Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Yong Shiuh Rong <sh...@synamatix.com> on 2009/04/30 02:01:55 UTC

setting permission in svn repository folder

Hi there,
i have a repository with a number of projects, how can i set the permission
on some of the folders so that only certain users can access it?

yong

Re: shelves in subversion

Posted by Mark Phippard <ma...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, May 11, 2009 at 9:47 AM, Geir Engebakken
<ge...@edb.com> wrote:
> I have seen on the net that some people have added a new folder in addition to the standard trunk/tags/branches in SVN repsoitories, called shelves. These shelves are meant for "personal branches", that is a branch you make to be able to work in peace and quiet with your own stuff, and then merge this with trunk (or whatever) when you have finished. The idea here being that you can commit non compiling code at will, not disturbing others, while having the benefit that the code is under version control. Are there any "official" views on the usage of shelves in Svn, or any best-practice available?

I wrote a blog post about this, what seems like a lifetime ago now.

http://markphip.blogspot.com/2007/01/shelves-in-subversion.html

--
Thanks

Mark Phippard
http://markphip.blogspot.com/

Re: shelves in subversion

Posted by Andy Levy <an...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, May 11, 2009 at 09:47, Geir Engebakken <ge...@edb.com> wrote:
> I have seen on the net that some people have added a new folder in addition to the standard trunk/tags/branches in SVN repsoitories, called shelves. These shelves are meant for "personal branches", that is a branch you make to be able to work in peace and quiet with your own stuff, and then merge this with trunk (or whatever) when you have finished. The idea here being that you can commit non compiling code at will, not disturbing others, while having the benefit that the code is under version control. Are there any "official" views on the usage of shelves in Svn, or any best-practice available?

Whatever makes sense for your organization. As long as your hook
scripts don't fire indiscriminately, so that people aren't emailed or
builds aren't triggered when they aren't warranted, what's the harm?

I don't see how it's any different, apart from name, from creating a
private branch.

shelves in subversion

Posted by Geir Engebakken <ge...@edb.com>.
I have seen on the net that some people have added a new folder in addition to the standard trunk/tags/branches in SVN repsoitories, called shelves. These shelves are meant for "personal branches", that is a branch you make to be able to work in peace and quiet with your own stuff, and then merge this with trunk (or whatever) when you have finished. The idea here being that you can commit non compiling code at will, not disturbing others, while having the benefit that the code is under version control. Are there any "official" views on the usage of shelves in Svn, or any best-practice available?

Geir

Re: setting permission in svn repository folder

Posted by Andy Levy <an...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, May 5, 2009 at 22:13, Yong Shiuh Rong <sh...@synamatix.com> wrote:
> Hi Andy,
> It seems that it requires apache httpd which i never installed in my server.
> can i do it without apache?
> yong

svnserve supports the same per-directory access controls.

Posted by Yong Shiuh Rong <sh...@synamatix.com>.
i think i have got it done, thanks!

Posted by Yong Shiuh Rong <sh...@synamatix.com>.

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.

Re: File or directory '.' is out of date

Posted by Lieven Govaerts <sv...@mobsol.be>.
Try updating the folder MyProj, the data of "folder1" is written in
the administrative section of its parent folder, so it doesn't get
updated if you restrict the update to MyProj\folder1.

hth,

Lieven

Posted by Yong Shiuh Rong <sh...@synamatix.com>.
ah... my svn is version 1.5, that means it should support?
thanks!
yong

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.

Posted by Yong Shiuh Rong <sh...@synamatix.com>.