Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Jon Koerber <cr...@mac.com> on 2006/11/21 18:44:59 UTC

Re: Problem connecting to svnserve - not sure about protocols?

Hi all,

I have a svnserve daemon running on a LAN server (dual G4 Powermac)
at address 192.168.1.101.

I am trying to connect to the server and checkout a project using an
Intel MacBook client connected to the same network.

Running svn --version gives the following on both machines (server
and laptop client):

The following repository access (RA) modules are available:

* ra_dav : Module for accessing a repository via WebDAV (DeltaV)
protocol.
   - handles 'http' scheme
* ra_svn : Module for accessing a repository using the svn network
protocol.
   - handles 'svn' scheme
* ra_local : Module for accessing a repository on local disk.
   - handles 'file' scheme

I am not running Apache 2.x so I believe I cannot use the http://
method to connect to a subversion server. Let me know if I am
mistaken on this.  So this leaves me with file:///, svn://, and svn
+ssh:// for connection methods.

I would like to be able to use any of the above methods (depending on
where I am located at the time - remote or local).  I am only able to
get the file:/// method to work however.  I appreciate the help
debugging my connection issues.  Here are my attempts to connect
using the three methods from above:

The project repository on the server is located at /Library/WebServer/
Documents/pjb2

1) Try using svn checkout svn://192.168.1.101/Library/WebServer/
Documents/pjb2  /projects
This runs for two minutes or more before reporting back with svn:
Can't connect to host '192.168.1.101': Operation timed out

2) Try using svn checkout svn+ssh://192.168.1.101/Library/WebServer/
Documents/pjb2  /projects
It immediately prompts me for my password: Password:********
I then get the error message
bash: line 1: svnserve: command not found
svn: Connection closed unexpectedly
I can, however, SSH into the machine just fine using ssh -l jkoerber
192.168.1.101, although I am not sure how I am supposed to pass my
userid (admin user on server) in the svn+ssh command?  I even tried:
svn --username jkoerber checkout svn+ssh://192.168.1.101/Library/
WebServer/Documents/pjb2  /projects
but got the same errors.

>> That would be
>>
>> $ svn --username jkoerber checkout
>> svn+ssh://jkoerber@192.168.1.101/Library/WebServer/Documents/pjb2
>> /projects
>>
>> HTH,
>>
>> Erik.

> I tried the command exactly as listed above and am still getting
> the same weird error:  Here is my exact console listing:
>
> ~jkoerber$ svn --username jkoerber checkout svn+ssh://
> jkoerber@192.168.1.101/Library/WebServer/Documents/pjb2  /projects
> Password: ********
> bash: line 1: svnserve: command not found
> svn: Connection closed unexpectedly
> ~jkoerber$
>
> If I go back over to my server and do a list command, I can verify
> the existance of my repository in the same path:
> PM-G4: ~jkoerber$ svn list svn://192.168.1.101/Library/WebServer/
> Documents/pjb2
> proj_trunk/
> PM-G4:~jkoerber$
>
> So, without being able to connect to the svnserve daemon with my
> client machine, I am stuck in the mud.  Any other suggestions?
>
> Jon

3) Try using svn checkout svn checkout file:///Volumes/DEV/Library/
WebServer/Documents/pjb2  /projects
This works fine and starts, slowly, to checkout all of the files in
the project to my local working copy.  I am not sure if this is a
good way to work with Subversion, however, since I basically have to
connect to the server first in the Finder (filesystem) and then do a
full path to the server repository in the file:/// pathname.

I am keen to debug the svn:// and svn+ssh:// methods as I think these
will be the most appropriate to use.

Thanks for the help.

Re: Problem connecting to svnserve - not sure about protocols?

Posted by Saulius Grazulis <gr...@akl.lt>.
On Tuesday 21 November 2006 20:44, Jon Koerber wrote:

> 1) Try using svn checkout svn://192.168.1.101/Library/WebServer/
> Documents/pjb2  /projects
> This runs for two minutes or more before reporting back with svn:
> Can't connect to host '192.168.1.101': Operation timed out

Hmm... strange. Can you telnet to 192.168.1.101 port 3690 (the default
svnserve port)? Are you sure svnserve (or inetd, or xinetd) are listening on
port 3690? Try:

laptop> telnet 192.168.1.101 3690

Ans see if it timeouts as well...

Also, firewall can be blocking the port...

> 2) Try using svn checkout svn+ssh://192.168.1.101/Library/WebServer/
> Documents/pjb2  /projects
> It immediately prompts me for my password: Password:********
> I then get the error message
> bash: line 1: svnserve: command not found
> svn: Connection closed unexpectedly

This shows that svnserve is not in your sshd default path. The server 'sshd'
has path hard-coded into it (typically something
like /usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin, but ), and your initial shell gets just
these paths (for security reasons, I believe).

Your svnserve is not in one of these directories, so it is not found when svn
client tries to start it for repository access.

The remedy would be to symlink svnserve into one of these directories. You can
also change default paths during ssh compilation. I do not know if you can
change those in the sshd configuration files...

> I can, however, SSH into the machine just fine using ssh -l jkoerber
> 192.168.1.101,

This is necessary but not sufficient.

> although I am not sure how I am supposed to pass my
> userid (admin user on server) in the svn+ssh command?  I even tried:
> svn --username jkoerber checkout svn+ssh://192.168.1.101/Library/
> WebServer/Documents/pjb2  /projects
> but got the same errors.

I guess the right way to pass your name to ssh when you are using svn+ssh
method would be to use tunnels (have a look in the Subversion book); in
short:

a) uncomment

[tunnels]

section in you ~/.subversion/config file

b) add line

sshjkoerber = ssh -l jkoerber

to the ~/.subversion/config file to create new tunnel named 'sshjkoerber'

c) access the repository:

svn co svn+sshjkoerber://192.168.1.101/Library/WebServer/Documents/pjb2

to access your repository vie the new ssh tunnel.

Hope this helps,

--
Dr. Saulius Gražulis

Asociacija "Atviras Kodas Lietuvai"
Non-profit association "Open Source for Lithuania"
P.Vileišio g. 18
LT-10306 Vilnius
Lietuva (Lithuania)

web:          http://www.akl.lt/
tel/fax:      (+370-5)-210-4005
mobile:       (+370-684)-49802, (+370-614)-36366

Re: Problem connecting to svnserve - not sure about protocols?

Posted by Jon Koerber <jk...@classjuggler.com>.
On Dec 18, 2006, at 11:47 AM, Saulius Grazulis wrote:

>> Erik,
>>
>> I do have a firewall running on my server, but it looks like SSH runs
>> on port 22 on Mac OS X Tiger.  Just in case, I added an allow rule
>> for port 3690 and tried the command again with no luck.
>
> I beleive you do not use ssh (and port 22) when you access URL
> svn://192.168.1.101/...; 'svn:' protocol indicates access to
> svnserve on port
> 3690 (by default).
>
> Only command
>
> svn co svn+ssh://192.168.1.101/...
>
> would use ssh and go via port 22.

Thanks Saulius, but I ruled out the firewall port issue by disabling
my firewall during the latest test.

Looking into other possible problems (such as a path issue) as the
culprit.

Jon

Posted by Saulius Grazulis <gr...@ibt.lt>.

Posted by Saulius Grazulis <gr...@akl.lt>.
On Monday 18 December 2006 21:52, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

> I'm not sure of the solution because I do not use svnserve or svn
> +ssh, but I find it hard to believe that one would be required to
> symlink svnserve somewhere or recompile ssh with special options, as
> someone else suggested.

That was me ;)

The issue is not so much related to subversion but to ssh.

sshd, for security reasons, does not include /usr/local/bin/ into the PATH by
default; as Ryan perfectly explained in his cited post 'ssh 192.168.1.101
printenv' will most probably miss /usr/local/bin directory in the PATH
variable.

Apparently, /usr/local/bin is added to the PATH by shell profile scripts,
could be /etc/profile (for sh and bash) or /etc/csh.cshrc (for csh and tcsh).

Symlinking /usr/local/bin/svnserve to /usr/bin/svnserve is one possible (quick
and dirty?) easy solution; there are other possbilities; one of them is
recompiling ssh wih custom path, but I guess symlink is somewhat easier ;).

The issue will pop up also with other ssh-tunelling programs in
"non-standard" (according to ssh) locations, say with /usr/local/bin/rsync.

BTW, I have just found out that one can change ssh's default path (and other
environment vars) in the ~/.ssh/environment file :)

"Additionally, ssh reads ~/.ssh/environment, and adds lines of the format
``VARNAME=value'' to the environment if the file exists and if users are
allowed to change their environment.  For more information, see the
PermitUserEnvironment option in sshd_config(5)"

(from man ssh)

Posted by Jon Koerber <cr...@mac.com>.
Thanks Ryan, Saul, and Erik...

On Dec 18, 2006, at 11:52 AM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

> On Dec 18, 2006, at 13:39, Jon Koerber wrote:

>>> When using svn+ssh://, yes, you'd be using port 22. But when
>>> using the svn:// protocol, you'd be using the svnserve port 3690.
>>>
>>> svn:// and svn+ssh:// work differently. svn:// connects over 3690
>>> to a running svnserve daemon on the server. svn+ssh:// does not
>>> make use of any running daemon; rather, it starts svnserve itself
>>> every time you connect, and stops it when you're done. So
>>> svnserve needs to be in the path of the connecting user. It
>>> isn't, hence the error that it can't find the command svnserve.
>>
>> I thought the same thing when I first ran into this problem, as it
>> seemed to be a path issue.  The user account, "jkoerber", on the
>> server that I am using in the connect has the correct $PATH for
>> Subversion:  /usr/local/bin.
>>
>> I checked the value of the $PATH env variable by connecting
>> directly via SSH to the server from my client and it does indeed
>> have the correct path to the /usr/local/bin directory where
>> svnserve lives.  Is it somehow not picking up the $PATH at the
>> time I issue the svn+ssh connection protocol?  It "seems" to be
>> set up correctly?
>
> ssh uses of different environment variables depending on whether
> you ssh in to an interactive shell or whether you ssh in and
> directly run a program like svnserve.
>
> To demonstrate this, ssh to the server and run printenv to see the
> environment variables (including PATH).
>
> $ ssh 192.168.1.101
> Password:
> $ printenv
>
> Now exit out, and compare this with the environment variables used
> when you directly run a program without an interactive shell:
>
> $ ssh 192.168.1.101 printenv
> Password:

Yep, you nailed it.  Since svn does not invoke the shell, my $PATH
isn't populated with the correct path to the subversion binaries (it
only has usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin).

> You should see that in the latter case, which is the case in effect
> when it's trying to run svnserve, the PATH is different, and
> doesn't contain /usr/local/bin.
>

> I'm not sure of the solution because I do not use svnserve or svn
> +ssh, but I find it hard to believe that one would be required to
> symlink svnserve somewhere or recompile ssh with special options,
> as someone else suggested. Does the book not address the situation
> of having svnserve in a nonstandard location? If special setup is
> required for this case, it should address it.

A symlink will do fine for now (suggested by Saulius in his reply).
That should also solve the "svn:// protocol too".

I'll look back at the book to see if the nonstandard install location
is mentioned and I missed it.  I'll also look to see if there is a
way to set up a path for an SSH client that is executing a program
directly, although that may be bad form for security reasons.

Thanks again for the help!

Jon

Re: Problem connecting to svnserve - not sure about protocols?

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.

Posted by Jon Koerber <cr...@mac.com>.
On Dec 18, 2006, at 11:23 AM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

> On Dec 18, 2006, at 13:12, Jon Koerber wrote:
>
>> I do have a firewall running on my server, but it looks like SSH
>> runs on port 22 on Mac OS X Tiger.  Just in case, I added an allow
>> rule for port 3690 and tried the command again with no luck.  I
>> then turned off the server's firewall entirely to test the
>> connection and still get the same error as above.  Hmm, this is
>> perplexing.  Did I miss something in the build?
>
> When using svn+ssh://, yes, you'd be using port 22. But when using
> the svn:// protocol, you'd be using the svnserve port 3690.
>
> svn:// and svn+ssh:// work differently. svn:// connects over 3690
> to a running svnserve daemon on the server. svn+ssh:// does not
> make use of any running daemon; rather, it starts svnserve itself
> every time you connect, and stops it when you're done. So svnserve
> needs to be in the path of the connecting user. It isn't, hence the
> error that it can't find the command svnserve.

Ryan,

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.

Posted by Jon Koerber <cr...@mac.com>.
On Dec 18, 2006, at 11:01 AM, Erik Huelsmann wrote:

> On 11/21/06, Jon Koerber <cr...@mac.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I have a svnserve daemon running on a LAN server (dual G4
>> Powermac) at
>> address 192.168.1.101.
>>
>> I am trying to connect to the server and checkout a project using
>> an Intel
>> MacBook client connected to the same network.
>>
>> Running svn --version gives the following on both machines (server
>> and
>> laptop client):
>>
>> The following repository access (RA) modules are available:
>>
>> * ra_dav : Module for accessing a repository via WebDAV (DeltaV)
>> protocol.
>>   - handles 'http' scheme
>> * ra_svn : Module for accessing a repository using the svn network
>> protocol.
>>   - handles 'svn' scheme
>> * ra_local : Module for accessing a repository on local disk.
>>   - handles 'file' scheme
>>
>> I am not running Apache 2.x so I believe I cannot use the http://
>> method to
>> connect to a subversion server. Let me know if I am mistaken on
>> this.  So
>> this leaves me with file:///, svn://, and svn+ssh:// for
>> connection methods.
>>
>> I would like to be able to use any of the above methods (depending
>> on where
>> I am located at the time - remote or local).  I am only able to
>> get the
>> file:/// method to work however.  I appreciate the help debugging my
>> connection issues.  Here are my attempts to connect using the
>> three methods
>> from above:
>>
>> The project repository on the server is located at
>> /Library/WebServer/Documents/pjb2
>>
>> 1) Try using svn checkout
>> svn://192.168.1.101/Library/WebServer/Documents/pjb2
>> /projects
>> This runs for two minutes or more before reporting back with svn:
>> Can't
>> connect to host '192.168.1.101': Operation timed out
>
> Do you have a firewall blocking port 3690?

Erik,

I do have a firewall running on my server, but it looks like SSH runs
on port 22 on Mac OS X Tiger.  Just in case, I added an allow rule
for port 3690 and tried the command again with no luck.  I then

Posted by Erik Huelsmann <eh...@gmail.com>.