Posted to hdfs-user@hadoop.apache.org by Ferdy Galema <fe...@kalooga.com> on 2011/05/05 22:45:56 UTC

our experiences with various filesystems and tuning options

Hi,

We've performed tests for ext3 and xfs filesystems using different
settings. The results might be useful for anyone else.

The datanode cluster consists of 15 slave nodes, each equipped with
1Gbit ethernet, X3220@2.40GHz quadcores and 4x1TB disks. The disk read
speeds vary from about 90 to 130MB/s. (Tested using hdparm -t).

Hadoop: Cloudera CDH3u0 (4 concurrent mappers / node)
OS: Linux version 2.6.18-238.5.1.el5 (mockbuild@builder10.centos.org)
(gcc version 4.1.2 20080704 (Red Hat 4.1.2-50))

#our command
for i in `seq 1 10`; do ./hadoop jar
../hadoop-examples-0.20.2-cdh3u0.jar randomwriter -Ddfs.replication=1
/rand$i && ./hadoop fs -rmr /rand$i/_logs /rand$i/_SUCCESS && ./hadoop
distcp -Ddfs.replication=1 /rand$i /rand-copy$i; done

Our benchmark consists of a standard random-writer job followed by a
distcp of the same data, both using a replication of 1. This is to make
sure only the disks get hit. Each benchmark is ran several times for
every configuration. Because of the occasional hickup, I will list both
the average and the fastest times for each configuration. I read the
execution times off the jobtracker.

The configurations (with exection times in seconds of Avg-writer /
Min-writer / Avg-distcp / Min-distcp)
ext3-default      158 / 136 / 411 / 343
ext3-tuned        159 / 132 / 330 / 297
ra1024 ext3-tuned 159 / 132 / 292 / 264
ra1024 xfs-tuned  128 / 122 / 220 / 202

To explain, ext3-tuned is with tuned mount options
[noatime,nodiratime,data=writeback,rw] and ra1024 means a read-ahead
buffer of 1024 blocks. The xfs disks are created using mkfs options
[size=128m,lazy-count=1] and mount options [noatime,nodiratime,logbufs=8].

In conclusion it seems that using tuned xfs filesystems combined with
increased read-ahead buffers increased our basic hdfs performance with
about 10% (random-writer) to 40% (distcp).

Hopefully this is useful to anyone. Although I won't be performing more
tests soon I'd be happy to provide more details.
Ferdy.

Re: our experiences with various filesystems and tuning options

Posted by Marcos Ortiz <ml...@uci.cu>.
On 05/10/2011 06:29 AM, Rita wrote:
> I keep asking because I wasn't able to use a XFS filesystem larger
> than 3-4TB. If the XFS file system is larger than 4TB hdfs won't
> recognize the space. I am on a 64bit RHEL 5.3 host.
>

> On Tue, May 10, 2011 at 6:30 AM, Will Maier <wcmaier@hep.wisc.edu
> <ma...@hep.wisc.edu>> wrote:
>
>     On Tue, May 10, 2011 at 12:03:09AM -0400, Rita wrote:
>     > what filesystem are they using and what is the size of each
>     filesystem?
>
>     It sounds nuts, but each disk has its own ext3 filesystem. Beyond
>     switching to
>     the deadline IO scheduler, we haven't done much tuning/tweaking. A
>     script runs
>     every ten minutes to test all of the data mounts and reconfigure
>     hdfs-site.xml
>     and restart the datanode if necessary. So far, this approach has
>     allowed us to
>     avoid loss of space to RAID without correlating the risk of disk
>     failure by
>     building larger RAID0s.
>
>     In the future, we expect to deprecate the script and rely on the
>     datanode process
>     itself to handle missing/failing disks.
>
>     --
>
>     Will Maier - UW High Energy Physics
>     cel: 608.438.6162 <tel:608.438.6162>
>     tel: 608.263.9692 <tel:608.263.9692>
>     web: http://www.hep.wisc.edu/~wcmaier/
>     <http://www.hep.wisc.edu/%7Ewcmaier/>

I saw this problem before with 64 bits version of Red Hat EL 5.3.
Which is the kernel version that you are using?

Can you upgrade the system to 5.5 or to 6.0? There are a lot of bugs
corrections and performance gaining with these releases.
Another issue is that since the 5.4 vesion, Red Hat added preliminary
XFS support specifically to address the need for filesystem more
large, and their RHEL 6 release treats it as a fully supported
filesystem on par with ext3 and ext4.

One last issue: XFS can handle files greather than 16 TB. The primary
problem is the tools to read and write those files. (ext4 virtually too can
handle this huge files, but the problems is on the mkfs utility that is
not optimized for this)

Regards

--
Marcos Luís Ortíz Valmaseda
  Software Engineer (Large-Scaled Distributed Systems)

Re: our experiences with various filesystems and tuning options

Posted by Allen Wittenauer <aw...@apache.org>.
On May 10, 2011, at 6:14 AM, Marcos Ortiz wrote:
> My prefered filesystem is ZFS, It's a shame that Linux support is very inmature yet. For that reason, I changed my PostgreSQL hosts to FreeBSD-8.0 to use
> ZFS like filesystem and it's really rocks.
>
> Had anyone tested a Hadoop cluster with this filesystem?
> On Solaris or FreeBSD?

	HDFS capacity numbers go really wonky on pooled storage systems like ZFS.  Other than that, performance is more than acceptable vs. ext4.  [Sorry, I don't have my benchmark numbers handy.]

Re: our experiences with various filesystems and tuning options

Posted by Marcos Ortiz <ml...@uci.cu>.
On 05/10/2011 06:56 AM, Jonathan Disher wrote:
> In a previous life, I've had extreme problems with XFS, including
> kernel panics and data loss under high load.
>
> Those were database servers, not Hadoop nodes, and it was a few years
> ago.  But, ext3/ext4 seems to be stable enough, and it's more widely
> supported, so it's my preference.
>
> -j
>
> On May 10, 2011, at 3:59 AM, Rita wrote:
>
>> I keep asking because I wasn't able to use a XFS filesystem larger
>> than 3-4TB. If the XFS file system is larger than 4TB hdfs won't
>> recognize the space. I am on a 64bit RHEL 5.3 host.
>>

>> On Tue, May 10, 2011 at 6:30 AM, Will Maier <wcmaier@hep.wisc.edu
>> <ma...@hep.wisc.edu>> wrote:
>>
>>     On Tue, May 10, 2011 at 12:03:09AM -0400, Rita wrote:
>>     > what filesystem are they using and what is the size of each
>>     filesystem?
>>
>>     It sounds nuts, but each disk has its own ext3 filesystem. Beyond
>>     switching to
>>     the deadline IO scheduler, we haven't done much tuning/tweaking.
>>     A script runs
>>     every ten minutes to test all of the data mounts and reconfigure
>>     hdfs-site.xml
>>     and restart the datanode if necessary. So far, this approach has
>>     allowed us to
>>     avoid loss of space to RAID without correlating the risk of disk
>>     failure by
>>     building larger RAID0s.
>>
>>     In the future, we expect to deprecate the script and rely on the
>>     datanode process
>>     itself to handle missing/failing disks.
>>
>>     --
>>
>>     Will Maier - UW High Energy Physics
>>     cel: 608.438.6162 <tel:608.438.6162>
>>     tel: 608.263.9692 <tel:608.263.9692>
>>     web: http://www.hep.wisc.edu/~wcmaier/
>>     <http://www.hep.wisc.edu/%7Ewcmaier/>
>>

>> --
>> --- Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.--

Jonathan, I had the same issues on my PostgreSQL servers, and the main
issues was given by the kernel version that I was using.
I upgrade the kernel to the last version supported by Red Hat, and
everything worked OK.

Posted by Jonathan Disher <jd...@parad.net>.

Posted by Rita <rm...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Will Maier <wc...@hep.wisc.edu>.

Posted by Jonathan Disher <jd...@parad.net>.
This cluster is specifically a near-line archive cluster, so storage density is more important than computational performance.  Our primary production cluster (which actually does very little in the way of computation) is comprised of Dell R510's with 10 disks in JBOD and a two disk mirrored OS drive.  48 of those makes a nice speedy cluster.

-j

Posted by Allen Wittenauer <aw...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jonathan Disher <jd...@parad.net>.

Posted by Rita <rm...@gmail.com>.