Posted to users@activemq.apache.org by alexlzl <zh...@jasperwireless.com> on 2007/10/12 20:40:11 UTC

Multicast Discovery hangs if there is no broker

Hi,

I am using ActiveMQ 4.1.1 with Multicast Discovery for client to find the
broker, thus we can avoid hard coding any physical hosts in the config.
After discovery, the real communication still is through TCP.

However, we found that the MulticastDiscoveryAgent will simply hang there
forever if there is not a single broker in the network broadcasting on the
Multicast channel.

We are using a PooledConnectionFactory, and the brokerUri is something like
this (the "maxReconnectAttempts" does not seem to work):

     discovery:(multicast://239.255.254.1)?maxReconnectAttempts=3

Looks like the agent is waiting on the Multicast socket incoming datagram
forever. It is really bad since we actually init the pool on Tomcat startup.
Once the thread is hanging, everything stops.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions to get around.