Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Andy Jefferson <an...@ajsoft.net> on 2003/07/15 21:39:07 UTC

1.0 beta 10 : Repositories

Trying to use the Beta 10 and having problems with repositories. I've
changed nothing in the configs and if I now do a 'maven clean' I get
failure to download for all dependencies.

I have maven installed on Linux in /usr/local/maven and have installed
the JAR's in the repository there. I heard something about using a
$user/.maven directory. On the only dependency that it managed to
download, it decided to put that in the users own space.

Anyone got a definitive statement on what is the policy with local
repositories ?

What I would expect would be to try the users home, and then
$MAVEN_HOME, and then complain. What it *seems* to do is just check the
users space. If this is correct, this would be no good for group
working. I have a centralised repository and users shouldn't need to
duplicate this (or even put in symlinks to the ones they need).

Any clues ?

TIA
--
Andy

Re: 1.0 beta 10 : Repositories

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@zenplex.com>.
On Wed, 2003-07-16 at 02:37, Andy Jefferson wrote:

> Thanks Jason,
>
> I've set ~/build.properties and it finds the shared repository and
> downloads into that. The next problem I have is that I have 2
> dependencies
>
> <dependency>
>     <groupId>xdoclet</groupId>
>     <artifactId>xdoclet-ejb-module</artifactId>
>     <version>1.2b4</version>
>     <url>http://xdoclet.sourceforge.net/</url>
>     </dependency>
> <dependency>
>     <groupId>xdoclet</groupId>
>     <artifactId>xjavadoc</artifactId>
>     <version>1.0</version>
>     <url>http://xdoclet.sourceforge.net/</url>
> </dependency>
>
> In beta9 this went to the repository and found
> xdoclet/jars/xdoclet-web-module-1.2b4.jar
> xdoclet/jars/xjavadoc-1.0.jar
>
> In beta10 this finds the
> xdoclet/jars/xdoclet-web-module-1.2b4.jar
>
> BUT complains about the second one and seems to be looking for
> xdoclet/jars/xdoclet-xjavadoc-1.0.jar

That's most definitely a bug. It shouldn't be doing that.

> Is this correct behaviour ? Why is it putting the groupId as a prefix
> for the second one yet didn't add it on for the first one ?

No, that's not correct behaviour. Put that example in JIRA and I'll
track it from there.

I'm currently finishing off a little testing framework which I will
start using for the rc series to catch changes in plugins and some the
repository behaviour which seems to have been whacked between the
releases.

--
jvz.

Jason van Zyl
jason@zenplex.com
http://tambora.zenplex.org

Re: 1.0 beta 10 : Repositories

Posted by did <di...@ddubois.info>.
Excellent!

Thanks Jason. Everything is more clear now for me.

Did.

Re: 1.0 beta 10 : Repositories

Posted by "Henning P. Schmiedehausen" <hp...@intermeta.de>.
Ben Walding <be...@walding.com> writes:

>You have to wonder if the shared local repo might be a useful thing to
>have in addition to personal local repo.

>personal local -> shared local -> remote repo1 -> remote repo2

>Items would only be copied into personal local if they came from remote
>repo *

>This is definitely a use case that codehaus would be able to use.  i.e.
>shared "untrusted" users  ;). It would also be highly applicable for a
>site such as sourceforge where you don't want to mirror multiple full
>local repos.

Being able to add a "shared repository" that contains all of the jars
required by maven itself would already be a huge win. I once had
patches for this (http://maven.intermeta.de/rpm/) but there was no
interest from the maven developers to get them.

Still I'd like to see a clean separation between jars needed by maven
to run its tasks and the application. Ideally ~/.maven/repo would
contain only jars actually downloaded by the developer himself and
could be nuked with rm -rf without any harm to the installation.

>Perhaps for maven2 / maven-new / maven-ng...

Sure. ;-) "A man can dream. A man can dream." (Prof. Hubert J. Farnsworth).

	Regards
		Henning

>Jason van Zyl wrote:

>>On Wed, 2003-07-16 at 17:42, did wrote:
>>

>>>Just a question:
>>>
>>>I would like to understand what is the motivation to let Maven puts his
>>>repository onto ~/.maven ???
>>>This would lead to as many repositories as connected users...
>>>

>>This is no different then it has been in the past but I'll explain the
>>reasoning.
>>
>>As far as a repository per user, that's always been an option. So that
>>each user has a single repository of artifacts as opposed to having a
>>duplicated artifacts in lib/ directories of each build. One repository
>>per user is a lot better than having N copies of xerces lying around.
>>
>>We made the new default directory for the repository ~/.maven so that
>>it is easier to upgrade Maven when the repository isn't hiding inside
>>$MAVEN_HOME. Upon inspection maybe this shouldn't have been made .maven
>>as I'm not sure if this is still a problem for Windows users. I haven't
>>used a Windows box in 5 years so I don't know.
>>
>>We also started using ~/.maven so that there was a place to expand the
>>plugins so that there would be a local cache for each user and the base
>>installation could be read-only.
>>
>>You can always override the property that controls where the local
>>repository is. If you and your co-developers have a shared drive then
>>you can share a local repository by pointing at a shared directory.
>>

>>>Regards,
>>>Did.

--- Quote of the week: "It is pointless to tell people anything when
you know that they won't process the message." --- Jonathan Revusky

Re: 1.0 beta 10 : Repositories

Posted by Ben Walding <be...@walding.com>.

Re: 1.0 beta 10 : Repositories

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@zenplex.com>.
> [...]

> >    <groupId>xdoclet</groupId>
> >    <artifactId>xdoclet-ejb-module</artifactId>
> >    <version>1.2b4</version>
> >    <url>http://xdoclet.sourceforge.net/</url>
> >    </dependency>
> ><dependency>
> >    <groupId>xdoclet</groupId>
> >    <artifactId>xjavadoc</artifactId>
> >    <version>1.0</version>
> >    <url>http://xdoclet.sourceforge.net/</url>
> ></dependency>
> >
> >In beta9 this went to the repository and found
> >xdoclet/jars/xdoclet-web-module-1.2b4.jar
> >xdoclet/jars/xjavadoc-1.0.jar
> >
> >In beta10 this finds the
> >xdoclet/jars/xdoclet-web-module-1.2b4.jar
> >
> >BUT complains about the second one and seems to be looking for
> >xdoclet/jars/xdoclet-xjavadoc-1.0.jar
> >

> >Is this correct behaviour ? Why is it putting the groupId as a prefix
> >for the second one yet didn't add it on for the first one ?

jvz.

Jason van Zyl
jason@zenplex.com
http://tambora.zenplex.org

Re: 1.0 beta 10 : Repositories

Posted by Paul Libbrecht <pa...@activemath.org>.
did wrote:
> Just a question:
>
> I would like to understand what is the motivation to let Maven puts his
> repository onto ~/.maven ???
> This would lead to as many repositories as connected users...
>
> Regards,
> Did.

I think locking is the problem... running as shared users might have
inconsistent behaviours if two persons are building the same at the same
time...

Presumably (and at worst with java.nio), a better version will do this
locking complete... imitating, for example, CVS, on this.

Paul

Re: 1.0 beta 10 : Repositories

Posted by did <di...@ddubois.info>.
Just a question:

Re: 1.0 beta 10 : Repositories

Posted by Andy Jefferson <an...@ajsoft.net>.

Re: 1.0 beta 10 : Repositories

Posted by Ben Walding <be...@walding.com>.
Thanks Jason,

This has been added to the Wiki faq -
http://wiki.codehaus.org/maven/FrequentlyAskedQuestions (last item)

Re: 1.0 beta 10 : Repositories

Posted by James CE Johnson <jc...@tragus.org>.
Jason van Zyl wrote:

>On Tue, 2003-07-15 at 15:39, Andy Jefferson wrote:
>

>>Trying to use the Beta 10 and having problems with repositories. I've
>>changed nothing in the configs and if I now do a 'maven clean' I get
>>failure to download for all dependencies.
>>
>>I have maven installed on Linux in /usr/local/maven and have installed
>>the JAR's in the repository there. I heard something about using a
>>$user/.maven directory. On the only dependency that it managed to
>>download, it decided to put that in the users own space.
>>

>>Anyone got a definitive statement on what is the policy with local
>>repositories ?
>>
>>What I would expect would be to try the users home, and then
>>$MAVEN_HOME, and then complain. What it *seems* to do is just check the
>>users space. If this is correct, this would be no good for group
>>working. I have a centralised repository and users shouldn't need to
>>duplicate this (or even put in symlinks to the ones they need).
>>
>>Any clues ?
>>

>The default value for maven.repo.local is now defined in the
>default.properties file and it has a value of:
>
>${maven.home.local}/repository
>
>This will default to
>
>~/.maven/repository
>
>So you can override the value of maven.repo.local to set it to whatever
>you desire but it now defaults to ~/.maven/repository to enable to use
>of shared repositories.

So tell me if I'm getting this right...

I set $MAVEN_HOME to /usr/local/maven and maven.repo.local to
/usr/local/maven/repository then I build b10. Now all of the users on
the system can add $MAVEN_HOME/bin to their path and set
maven.repo.local in their ~/build.properties and by doing so everyone
will use the same, shared maven binary and 3rd party jars.

Yes?

Re: 1.0 beta 10 : Repositories

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@zenplex.com>.

--