Posted to user@vcl.apache.org by Randy Sprague <rs...@lsit.ucsb.edu> on 2010/08/12 23:23:21 UTC

"Add Single Computer" Question: add vm's directly here by hostname & IP or only ESX hosts?

Do I need to add the ESX 4.1 host itself in the managment node->Add Computer->Add Single Computer screen, or
just the vm's by name & IP?

Thanks,
Randy.

Re: "Add Single Computer" Question: add vm's directly here by hostname & IP or only ESX hosts?

Posted by Randy Sprague <rs...@lsit.ucsb.edu>.
Hi Josh,

Thanks again for taking the time to provide me a detailed explanation of the steps remaining to integrate vcl with
our vmware esx 4.1 host & vm's.  Andy Kurth has also offered to have a telecon with me next week sometime to do
the final vmware integration, should I need that extra help.  I'm grateful to you and your team for supporting me
as I work towards deploying vcl at UCSB in a very practical way.  The project here is part of a student-fee funded
initiative called "Collaborate", of which I was their first technical hire..

It would be extremely useful and helpful to get the documentation shaped-up into better alignment with the current
version of the system, which it's obviously not in many areas.  Having started my career as a database programmer
over 25-yrs. ago, I understand how much everyone dislikes that task - as it's the least personally rewarding of all that
could be assigned, yet it's the most visible to the customer - therefore, a little love here goes a long way!  Requiring
users to manually tweak hash values and input contents into vcl tables outside of the vcl system is a pain and adds
unnecessary complexity to what seems an already daunting installation task, IMHO.  Each of those manual-intervention
steps within the installation, creates a 'customer fail opportunity' which only adds to the team's workload.

A few words which may be of interest to your team...
We at UCSB are definitely in that camp of new vcl adopters who find the only acceptable-use model of the
system for our campus lies in integrating vcl with existing VMWare ESX 4.1 host & vm's.  I went through
a fairly comprehensive evaluation of several software & hardware vendors virtualization engines, including
Citrix / Xen, Virtual Iron (now Oracle and deprecated to non-supported status), KVM (a promising but not-yet-
ready-for-primetime player) and we finally settled on vmware.  I'd managed a
number of server farms containing dozens of vmware hosts and too-many-vm's-to-count for about
10-yrs., so I had plenty of vmware background to fall back upon.

FYI, we had seriously considered vmware view as an alternative to vcl, but view clearly lacks the rich
scheduling and bare-metal provisioning capabilities your team has built into vcl.  When push came to
shove, vcl came out on the top of the heap for several reasons, including cost & flexibility.

Those factors collectively made vcl the only valid choice for UCSB's VLAB project, of which I am both
the lead programmer, sysadmin and 'lone evangelist' if you will.  The deans are listening very closely
because this project will save them a lot of money over other available solution sets aimed at the
same problem.  Over the span of a couple of years, that alone will talk louder than anything else we do.

Ultimately, I'll be deploying this and integrating it with student roles and class lists from campus LDAP servers.
We'll be providing the capabilities for 25 simultaneous off-campus students to access the same software resources
they'd normally have to drive to a campus computer lab to access, namely Windows XP workstation vm's with
SPSS+ / SAS / MatLab and other special statistical, linguistic and analytical software installed and configured.

I'm quite certain that there are universities and colleges all across the country who would benefit from using vcl
and could make a serious dent in completing otherwise budget-starved initiatives to improve online and off-campus
educational opportunities for their students, as we at UCSB intend to do.

Anything you and your team can do to help me succeed, ultimately reflects positively on the vcl team and project
as a whole, and I assure you that we will do all we can to promote it to our colleagues in the industry.

All the best,
Randy.

Randy Sprague,
Instructional SysAdmin