Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by List Account <li...@wjcc.org> on 2001/12/05 21:15:11 UTC

Help with Name Based Virtual Hosting needed please. Thanks in advance!!

Hi,

I have RH 7.2 and Apache 1.3 (Newest) setup, and I am trying to set it up to
host multiple top level domains.

My server has 1 IP that is set for the main domain I am hosting(main
domain) This works fine.

I have another tl domains setup in other DNS servers that also resolve
to my IP.

I have the httpd.conf virtual hosts setup like this(the domain names
have been changed to protect the innocent, and the IP represented by
the xx.xx.xx.xx are the same in both directives)
-----------------------------Cut & Paste-----------------------

<VirtualHost xx.xx.xx.xx>
    ServerAdmin will@wherever.com
    DocumentRoot /var/www/html
    ServerName www.wherever.com
</VirtualHost>

<VirtualHost xx.xx.xx.xx>
    ServerAdmin will@wherever.com
    DocumentRoot /var/www/html/anotherdomain.net
    ServerName www.anotherdomain.net
DirectoryIndex index.htm
</VirtualHost>

When I go to www.wherever.com (the main domain) the page loads fine
and the whole site works flawlessly.

When I got to www.anotherdomain.net I get the www.wherever.com main
page, and none of the links to the rest of the site work.

But if I go to www.anotherdomain.net/index.htm I get the right page
for the second domain (anotherdomain.net)  and the whole site works
fine.  How do I get it so it defaults to the index.htm file in this
secondary domain, instead of me having to specify it in the URL???

I am SOOO close, but I cannot figure it out!  Please help!!!

TIA!!!!!!

Will

Re: Help with Name Based Virtual Hosting needed please. Thanks in advance!!

Posted by List Account <li...@wjcc.org>.
Thanks Guys!!!  It IS my local Charter Pipeline DNS setup!!!

Man I have been wracking my brains all day!!!

Did either of you notice anything that needs to be secured/fixed in that
httpd.conf file?

Thanks again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Will

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.

Posted by List Account <li...@wjcc.org>.
I have the NameVirtualHost directive....I am banging my head against the
wall on this one....

Thanks for the help!!

Will

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.