficient SQL, but I couldn't tell
if the SQL Subsonic was generating was the problem or if the developer's
app and data model were.

I definitely think the project is worth watching for straightforward
CRUD type apps, although I haven't personally used it.  Something like
this is sorely needed in .NET (Yes, I love the ruby/rails kool-aid)  I
see iBatis as valuable for more "enterpisey" apps where things are being
done beyond fairly straightforward data model manipulation, but have
used it because I find all of MS's approaches (including LINQ) pretty
lacking.  In .NET, data manipulation and domain models seem to be either
very manual, or very drag and drop (which is offensive to my desire for
sound design.)  Things like Subsonic seem to be a more sane approach in
that it is rapid development but not spaghetti code, with tools like
iBatis also serving a vital role where the app is more complex and the
SQL is very important.

Just my .02.

  _____

This e-mail message and any files transmitted herewith, are intended
solely for the use of the individual(s) addressed and may contain
confidential, proprietary or privileged information.  If you are not the
addressee indicated in this message (or responsible for delivery of this
message to such person) you may not review, use, disclose or distribute
this message or any files transmitted herewith.  If you receive this
message in error, please contact the sender by reply e-mail and delete
this message and all copies of it from your system.

  _____

Princeton Retirement Group, Inc - Important Terms
This E-mail is not intended for distribution to, or use by, any person or entity in any location where such distribution or use would be contrary to law or regulation, or which would subject Princeton Retirement Group, Inc. or any affiliate to any registration requirement within such location.
This E-mail may contain privileged or confidential information or may otherwise be protected by work product immunity or other legal rules. No confidentiality or privilege is waived or lost by any mistransmission. Access, copying or re-use of information by non-intended or non-authorized recipients is prohibited. If you are not an intended recipient of this E-mail, please notify the sender, delete it and do not read, act upon, print, disclose, copy, retain or redistribute any portion of this E-mail.
The transmission and content of this E-mail cannot be guaranteed to be secure or error-free. Therefore, we cannot represent that the information in this E-mail is complete, accurate, uncorrupted, timely or free of viruses, and Princeton Retirement Group, Inc. cannot accept any liability for E-mails that have been altered in the course of delivery. Princeton Retirement Group, Inc. reserves the right to monitor, review and retain all electronic communications, including E-mail, traveling through its networks and systems (subject to and in accordance with local laws). If any of your details are incorrect or if you no longer wish to receive mailings such as this by E-mail please contact the sender by reply E-mail.

Re: Subsonic Opinion

Posted by Mohammed Mudassir Azeemi <mm...@gmail.com>.
Try projectjammer.net

Sent from my iPhone