Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by snowcrash+sa <sc...@gmail.com> on 2007/08/20 01:28:58 UTC

is there any processor-dependency to sa-compile?

as long as my

  SA-version
  included rulesets
  enabled plugins

are the SAME from arch/OS to arch/OS, is it OK to simply compile rules
once somewhere, and push them to each box?

or, *is* there some sort of processor/architecture, or other
environmental, depdency that throws a wrench into the works?

thanks!

Re: is there any processor-dependency to sa-compile?

Posted by snowcrash+sa <sc...@gmail.com>.
hi,

> I think either different family, or different CPU arch, will be a
> problem to be honest...

yeah, probably right ... worth a look-see, though.

(or, i should simply build that 16-core Opteron box and be done with it ...)

> Yep, with a HUP.

thanks.

cheers!

Re: is there any processor-dependency to sa-compile?

Posted by snowcrash+sa <sc...@gmail.com>.
hi,

> it's compiled C code, so whatever affects portability of that will
> affect compiled rulesets too.

likely depends on choices of compile-time optimization, i think.

need to read up, and check if/what presumptions are made by sa-compile process.

i've cross-compiled across different arch's within a CPU family
before, so that's not an issue.  i've *not* done so across different
CPUs (e.g., PPC vs x86), so that'll need some investigation.

assuming 'all that' gets ironed out, is it sufficient to simply 'push'
the "/compiled" dir's contents to each box -- with a HUP of SA, i'd
guess?  or does each SA instance need to be otherwise 'informed' of
the presence/change of compiled rules/files?

thanks!