Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by "Jonathan D. Hicks" <Dr...@lapsed.org> on 2006/09/16 04:22:22 UTC

[users@httpd] Apache 2 transfer logs.

I am mailing to ask why Apache's logging behavior was changed from 1.3 so
that the %b and %B format strings describe bytes requested instead of
bytes transferred. What is the reason to do this?

As a customer with a webhosting provider who relies both on Apache 2's
standard logging and log analysis utilities such as analog to track my
bandwidth use, this functionality is highly inconvenient. I have read that
the use of mod_logio can provide the information necessary to log analysis
applications to more accurately monitor bandwidth use, but I am having
difficulty convincing my provider to implement it.

Any time a user terminates a connection before the request is fulfilled or
uses a popular "download acceleration" program (which are known to request
many bytes redundantly and terminate their connections once they've
received what they need) the logs show very inflated and inaccurate
bandwidth use. I am aware that lower level network monitoring /should/ be
used to track bandwidth, but this is not the case with some large
providers.

--
Jonathan D. Hicks