Posted to pluto-dev@portals.apache.org by Nick Lothian <ni...@essential.com.au> on 2004/10/01 01:23:21 UTC

RE: Simplifying Pluto: Pluto 1.1? (was RE: Defining the release)

I believe someone (David?) started on a Picocontainer based version a while
ago.

I'd prefer Spring, but that's just because I have more experience with it.

(Speaking of Spring - I recently submitted some patches so allow you to use
Spring MVC - including the Spring taglibs - in a Portlet. See
http://opensource.atlassian.com/projects/spring/browse/SPR-317 for a sample
of how to use it.)

Nick

Posted by "David H. DeWolf" <dd...@apache.org>.
David,

I appreciate your candid feedback. As you clearly stated, Kuiper, while it
does have it's issues, IS much easier to embed with a portal.  I believe
that this is a direct result of the fact that it was designed from the
ground up for that specific purpose and uses standard programming practices
and design patterns to accomplish that goal.

I'd encourage you to take a hard look at the 1.1 seed code (at this rate it
looks like it'll be a 1.1 branch) which I'll be uploading in the next day or
two.  The seed code is also intended, from the beginning, to be much easier
to embed.  Additionally, I think you'll find several distinct advantages
over Kuiper and honestly believe that you'll like it even better that Kuiper
if you take the time to take a quick look at it.

Additionally, all indications show that this upcoming seed code will have
community buy in, something Kuiper never was able to get.  This in itself
will ensure that it will grow and become more than just one man's whim of
ideas.

David

Posted by David Barral <da...@elrincondelprogramador.com>.
Hi.