Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Vadim Gritsenko <va...@reverycodes.com> on 2005/01/26 14:13:47 UTC

Re: sitemap, jx and flow design

Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
> Daniel Fagerstrom wrote:
>
>> Now for the instructions (jx:forEach etc) we have the question if they
>> should be choosed:
>>
>> 1. Programatically: There is an abstract base class with common
>> template generator functionality. To implement e.g. JXTG this base
>> class is extended. And the extended class enumerates the instructions
>> that should be used and also choose parsing strategy etc.
>>
>> 2. Configuration: Instructions or set of instructions are made
>> components and connected to the template generator in the configuration.
>>
>> 3. Within the template language: There are special instructions in
>> some common base template language that allow the user to include sets
>> of (Java written) instructions.
>>
>> I would prefer the configuration way find the programatic way ok and
>> be against the within the template language way.
>> WDYT?
>

> This really looks like just an implementation detail... I would think
> that the configuration way makes it easier (psycologically) for people
> to add their own instructions than the other two. #1 is cleaner than #3
> and less avalonish than #2.
>
> I'm not thrilled with the idea of people adding their own keywords to
> the template language... just like the sitemap, it should be possible
> but not easy, so that people would feel discouradged to do it. So
> probably #1 would be my choice.

Sitemap currently is configured with an XML file which describes all sitemap
keywords (sitemap-language.xml), and we do not hear about folks messing with it.
So I'd say #2 is good too, as long as configuration is a reference to a
configuration file which is tucked into cocoon.jar - same as for the sitemap.

Vadim

Re: sitemap, jx and flow design

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.
Vadim Gritsenko wrote:
> Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
>
>> Daniel Fagerstrom wrote:
>>
>>> Now for the instructions (jx:forEach etc) we have the question if
>>> they should be choosed:
>>>
>>> 1. Programatically: There is an abstract base class with common
>>> template generator functionality. To implement e.g. JXTG this base
>>> class is extended. And the extended class enumerates the instructions
>>> that should be used and also choose parsing strategy etc.
>>>
>>> 2. Configuration: Instructions or set of instructions are made
>>> components and connected to the template generator in the configuration.
>>>
>>> 3. Within the template language: There are special instructions in
>>> some common base template language that allow the user to include
>>> sets of (Java written) instructions.
>>>
>>> I would prefer the configuration way find the programatic way ok and
>>> be against the within the template language way.
>>> WDYT?
>>

>> This really looks like just an implementation detail... I would think
>> that the configuration way makes it easier (psycologically) for people
>> to add their own instructions than the other two. #1 is cleaner than
>> #3 and less avalonish than #2.
>>
>> I'm not thrilled with the idea of people adding their own keywords to
>> the template language... just like the sitemap, it should be possible
>> but not easy, so that people would feel discouradged to do it. So
>> probably #1 would be my choice.
>

> Sitemap currently is configured with an XML file which describes all
> sitemap keywords (sitemap-language.xml), and we do not hear about folks
> messing with it. So I'd say #2 is good too, as long as configuration is
> a reference to a configuration file which is tucked into cocoon.jar -
> same as for the sitemap.

Good point. I stand corrected.

--
Stefano.