Posted to dev@struts.apache.org by Antonio Petrelli <an...@gmail.com> on 2008/04/09 16:03:11 UTC

Contributors list (WAS: Re: Feature sponsorship proposal)

2008/4/8, Antonio Petrelli <an...@gmail.com>:
> I meant, if a contributor helped with the help of a company, then we should
> write:
>  Wendy Windham (FooBar Co.)
> with no links, something really simple.

With an e-mail in Tiles-dev mailing list, Greg Reddin made me notice
that Shale maintains a list of contributors in their master pom:
http://shale.apache.org/team-list.html
What about doing something similar in Struts?

Antonio

Re: Contributors list (WAS: Re: Feature sponsorship proposal)

Posted by Antonio Petrelli <an...@gmail.com>.
2008/4/9, Martin Cooper <ma...@apache.org>:

> If we had been adding contributors to the POM from the beginning of
> Struts,
> the POM would have several hundred lines of contributor information in it
> by
> now.

I got your point, in fact Struts (1 and 2) is a really big and popular
project, so the number of contributors is very large. If you don't like
putting it into the POM, why not a simple text file as Frank W. Zammetti
suggested? Moreover, we could force the contributor to check the presence of
his/her name in the file and post a patch for it too (otherwise, his/her
name won't appear).

I promise you, it will lead to insignificant patch
> submissions from people whose sole reason for submitting them is to get
> their name "in lights" on the Struts web site.

It seems like you already lived a situation like this :-D Anyway, if this
solution is not feasible, it's not a problem. I wanted only to explain the
situation from a contributor standpoint (not mine obviously :-) ).

Antonio

Posted by Martin Cooper <ma...@apache.org>.
On Wed, Apr 9, 2008 at 7:49 AM, Antonio Petrelli <an...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> 2008/4/9, Martin Cooper <ma...@apache.org>:
> >
> > On Wed, Apr 9, 2008 at 7:03 AM, Antonio Petrelli <
> > antonio.petrelli@gmail.com>
> > wrote:

> > > should
> > >
> > > With an e-mail in Tiles-dev mailing list, Greg Reddin made me notice
> > > that Shale maintains a list of contributors in their master pom:
> > > http://shale.apache.org/team-list.html
> > > What about doing something similar in Struts?
> >

> > How do you define "contributor"? Does someone who submits a patch to
> > correct
> > a typo in a comment get their name on this list?
>

> Yes, he/she is a contributor, it does not matter if he/she provides a
> patch,
> a piece of docs, or corrects a typo. I think it is a way of saying "hey,
> thank you" even if he/she did little work.

So every time anyone applies a patch, they also need to update the master
POM and ensure that the patch submitter's name is included? I bet that's
popular with the folks applying patches. ;-)

This is similar to the @author discussion, and the questions I
> > just asked are part of the reason that we decided, long ago, to not use
> > @author tags. I'd just as soon not reintroduce the issue in this guise.
>

> This is not similar, IMHO, since the code belongs to the foundation, but
> the
> contribution came from the outside. Remember that, with a contribution, a
> contributor does not have any copyright. At least we should thank him/her.
> Moreover, this is a way for finding new committers.

It is the same issue. If someone submits a chunk of code in a patch,
shouldn't they have their name added in the @author tags if @author tags are
in use? Again, what is the threshold for a contribution before it becomes
@author-worthy? It's the same question as adding someone to the POM.

If we had been adding contributors to the POM from the beginning of Struts,
the POM would have several hundred lines of contributor information in it by
now. Personally, I'm not keen on managing a POM of that size, but if
everyone else is happy having to edit that for every patch, well...

The thank-you for a patch is the inclusion of the submitter's name in the
commit message. That is exactly why we do that. The inclusion of every
contributor name on the web site raises the same questions as for @author
tags insofar as it becomes an ego boosting mechanism more than the thank-you
we already gave. I promise you, it will lead to insignificant patch

Posted by Antonio Petrelli <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Martin Cooper <ma...@apache.org>.
On Wed, Apr 9, 2008 at 7:03 AM, Antonio Petrelli <an...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> 2008/4/8, Antonio Petrelli <an...@gmail.com>:
> > I meant, if a contributor helped with the help of a company, then we
> should
> > write:
> >  Wendy Windham (FooBar Co.)
> > with no links, something really simple.
>
> With an e-mail in Tiles-dev mailing list, Greg Reddin made me notice
> that Shale maintains a list of contributors in their master pom:
> http://shale.apache.org/team-list.html
> What about doing something similar in Struts?

How do you define "contributor"? Does someone who submits a patch to correct
a typo in a comment get their name on this list? If not, where does the
boundary lie? This is similar to the @author discussion, and the questions I