Posted to users@openoffice.apache.org by Alexandro Colorado <jz...@oooes.org> on 2013/12/31 18:48:06 UTC

Performance measurements on Mac vs others

Hi I am in a disucussion with a friend about how slow is OpenOffice for Mac
since it relies on X11. I thought that X11 was no longer needed and an aqua
version was provided, but it seems this was not true since reading the FAQ
it says that X11 is included with AOO -- hence the dependency still with
the display manager.

That said besides starting up, I am not sure how would that impact
performance of the application when performing common tasks.

However, since I don't own a mac, I would like to open the discussion to
the community and get some feedback regardling performance on cold boots,
between the different OS.

For 4.0.1 I got times of 4 seconds to boot OpenOffice on my Linux box with
4GB of RAM and a core dou chip.

Would be nice if people can time the boot time of this application.

--
Alexandro Colorado
Apache OpenOffice Contributor

Re: Performance measurements on Mac vs others

Posted by Alexandro Colorado <jz...@oooes.org>.
On Tue, Dec 31, 2013 at 12:21 PM, Johnny Rosenberg
<gu...@gmail.com>wrote:

> 2013/12/31 Alexandro Colorado <jz...@oooes.org>
>
> > Hi I am in a disucussion with a friend about how slow is OpenOffice for
> Mac
> > since it relies on X11. I thought that X11 was no longer needed and an
> aqua
> > version was provided, but it seems this was not true since reading the
> > it says that X11 is included with AOO -- hence the dependency still with
> > the display manager.
> >
> > That said besides starting up, I am not sure how would that impact
> > performance of the application when performing common tasks.
> >
> > However, since I don't own a mac, I would like to open the discussion to
> > the community and get some feedback regardling performance on cold boots,
> > between the different OS.
> >
> > For 4.0.1 I got times of 4 seconds to boot OpenOffice on my Linux box
> with
> > 4GB of RAM and a core dou chip.
> >
> > Would be nice if people can time the boot time of this application.
> >

> There are probably too many combinations of hardware for such a comparison
> to be relevant.
> CPU speed isn't everything.

​Is working out for me so far. ​

Posted by johnny smith <ka...@krovatka.su>.
On Tue, 31 Dec 2013 18:21:46 -0000, Johnny Rosenberg <gu...@gmail.com> wrote:

> CPU speed isn't everything.

particularly, hdd speed is of importance because large amounts of data are read from the disk on startup. on my computer (amd athlon ii x2 240e, 2.8 ghz, 4 gib ram, windows xp sp2) openoffice starts in six seconds, and this period of time is filled with hdd cracking and knocking. hdd is a rather old western digital caviar wd200bb-32aua1.

Re: Performance measurements on Mac vs others

Posted by Johnny Rosenberg <gu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Alexandro Colorado <jz...@oooes.org>.
BTW I wonder if OSX has the 'time' command to be able to have accurate
readings of the openoffice process.

For that you need to pipe time with openoffice and close it almost as
soon as it opens.
http://linux.byexamples.com/archives/327/use-time-command-as-a-simple-benchmark-tool/

Further reading about cold-startup tests performed in 3.x
(unfortunattely mainly focused on Windows).
https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Performance/OOo31_LibrariesOnStartup

Posted by Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>.

Posted by John Jason Jordan <jo...@comcast.net>.

Posted by Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>.
Alexandro Colorado <jz...@oooes.org> wrote:

> Hi I am in a disucussion with a friend about how slow is OpenOffice for Mac
> since it relies on X11. I thought that X11 was no longer needed and an aqua
> version was provided, but it seems this was not true since reading the FAQ
> it says that X11 is included with AOO -- hence the dependency still with
> the display manager.
>
> That said besides starting up, I am not sure how would that impact
> performance of the application when performing common tasks.
>
> However, since I don't own a mac, I would like to open the discussion to
> the community and get some feedback regardling performance on cold boots,
> between the different OS.
>
> For 4.0.1 I got times of 4 seconds to boot OpenOffice on my Linux box with
> 4GB of RAM and a core dou chip.
>
> Would be nice if people can time the boot time of this application.
>
> --
> Alexandro Colorado

I can give you three sets of figures
In all cases, to open to the splash screen.
On Xubuntu 32 10 seconds (subsequent opening 3 secs) P4 dualcore 4GB memory
On Xubuntu 64 12 seconds (subsequent opening 2 secs) AMD dualcore 4GB
On WinXP 32  5 seconds (subsequent opening 2 secs) AMD dualcore 4GB

On both computers slow hard disks.
--
Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>

Re: Performance measurements on Mac vs others

Posted by Alexandro Colorado <jz...@oooes.org>.
On Tue, Dec 31, 2013 at 12:44 PM, Raphael Bircher <r....@gmx.ch> wrote:

> Am 31.12.13 19:31, schrieb Alexandro Colorado:
>
>> On Tue, Dec 31, 2013 at 12:04 PM, Raphael Bircher <r....@gmx.ch>
>> wrote:
>>
>>  Am 31.12.13 18:48, schrieb Alexandro Colorado:
>>>
>>>   Hi I am in a disucussion with a friend about how slow is OpenOffice for

>>> need
>>> no X11 on Mac OS X
>>>

>>   http://www.openoffice.org/porting/mac/faq/installing/X11.html​
>>
>> ​" X11 comes pre-installed on Mac OSX 10.5, so you can install
>> OpenOffice.org<http://www.openoffice.org/porting/mac/
>> faq/installing/ooo.html>directly."​
>>
> Yea, 10.5 comes with x11. But this dosn't mean we use it. Your URL is
> prehistoric, and describe the install process of a 2.x (wich still use X11)
>
> 3.x and 4.x use definitifly no X11

​ok good to know, perhaps we should update this page with more current
information since this page keeps coming up on the top google search for
OpenOffice on Mac at least on my side of the rock.​

Posted by Raphael Bircher <r....@gmx.ch>.

Posted by Alexandro Colorado <jz...@oooes.org>.

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.
On 31/12/2013 Keith N. McKenna wrote:
> when snipping off everything after the html then it opens a very old
> FAQ dealing with the old Mac porting project. Right at the top it says
> that X11 is not needed with Aqua! These FAQ's are very old and I
> suspect quite outdated.

As discussed here, they are so obsolete that nobody can find them useful
any longer.

So I've removed the content from these two pages:

http://www.openoffice.org/porting/mac/faq/installing/ooo_x11.html

http://www.openoffice.org/porting/mac/faq/installing/X11.html

There's a lot of outdated information around, but since these specific
pages were confusing it's good to remove them.

Regards,
   Andrea.

Re: Performance measurements on Mac vs others

Posted by "Keith N. McKenna" <ke...@comcast.net>.

Re: Performance measurements on Mac vs others

Posted by Raphael Bircher <r....@gmx.ch>.

Posted by Larry Gusaas <la...@gmail.com>.
On 2013-12-31, 11:48 AM Alexandro Colorado wrote:
> Hi I am in a disucussion with a friend about how slow is OpenOffice for Mac
> since it relies on X11. I thought that X11 was no longer needed and an aqua
> version was provided, but it seems this was not true since reading the FAQ
> it says that X11 is included with AOO -- hence the dependency still with
> the display manager.

AOO does not need X11. X11 was never included with OOo. Before OOo 3.0 X11 was required but it
was included with Mac OS X.

> However, since I don't own a mac, I would like to open the discussion to
> the community and get some feedback regardling performance on cold boots,
> between the different OS.
>
> For 4.0.1 I got times of 4 seconds to boot-
On MacBook Pro - 2.4 GHz i5 -  8GB Ram - PCle SSD
After system reboot - 3 sec.
Subsequent - 2 sec.

On Late 2006 MacBook - 2.0GHz Core 2 Duo -2GB Ram - 7200rpm HDD
After system reboot - 18 sec.
Subsequent - 4.5 sec.

--

Larry I. Gusaas