Posted to user@hadoop.apache.org by David Parks <da...@yahoo.com> on 2013/03/28 07:07:07 UTC

Which hadoop installation should I use on ubuntu server?

I'm moving off AWS MapReduce to our own cluster, I'm installing Hadoop on
Ubuntu Server 12.10.

I see a .deb installer and installed that, but it seems like files are all
over the place `/usr/share/Hadoop`, `/etc/hadoop`, `/usr/bin/hadoop`. And
the documentation is a bit harder to follow:

http://hadoop.apache.org/docs/r1.1.2/cluster_setup.html

So I just wonder if this installer is the best approach, or if it'll be
easier/better to just install the basic build in /opt/hadoop and perhaps the
docs become easier to follow. Thoughts?

Thanks,

Dave

Re: Which hadoop installation should I use on ubuntu server?

Posted by Marcos Luis Ortiz Valmaseda <ma...@gmail.com>.
In BigTop´s wiki, you can find this:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/BIGTOP/How+to+install+Hadoop+distribution+from+Bigtop+0.5.0#HowtoinstallHadoopdistributionfromBigtop0.5.0-Ubuntu%2864bit%2Clucid%2Cprecise%2Cquantal%29

--
Marcos Ortiz Valmaseda,
*Data-Driven Product Manager* at PDVSA

Re: Which hadoop installation should I use on ubuntu server?

Posted by Marcos Luis Ortiz Valmaseda <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Marcos Luis Ortiz Valmaseda <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Marcos Luis Ortiz Valmaseda <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ted Dunning <td...@maprtech.com>.

Posted by Bertrand Dechoux <de...@gmail.com>.
For information, the 50 node limit on CDH is a past limitation. It is no
longer the case.

*Support for unlimited nodes*. Previous versions of Cloudera Manager Free
> Edition limited the number of managed nodes to 50. This limitation has been
> removed.

https://ccp.cloudera.com/display/FREE45DOC/New+Features+in+Cloudera+Manager+Free+Edition+4

Bertrand

Posted by Bertrand Dechoux <de...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Bertrand Dechoux <de...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Bertrand Dechoux <de...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Bruno Mahé <bm...@apache.org>.

Posted by Bruno Mahé <bm...@apache.org>.

Posted by Bruno Mahé <bm...@apache.org>.

Posted by Bruno Mahé <bm...@apache.org>.

Posted by Ted Dunning <td...@maprtech.com>.

Posted by Ted Dunning <td...@maprtech.com>.

Posted by Ted Dunning <td...@maprtech.com>.

Posted by Nitin Pawar <ni...@gmail.com>.

--
Nitin Pawar

RE: Which hadoop installation should I use on ubuntu server?

Posted by David Parks <da...@yahoo.com>.
I’ve never used the Cloudera distributions, but you can’t not hear about
them. Is it really much easier to manage the whole platform using clouderas
manager?   50 nodes free is generous enough that I’d feel comfortable
committing to them as a platform (and thus the future potential cost), I
think.

My only real experience comes from AWS’s environment, which, other than
having a dedicated DFS, and launching jobs via their “steps” process, they
seem like a pretty straight forward Hadoop configuration.

Dave

I recommend cloudera's CDH4 on ubuntu 12.04 LTS

On Thu, Mar 28, 2013 at 7:07 AM, David Parks <da...@yahoo.com> wrote:

I’m moving off AWS MapReduce to our own cluster, I’m installing Hadoop on
Ubuntu Server 12.10.

I see a .deb installer and installed that, but it seems like files are all
over the place `/usr/share/Hadoop`, `/etc/hadoop`, `/usr/bin/hadoop`. And
the documentation is a bit harder to follow:

http://hadoop.apache.org/docs/r1.1.2/cluster_setup.html

So I just wonder if this installer is the best approach, or if it’ll be
easier/better to just install the basic build in /opt/hadoop and perhaps the
docs become easier to follow. Thoughts?

Thanks,

Dave

--
Håvard Wahl Kongsgård
Data Scientist

http://havard.dbkeeping.com/

RE: Which hadoop installation should I use on ubuntu server?

Posted by Håvard Wahl Kongsgård <ha...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Nitin Pawar <ni...@gmail.com>.

--
Nitin Pawar

Re: Which hadoop installation should I use on ubuntu server?

Posted by Nitin Pawar <ni...@gmail.com>.

--
Nitin Pawar

Re: Which hadoop installation should I use on ubuntu server?

Posted by Håvard Wahl Kongsgård <ha...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Håvard Wahl Kongsgård <ha...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Nitin Pawar <ni...@gmail.com>.

--
Nitin Pawar

Re: Which hadoop installation should I use on ubuntu server?

Posted by Håvard Wahl Kongsgård <ha...@gmail.com>.